Radar human sensor (Tuya)

Tuya continues to bring out some very interesting products....

Tuya WiFi motion PIR 110V -240V light luminosity sensor radar human presence detector

2 Likes

Very interesting indeed! Seems it is actually a Zigbee device?

Not cheep, but could be interesting if there was a driver available for it…

1 Like

Yeah agreed. So many cheap and innovative Chinese products coming out but integration is a real gap right now. I like the idea of having ceiling mounted, mains powered motion sensors and then would willingly throw away all the nasty ugly battery powered devices perched on shelves and stuck on walls.

1 Like

I would buy this if it were not for the price :man_shrugging:

1 Like

This seems similar but slightly less expensive:

Yeah, I spotted that one too but it's so ugly. Seems more like a classic PIR sensor but does also state it can spot static bodies. Weird looking device tho.

Bear in mind that microwave people sensors are just different to infrared. They both have advantages and disadvantages and these might be less useful than you'd hope. I guess that's why intruder sensors use dual mode sensors.

But detecting presence that last once people don't move e.g. asleep on sofa is still not easy at all, cf say fallen too, and not a dog.

That Amazon link says that one does sleep detection though. It is ugly - a bit like a miniaturized CTI scanner

Currently I'm using a camera in the lounge with person and face detection in tinyCam. It works great at keeping the lights on when there is no motion. I was running tinyCam on a tablet but when I had an issue with that device (battery failed) I ended up trying to run tinyCam instead on my Sony Android TV and found that it works there perfectly, including even running in the background mode when the TV is on standby! That was a real surprise. So I have a good solution now but would still like to test ceiling mounted radar devices if someone smarter than me can develop the drivers! :smile:

1 Like

Primarily to reduce the incidence of false alerts. I looked at using readily available microwave sensors as a secondary outdoor sensor (while hue motion sensors are generally great performers they are easily triggered on hot weather with pretty much any movement unless the sensitivity is dialled way down) but they do need more power than batteries can supply.

1 Like

Yesterday I received my "ZigBee呼吸存在传感器 " ( Google translated it as 'ZigBee Breath Presence Sensor' :slight_smile: ) -the same model as shown on Sebastian's picture above, but I am highly disappointed with its behavior at the moment.

When a presence is detected, this radar bombards the Zigbee coordinator (the HE hub) every single second with packets containing the distance between the sensor and the detected object. Two such sensors and any Zigbee network will be on its knees ... :frowning: I am afraid that there is no way to stop or configure the frequency of these distance measurements updates (I observed the same effect when paired to Tuya Zigbee gateway and configured from SmartLife mobile app), which makes these toys practically unusable outside of an isolated Lab environment. Let's hope I am wrong and there is a way to configure the distance reporting frequency.

4 Likes

Beware while in the office! :rofl:

6 Likes

The first version of the driver is ready.

And these are the spammy distance reports that come every second, I have added an option to suppress logging the distance events, although they are still sent to the Zigbee network and received by the hub.

The next thing to test is whether this thing will really catch me if I take a nap in the office! :laughing:

7 Likes

Just looking around and found this thread. And I am looking for something like that! But saw your comments about the flooding. Isnt there a way of setting this up even with the tuya app?

I am not quite sure if I have understood the question, but if it is about configuring the multiple parameters of the Human Presence sensor from Tuya SmartLife mobile application and then use these settings in Hubitat - yes, it is possible,

However this will require a Tuya Zigbee hub, and not everyone has it, So the best solution is to be able to configure everything from HE.

1 Like

Well, your question is about the frequent distance reporting… No, there is no way to prevent this even with Tuya app. I sniffed the traffic with Tuya Zigbee gateway, it is the same.

This frequent reporting shouldn’t be a disaster for the Zigbee network if there are 1 or 2 such sensors, but I am not sure what will happen if there are 10 sensors activated at the same time. Note, that the distance is sent only when a life object is detected, the sensor is relatively quiet if not activated.

1 Like

Gotcha.

I am thinking here in situations like a fan or a window open that make the curtais to move a little. Today I make a game of counters and multiple PIR sensors toghether to not have the AC or the fan off during my sleep or just watching TV (since we be still for a period of time) so a solution like that (humand radar on the ceiling) would be awesome. But today I have around 60 zigbee devices at home and I started to put delays between commands (WebCore) so I dont have issues of commands not being received by the devices what was already happening and I think that maybe if they flood like that the network, it would be a nogo in my case here....

My Zigbee network (30+ devices) survived adding one Tuya radar which is sending distance reports every second...

The first real tests are successful, this device detects the presence pretty fast and keeps the occupancy active while standing still for a long time (watching TV in the bed :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

what's the range of these items? Can you put 2 within 10 feet of each other and tell them apart?

The sensor from the link above detects and keeps the presence from about 6 meters in my living room. The distance measured goes as far as 7 meters (I don't I have more space), theoretically, the maximum distance is 9.5 meters. I have placed another Tuya radar model in the same room that is 5 meters away and I haven't noticed any interferences between the two.

EDIT: as it turned out, the second Tuya sensor is not a mmWave radar, but a passive infrared sensor, so my previous observation was not correct.

1 Like

Found an interesting very critical article about this Tuya sensor, claiming it is not a millimeter wave radar at all!

The article is in Polish language, but Google Translate works very well! :

@jw970065 FYI

2 Likes