[RE-RELEASE] EcoWitt and Wittboy Weather Stations And Sensors (Local)

Welcome aboard @user6617, including to our little group.

My suspicion is that the device event limit may be set at the default level, which is likely too low for the number of events the EcoWitt driver produces, particularly when it rains. Try adjusting the "too many events..." setting on device 101 to something higher and see if you stop seeing the error message and start seeing updates come through for the various weather readings.

EDIT - I say this without having tested this theory. Should be fairly easy to do in the morning if you want me to.

1 Like

Thank you @sburke781 for the reply!! I did try increasing the settings on the three fields but still seem to get the same error. I see that you are suggesting this on the RF sensor, however I am getting this error from the gateway. I have one WN32 that I have placed inside the nursery that I am trying to read data from. As per the instructions, it seems the RF sensors get automatically added? They are not showing up on their own yet, probably because of the parse() error?
Thanks!!

Ok, thanks for reporting back... I will test this some more.... and see what I can work out (hopefully over this weekend, but we will see). Anyone else is free to chime in :slight_smile:

So I updated my Hubitat as it had been a while. Went from 2.3.5.152 to 2.3.8.134. Now I seem to getting a different logged message as shown below -

Current state -

I got the same error a couple of hours ago when I was setting up a test gateway device on another hub. From memory I think it was that I didn't have the gateway ip/mac populated in the device preferences. Have you got that populated on your gateway device?

Yes, I have the IP of the Hubitat setup on the gateway device as shown below -

I did the Trace debug, and it seems that Hubitat is connected to the gateway and receiving information, however it fails when it tries to create a sensor? Not sure, I am guessing based on the log below -

Sorry, I meant in the preferences of the HE device for your Gateway, e.g. have you got this setting populated with the mac address of your EcoWitt gateway?

Yes I do have that populated with the MAC of the gateway.

From gateway -

The last set of logs where you did the trace don't seem to include the error between the heap and interval attribute debug messages, like your earlier logs did.... Has the sensor been created now? Or are you still seeing the error coming through?

And thanks for confirming the mac setting.

Yes, I went back to the main Device List page and it actually shows up!

Excellent!! Thank you for supporting this! It seems that the culprit was my old Hubitat firmware. Thanks again!!

1 Like

That's good news.... Not sure I completely understand why it happened, but glad you got it working.

I don’t know if you mean a single tile space or a single tile period, but I have achieved things for power and switch, and power an thermostat, using transparency and z index with CSS where the control tile is 50% transparent and the power tile is in the background

1 Like

You actually can. Use a Weather tile.

If you mind the useless Wind direction and speed, hide it with CSS

1 Like

Using the Weather tile offends my sense aesthetics. Way too much clutter for my liking and violates the universal law “use the right tool for the job”.

A bit dramatic I know, but I’m blaming my ASD. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

What if you hide the clutter with CSS ? I am not at the computer but I’m sure it’s pretty easy to do.

1 Like

Unfortunately my knowledge of CSS lies somewhere between Zero and None. :disappointed:

1 Like

Not sure why I didn't pick up on this earlier, but you can use one of the predefined templates to display temperature and humidity and the battery percentage, template 0B (that's a zero).

Template 0 doesn't have the battery.

3 Likes

Try using this CSS:

.weather div.weatherCity {visibility:hidden; height:0px; width:0px}
.weather div.weatherCurrent {visibility:hidden; height:0px; width:0px}
.weather div.weatherSpeed {visibility:hidden; height:0px; width:0px}
.weather div.weatherDirection {visibility:hidden; height:0px; width:0px}
.weather div.weatherTemperature {font-size:2em; height:1.5em; overflow-y:hidden}
.weather div.weatherHumidity {font-size:2em; height:1.5em; overflow-y:hidden}

It will give you something that looks like this with the weather tile

What is template 0B ? I don't have that option in my dashboard. Can we somehow create new custom templates ?

No, it's not a custom template within the dashboard itself, it's an option the previous developer of these drivers introduced, allowing the configuration of multiple attributes that include html for displaying common readings. In the sensor devices in HE you can add these template id's and new html attribute(s) will appear for the included readings. You can then select these using the Attribute tile template in your dashboard.

If you click on the Documentation link for that setting you can see more details, though, not all the documentation on this has kept pace with changes in the list of templates available, so you can look at the json file for the complete list:

https://sburke781.github.io/ecowitt/html/ecowitt.json

One other thing to point out, the option to paste html-like template information into the preference setting is no longer available.

Like has been mentioned previously, there is a point at which adding more options in this space becomes less desirable as it is adding more advanced display options that are specific to this driver. I am all for offering some basic options to give people a starting point for displaying the information, including making changes to produce tiles closer to what EcoWitt offer in their dashboards, but as people want something more advanced, I think options like @garyjmilne 's Tile Builder and others become more appropriate to put time and effort into as they are focused on fine-tuned display of information that can be used across different devices / drivers, not just EcoWitt.

2 Likes