Quick Z-Wave fix

Ok. Find the problem device. What’s the lay of the land? What are the symptoms? How many are plus devices? How many are not plus devices? How many repeaters? How many of the repeaters are plus devices? Which ones support beaming?

Need some details to even begin to help.

1 Like

OK, shut it down and pulled the plug for 10min, its up and running and runing z-wave repair.
Z-wave devices
Fibaro Double Switch 2 FGS-223
Fibaro Double relay 2 FGS-222
Neo Coolcam Light Switch (double) x2
Neo Coolcam Light Switch (single)
Neo Coolcam Light Switch
Aeon micro dimmer x2
Zipato bulb 2 running Aeotec LED Bulb 6 Multi driver (not to good) dosent report on/off)
Danfoss Living Connect Radiator Thermostat
POPP Radiator Thermostat
Eurotronic Spirit TRV
Neo coolcam contact x3 (generic driver)
Qubino Mini Dimmer ZMNHHDx (generic dimmer driver)
Tkb68 socket x7 (some on generic outlet some generic smart switch)
MCO Home MH-S220 relay (generic relay)
TKB thermostat generic thermostat
3 switch modules i cant remember
Neo Coolcam Motion Sensor x4
and a fibro zw5 motion, which ive had notthing but issues with since moving from ST , can only get it to report motion, nothing else works, so pulled it

i dont get it was working fine till just befor 10 today

also pulled the plug on my ST hub as well now

Ok, I have only an idea of which of those are Z-Wave plus, and which are not. Not going to look up each one to figure that out myself.

Obviously, take the problem devices out of the mix first to see if that alone stabilizes things.

1 Like

i just dont know what cause the stick (i guess) to lock up, it was stable in ST, and had been fine for a few days on HE

edit ima hour into a z-wave repair and about 1/2 way through deceives, is that nomall?

I have no way of just knowing what the problem is. Knowing that it works on ST doesn’t help you troubleshoot the issue you are having now.

What we do know is that a misbehaving Z-Wave device can cause the Z-Wave network have all kinds of problems, but when you build a system slowly over time, the other devices on the mesh can take over routing for the problem devices, which in this new mesh, might be trying to route and blowing it. Another possible cause is they were working fine, but now that you have reset them (you did factory reset all them right?), it is now not working right. Have read this scenario over and over. Sometimes people have problems with devices that worked before, but only after several factory resets, do they start working correctly again.

No one starts home automation with a pile of Z-Wave devices and adds them all at once. They do it slowly, rebuilding the mesh with each additional device added. So if a bad device is added at some point, it’s more obvious if an issue occurs, and where it probably stems from.

But here, you have added devices all at once, or slowly over weeks? What about the SmartThings hub? Have you shut it down? It might be causing problems if it still has one of those devices in its network table.

yea i pulled the pull on it today, i did my uperfloors 1st left it a week then front room, then few days later the kitchen and garage (most of the devices).

Looks like the sick froze, im guessing ill never know why, just hope it doesnt happen again, might just do a repair every few days for a few days?

i was having a driver issue yesterday, below wasnt working (calling heat) so i just added commands i wanted to the mode section. im guessing it is a return issue???

def setThermostatMode(mode){
    def cmds = []
	if (mode == "on" || mode == "heat" || mode == "auto" || mode == "1") {
       heat()
    }

def heat() {
    def cmds = []
	cmds << zwave.thermostatModeV2.thermostatModeSet(mode: 1) //1
    cmds << zwave.thermostatModeV2.thermostatModeGet()
	log.trace "heat $cmds" 
    secureSequence (cmds)

}

edit... whats a normall z-wav repair time?

Depends on size of your network and the devices. My Z-Wave network is very small, but large networks can take 30~60 I’ve read from others accounts. But device check in times are going to vary that, if the device isn’t awake at the time. Which would make multiple repairs, (not too close together of course) useful.

stared repair at 05:23:40.123 pm still going

My 70+ device network has never taken more than 90 minutes or so, and is usually closer to 75.

The speed does depend greatly on how many mains powered versus battery powered devices you have.

1 Like

this look ok, ill ask before i push

That's a 5 minute delay. Is that what you want? More time shouldn't matter, except you're the one sitting around twiddling your thumbs. @SmartHomePrimer would recommend 10 seconds (0:00:10).

Memory says my rule uses 30 seconds for z-wave and 30 minutes for zigbee.

i did manually today for a minute and it didnt work anyway. had to shut down and pull the power for 10min to unlock the z-wave stick.

id only be using this when im away via a dask button so going on the side of caution, hopefully ill never need it again......

A lot of us will use Wi-Fi outlets, and shut down safely via the hub UI when we are away, then power cycle the Wi-Fi outlet remotely to start the hub back up again

1 Like

I use Peanuts paired to an Almond to reboot my HEs after they've been shut down. WiFi radios are off on the Almond, but it's hardwired to the router and on the same UPS as the HEs..

That's a great use for those peanut plugs! Makes me kinda wish I never gave them (and the hacked router) away.. ah well.

1 Like

I came up with a new approach to "controlling the power outlets".
I have (now) 2 Hubitat Hubs and 1 SmartThings hub. (All connected with HubConnect).
I have an AEON Power Strip with 4 switchable outlets, that has both Hubitat's on it. (But not the Power Strip).
The strip is controlled by SmartThings (the only thing that's on it.)

1 Like

That's a great idea. I sometimes (rarely though) need to reboot the Hue bridge or the Lutron bridge. On very rare occasions the Insteon hub, and on extremely rare occasions, the Ambient Weather Observer IP bridge when reporting to WU stops.

Thankfully most has been quite stable for a long time now.

Actually, I thought that it would be a good idea, if I wanted to recycle the zwave radio.
When recycling the zwave radio, you not only want to reboot the Hubitat, you want to shut it down for around 30 seconds. Without control of the plug, how are you going to be able to do that remotely? (In case I'm not around).
So, having it controlled by another Hub, means that you can do it all remotely, and by a program on a defined schedule.

Well there are WiFi power strips with cloud connections aren’t there?

Indeed.

1 Like