Recommendations for sensors?

My preference is for zigbee. Also, it is simple to make a magnetic pivot mount for these sensors to mount them in corners or angles.

2 Likes

That is a trick question here as some are more favorable to one or the other. I personally have seen zigbee motion sensors noticeably faster response than zwave.

Others may feel the opposite.

2 Likes

Most of my Zigbee lights respond faster than Z-wave, but I wasn't sure if that had anything to do with the technology or the way Hubitat handles them.

1 Like

Iris by Lowes pulled from the market at the end of march 2019. The only source for sensors from Iris is pre owned, or New Old Stock. Either way your best bet would be Ebay.

Like others here are saying, the seller is top notch. I am not them nor do I have a vested interest other than they have done me right. About 80% of my Iris stuff came from them. I have had one bad V2 and one bad V3 sensor, and they were beyond good with customer service and sent replacements out and made sure they worked.

The Sonoff stuff on Ebay is direct from the MFG, I believe they have a good reputation here. Mind you almost everything electronics wise is going to come from China, the question is do you want it sitting in a USA warehouse and ready to ship to you quickly, or do you want to save some money and be patient with shipping?

To be blunt, if I were starting all over again, and staying with Hubitat, all the money I could want, I would still likely go with the used Iris sensors. They work very well, and are cosmetically unobtrusive, which I can NOT say for the Tradfri sensors.

No knocking Ikea or their Tradfri line, the stuff works, and does its job exactly as expected, but the items are just physically large compared to everything else that has been on the market recently.

No motion sensitivity adjustments. And as stated above, you need to provide sticky stuff to hold it on. I use 3M double sided mounting tape...

??

Do you mean Sonoff?

Nope. I was referring to what I thought were previously mentioned Ikea Tradfri Motion sensors. Functional, but chunky no temp or humidity readings etc...

Honestly if you want to buy new, need a basic motion sensor, and don't mind them being big for what they are, you are going to be very hard pressed to beat the Ikea Tradfri sensors...

Is there a trick to get the Tradfri motion sensor to work through Hubitat?

Every time I've tried, the sensor has "stolen" the bulb from the hub.

Not being able to adjust the sensitivity on the Iris V3 kinda bothers me, though. I was hoping to put these in small rooms like bathrooms and a sink room where we wash dishes. I want them to be sensitive to flip on the light when the door is opened, but not so sensitive that someone merely moving by the room when its door is left opened causes the sensor to fire.

Basically I'm the obsessive compulsive one in the household. Everyone else leaves lights on, leaves doors open, etc, and I'm trying to fix that problem as best as I can with tech.

There aren’t many sensors with adjustable sensitivity where the adjustment works even semi-reliably. I have found the best solution to be careful positioning. For example, my sensors in bathrooms cannot detect someone unless they are in the room.

3 Likes

This is true

It is a big $13 gamble you're risking

3 Likes

I just thought of one thing - the Iris V3 also senses humidity, right? I guess I could use them in the bathrooms to turn on/off the ventilation fans based on humidity levels created by showers.

If you put the sensor pointing into the room, rather than towards the door, that will eliminate the false triggering when motion occurs outside the room. Another possibility for small rooms like that is to replace the light switch with a presense type of switch. It will be outside of your other automations, but they are stupid reliable. As long as you have power, they work. This is what I have used in some bathrooms and utility room.

Also, you can adjust the amount of time before they turn off.

I use humidity sensors for that purpose - they work quite well. @jameslslate described a method of sensor positioning that is very similar to what I use.

You ever have one of those days when the facts you were sure of turned out bad?

Check devices and compatibility List of Compatible Devices - Hubitat Documentation

I could have sworn the entire Tradfri line was supported.

I whole heartedly own up to my mistake. I have no idea where I saw that they were supported. But if I find it again I will bump to validate the info and get it fixed, or verify that they do indeed work...

I wanted to address your concerns about over sensitivity. It's all about placement.

In my bathrooms, I put the sensors on the ceiling, just above the shower curtain rod, between the wall and the light fixture. I have ZERO instances of lights coming on when I don't want.

The vanity rooms are separate from the bathroom, and I have a sensor pointing at each door, from the opposite doorway. The room is maybe 12' long. And I haven't a clue how it knows, but I can walk immediately by the open door and no unintended light activation. BUT, I stick a toe into the doorway and the lights come on...

And yes, the V3 does also have humidity sensor. So yes, if you have a smart control switch for the vent van, you can trigger it with the V3 motion sensor.

Message to all. If anyone knows about the post / thread I was talking about with the Tradfri motion sensors working please let me know about it. I fear I may have crossed some mental wires and been thinking Smartthings still... If so, I apologize again...

1 Like

OK, you guys sold me on the Iris V3s. I ordered three of them for now. May check back with you here to help on automations for on/off triggering with motion and humidity triggering vent fans turning on/off.

Also, I think I'll use this sensor for my garage. If it sense my garage door opening, then I can write a routine that will tell it to turn on my other garage lights which are also on smart switches. I think you said you've used the sensor in your League City garage without issues, which is reassuring.

Motion sensors are PIR sensors. They may not detect inanimate objects that don’t emit a significant amount of IR light.

I would use a tilt sensor for your garage door.

2 Likes

Yes I have iris sensors in my garage. Contact sensors on hinges rigged as tilt sensors for the overhead doors, and motion sensor to trigger the light back on if I am working out there and my wife cuts the lights off.

OK, stupid question here... what does PIR stand for?

Passive infrared. Here's how they work:

2 Likes