[Re-release] Hubitat Ring Integration (Unofficial)

Is anyone having issues with Locking and Unlocking door locks through Ring after updating to 2.2.4?

I have a hub with 2.2.3 and it works perfectly. However, on my hubs with 2.2.4.141 (same on 2.2.4.139) when I either try to Lock or Unlock my locks through Ring, I temporarily lose access to my base station on the app, and on the web site, I see the following occur:

Is anyone aware of a change in 2.2.4.141 that could cause this to occur?

Just to make sure I understand, you have the locks directly paired to Ring, and you are using this Ring integration to expose the locks so HE can also see them, and completely independent of HE, when you lock/unlock via the Ring app it doesn't work? Or is the issue trying to lock/unlock from HE on 2.2.3.x vs 2.2.4.x?

Or are you using HE in any of those scenarios?

Either way, Ring's own backend and website contacting it's own hub shouldn't be affected at all by HE and this integration.

That is correct.

That is the correct scenario. When I try to lock/unlock from HE on 2.2.4.X, it does something that seems to crash something in Ring. It is then unavailable to the web site or to the app until it comes back on-line several seconds later. I also get a notification e-mail from Ring that my alarm is off-line. It's like it does something to its ability to connect to the wifi or internet.

That's super weird. Good news is it seems like you isolated the issues to a change between 2.2.3.x and 2.2.4x, but who knows what that could be. Do you see anything different in your logs when you turn on debug? (I'm not a developer, so just asking questions to see if we can tweak something, I also have my two Schlage locks paired directly to HE instead of Ring. With Ring I have only paired directly a few contact sensors, 2 montion detectors and two smoke/CO detectors)

I might need to pair my locks to HE if I can’t find another solution... (but then I lose the ability to lock through Ring...:worried:) either that or setup a second hub with only Ring Connect on it, leaving it with 2.2.3 and using HubConnect to share the lock... both non ideal scenarios...

Thanks for asking about the logs! Initially, nothing came up, but I gave up too quickly... after a few seconds, I get this:

It looks like there were a few z-wave lock updates in 2.2.4 and a change in a few of the lock drivers.
@bcopeland - Any idea what could have changed between 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 here?

@Sebastien - If you still have 2.2.3 running, one thing you could look at in the logs to compare 2.2.4 and 2.2.3 is if anything changes in the info sent from line 65 here (e.g. the values in zid, dst or data) which routes through the simpleRequest in line 4150 here .

(On a total side note, it's super concerning from Ring that potentially a malformed lock command push could knock the Ring Alarm of off it's connectivity)

Are you thinking that the changes that were made to the lock drivers should be made to the Ring Virtual Lock?

I do have 2.2.3 running, but with all logging turned on, they remain empty...

Right!?! I was thinking the exact same thing...

My sweet wild-■■■ guess is perhaps there was a change in 2.2.4 that changed some of the properties and/or paramaters passed through slightly changed. As this app is constructing the webhook call to the Ring Alarm base the same way, so I'm imagining something in the actual content/data must have changed.

Interesting, could you turn tracing on?

From the simpleRequest method on line 1450, there is both logging for the simpleRequest call and a tracedebug for the data. I'm really suprised you aren't getting that as the lock and unlock commands in the Ring Lock driver call that method.

I'd love to do this, but I'm not sure how to do it... Been at this for more than a year now and still I feel like I am learning something new every couple of days!

You now have my interest even more.

In the early 2.2.4 betas, I couldn't send "mode" commands to ring from the Hub (e.g., Disarm, Home, Away). I could READ them, but not set them. All my Door Contact sensor readings, smoke alarm readings, motion sensor readings--all that was working fine. Just sending the arming requests was a problem.

The symptoms were exactly as described here: the Ring Hub went nuts.

Actually, about the first time I saw it, the Ring Hub was like totally hosed. I had to unplug it from the wall AND pull the battery to get it completely powered down. It was 100% non-responsive before that. Then, after that, it would generally just drop off for a few moments at every command.

However, somewhere about the release of .139, it started working for me OK.

Not sure what the deal is.

I also do seem to recall there was SOME discussion (heaven knows were) about something related to HTTP (maybe?) stuff creating problems over time that was supposed to be fixed in 2.2.4. Seemed like the Beta Chromecast integration was triggering that bug (among various, other apps).

I'm still on the ".1" version of the Ring App (it was working--and the migration looked to be painful).

No problem, so I'd suggest you go to devices -> Find your lock and on that page you should see the following to turn on logging (and tracing) to see:

Then go to Apps -> Unofficial Ring Connect-> and to Configure logging at the bottom and you should see something like this animated gif:
ring-logging

Huh, so if that's the case then my wild guess is probably totally wrong then. Granted, if @Sebastien sees that exact same things coming from this app in both 2.2.4 and 2.2.3 then it's definitely something else going on.

It could also be changes on Ring's side. Who knows.

I know the dude that re-published the app hasn't figured it all out (some pretty complex reverse engineering of Ring's IFTTT implementation) and doesn't have time to get that deep into it now.

Perhaps. For Sebastien this seems to work fine on 2.2.3... hence the thought process here.

1 Like

That might be the issue - I enabled logging on the app, but not the device. I’ll see what it does this evening when I enable it in both on both the 2.2.3 and the 2.2.4 hubs.

Well, it works on the hub with 2.2.3 while at the « same » time, it doesn’t on the one with 2.2.4, so I think we can eliminate that.

I’ll be curious to know if anyone else that has 2.2.4 with locks integrated through Ring has the same issue! I assume everyone will based on my huge 2-hub sample size... :wink:

Yeah, if you have data like that, it would seem so.

In my case, I was beta-testing 2.2.4 and it was busted--then later, it started working.

Kinda rando--and my sample size was tiny. So, I was keeping an open mind. :slight_smile:

Are you now able to lock-unlock your locks with the latest 2.2.4?

Not sure who that was aimed at. But. I have all my locks directly on my HE Hub. The door sensor, motion detectors, smoke alarms--are all on Ring. I read/react to their status and both set and react to changes to the Hub's "mode" (armed home/armed away/disarmed). That's mostly it.

1 Like

On that note, @Sebastien - could you try setting the Ring "Mode" from HE on 2.2.4 and see if you also hit Rob's issue?
That would further help scope if the issue is broad about sending commands back to Ring's Web-socket in general or just an issue with Locks.

I can set the alarm to home, armed home and armed away with no issue - assuming that's the issue Rob was having...