[RE-RELEASE] EcoWitt and Wittboy Weather Stations And Sensors (Local)

I think the first thing will be to work out, which you may have done already, if data is getting to HE at all.... I would normally, temporarily, update the Device Network Id of the gateway device and then see if error / warning logs appear in the HE logs saying it can't find where to send the data received on port 39501.

If the data is making it to HE, then there is definitely something weird going on.... But my guess is the issues lies in getting the data to HE, and is unlikely to be related to any driver changes (though I'm not ruling it out entirely).

1 Like

I may try setting it up again in the future but for now I’ve Moved over to using Snells weatherflow driver and moved away from the UdP relay in an effort to get my home back to normal. When I get some time I’ll revisit it.

1 Like

Not necessarily related to the driver, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer. Is there a way to get a dashboard tile that displays all information, for example Temp/Humidity and (optionally). battery on one tile rather than having to create multiple tiles for each data point?

Not easily, I’ve assigned this task to Simon as a key 2024 goal.

@sburke781 :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks boss :grin:

Have I mentioned I'm a data guy who dabbled in analytics or is surrounded by those guys :slightly_smiling_face:

To try and deflect the focus... Try looking at @garyjmilne 's tile builder,,, hopefully that will distract you for a while,,, :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, nah. :wink:

Just copy paste the Ecowitt app UI and we’ll call your goal “exceeded “. :+1:

Or you can copy the tiles from the Netatmo integration and get a “met goal” rating. :wink:

If I wasn’t a moron, I’d help you out with the programming. :weary:

2 Likes

In all seriousness, can you recycle the tile code from the Netatmo integration I linked to above?

2 Likes

Probably, and when I make some more headway with my Tasker project I may look at this some more. My hesitation with this, apart from time, is with being torn between offering a built-in tile for EcoWitt users, verses presenting what is a relatively ubiquitous set of information for any weather device. I've posted about my desire for this in the past, well before taking on the EcoWitt drivers, from memory. Things like Bryan's Tile Master and even more in @garyjmilne 's Tile Builder, offer more in this space, which I would also like to explore in more detail. Definitely the aggregate values, those are something I think can live in the driver, but how best to present them, that may be best placed elsewhere....

So it's not a no.... :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, we can’t even get the Hubitat team to give us a combined tile for temperature and humidity, or non-hard coded aircon options that are too inflexible for use with the reverse cycle AC systems that have been in use outside of the USA for the last 30 years and are apparently this new technology called “heat pumps”. :man_facepalming:

I’m also running out of ram on my main c8 and don’t want to install anymore software.

So I’m going to keep pestering you. :disappointed:

3 Likes

A gentle nudge every now and again is not a bad thing.... At the right time it may spark an interest in actually doing something :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is an incredible beauty in simplicity.

The single most useful thing on my several Hubitat devices is this Ecowitt weather station driver. Temp on the left tile, humidity on the right (when I need it, which is less often). Each measured thing/location on its own row. Battery if I choose to trust it (probably better than most, but are any battery reports reliable?). Works like a charm for various Rules.

Not to dissuade Simon @sburke781 from changing things to meet others' needs, but on the list of things in Hubitat home automation for which I am grateful, this is right there near the top, with nothing else required. Thanks for that! I can easily live with each value on its own tile, but others' needs may vary.

4 Likes

Particularly when it reduces the work for the developer.... :wink:

But yes, I agree, that is largely my thinking when it comes to keeping the drivers focused on bringing the EcoWitt data into HE, and, if needed, aggregating it, but presentation for EcoWitt or any other weather station would ideally be dealt with in a central / common driver.

We also have to live in the real world :wink: So we'll see what it delivers in the meantime...

3 Likes

It’s a shame Ecowitt don’t provide the min / max temp data. That’s something else I really miss from the Netatmo.

2 Likes

I could understand the complexity it may pose to provide that via an electronics solution (the gateway) vs the likely simpler option of the web dashboard. Our services as developers come at a lower cost compared to the cost of physical parts that may be required for a solution like that on-board (says the guy who has very little knowledge of that space....)

1 Like

To be honest, I'm not SO concerned about battery. Yeah, the battery levels in these devices can be unsure at times. However. The 2- tile approach really doesn't work for me. I'm maxed out on temp/humidity sensors (I'm even debating revving my questionable GW1100 as bad as it was to get more. But there are other devices with multiple data sets. the WS90 Wittboy has several, Air Quality Monitor as well. would be nice to at least be able to easily pull them together in one tile per device.
To give you an idea, here is my Current Ecowiit.Net dashboard. and I have a couple of devices that aren't even included here.

2 Likes

An alternative solution would be to export the data to InfluxDB and make use of pre-hand-crafted dashboards in Grafana.... An easy option (for me) given your previous interest in this :slight_smile:

Influx/Grafana may not suit all setups or people, but it is still a valid option for those interested in that level of visibility. Again, not deflecting entirely from what I can deliver in the EcoWitt driver, but alternatives people may be interested in.

I actually have it set up, but no clue how to do much with it. The dashboards I have are one that @jtp10181 put together and made available. I started trying to play with a new dashboard the other day, and had no clue where to begin.

Then that may be another avenue to explore, along with pre-defined tiles, whether in the EcoWitt driver or elsewhere. Good to know....

I wrote Tile Builder for four main reasons. A) I wanted more (a lot more) information on a screen than stock Hubitat would provide. B) I wanted to be able to customize it significantly. C) I was tired of each solution I installed having their own way of creating tiles. D) I did not like having all these custom devices hanging out just to store a 1k block of HTML. (Tile Builder stores up to 25 "tiles" per storage device.)

Now anyone can write an awesome driver and spend zero time worrying about coding a UI unless they want to. In the case of Tile Builder about 80% of the code is the UI generation tool and 20% is filling the template with information. Being event based it's pretty low impact.

Someone mentioned about not wanting to install more software. In many cases you can actually reduce the amount of software on your hub because it can replace many single purpose solutions. I'll tag @jshimota here as he is the best case I know of this.

4 Likes

If you can just flip that, it would be great.... :wink:

1 Like