Recommendations for sensors?

If I were driving into my garage with a car, the PIR sensor should still fire, right?

Most likely, yes. However, PIR sensors are sometimes optimized to pick up human sized objects. I have three PIR sensors in my garage; I’ll find out today if they pick up my car.

Edit: Looking at the event logs, the motion detectors pick up my exiting the car. They don’t pick up the car entering the garage.

1 Like

Just a silly thought, but wouldn't you want the lights to come on when the doors that need to be open prior to the car driving into the garage? So why not trigger the lights off of a door sensor?

The motion sensor should turn the lights on when a person walks in from a standard passage / person door.

I found these on eBay and ordered a few. They are pretty good quality, very adjustable, and look pretty good.

1 Like

Nice brackets! Yeah, a good idea.

My V3s I mounted with Alien tape so that it was releaseable so that I could get the battery compartment open easily... Those brackets would be a real winner for sure.

in my home the garage already has lights connected to the garage door opener which turn on when the garage doors open. I just wanted to have the other lights turn on also just to increase the illumination which would be acceptable in my case as the car is driving in. However based on the other feedback, it sounds like that probably would not work.

One more question about PIR sensors. Will they sense a human being who is absolutely still?

I have a motion sensor in my garage for this exact reason. I've never noticed if the car turns it on, but it fires as soon as someone gets out of the car, so it is useful. And this is even with the sensor pointed more towards the entrance to the house than the garage door.

1 Like

Usually not. I have had instances where someone is doing something passive in a room like reading or watching tv, and the lights will go off. I've mitigated this in two ways. First, simply by increasing the time before the lights turn off. Second by adding more than one motion sensor in some larger rooms, and using the motion zone app to treat them as one sensor. It takes a bit of tweaking and getting feedback from family, but I've got mine so that almost never happens.

Generally speaking, no. There are occupancy sensors which claim to do so, but I have no experience with them.

In my limited experience with the occupancy sensors that come with my Ecobee thermostat, the same problem exists but is mostly mitigated by a long delay before registering "no occupancy", i.e. 20-30 minutes. But I have a few times while sitting pretty still for that long seen it switch to "not present".

2 Likes

So I got the Irs V3 sensors today. Paired one for my Master Bathroom and instant success! Was even happy that the sticker to activate the battery was still present, so I guess these are actually new. Anyway, I added the sensor the appropriate dashboard and was befuddled to say that no data was displaying. If I used the multifunction sensor tile, it simply said "unknown" with a big question mark. When I used the battery tile, it just gave "??%." When I used temperature and humidity tiles, it just displayed UNKNOWN.

Is that normal? Is there now way within dashboard to see the data being monitored by this sensor?

You can use the attribute tile to see the individual attribute values, but you may need to delete the tile, exit the dashboard and then come back in and create it again (had to do this the other day with a new motion sensor)

So I tried that, but the only attributes it's allowing me to display are "mode status," "HSM status" and "last updated"

It’s not getting anything from the device (or thinks it isn’t). Did you hit configure after including the device?

I don't recall getting an option. It's included as "Generic Zigbee Motion/Humidity Sensor." Is that not the right driver? The motion rules I set up aren't working with either of the two I paired so far.

I found some Iris drivers but none of them seem to refer specifically to this sensor

I also found a "configure" button within the details of the device, but pressing/clicking on it does nothing.

Before getting this device (or any other) to work with the Dashboard, it is probably best to first get it working as expected from the device page.

So "Generic Zigbee Motion/Humidity Sensor" is the correct driver. What device attributes are displayed on the device page. Could you post a screen shot?

1 Like