Question Regarding Dome Water Leak Sensor

If you still have these sensors, would you try something for me.

Next time a water sensor goes to wet, try the following:

Pick it up and verify the sensor is now dry.
Then place the sensor on some sort of metal (so all the contacts touch, and you should hear the device alarm.
Now remove the sensor from the metal sheet.
Check the HUB. Dry?

Matt

I do not have them anymore. I returned them and replaced them with Abode flood sensors.

Okay. Thank you for the update. I am trying to determine the root cause of the problem.
Matt

FYI, on Hubitat, only line-powered devices participate in repairing the z-wave network. So I would recommend keeping in z-wave+ outlet (or switch or something) very close to the Dome sensor.

1 Like

I find that solution kinda of pointless unless it's purposely needed. Like I mentioned months ago if the connection to two (sent first one back for replacement) of the dome sensors is cutting out 10 feet with direct line of sight to the hub then there is something wrong especially when the smaller fibaro sensors work perfectly through a concrete wall and under a sink with no wall powered z wave devices around it either. Was it possible I just got two different sensors from one bad batch? Idk but they didn't work at all.

I think the point I was making was lost in what I wrote - in Hubitat, battery powered zwave devices don't participate in zwave repair, so it isn't surprising for an issue with an errant sensor to remain after zwave repair.

2 Likes

I understand that but I removed and added the devices multiple times. Same problem everytime and even tried new batteries. No device should stop working 10 feet from the hub

Initial problem: These Dome water sensors frequently false trigger "wet" , and when they do false trigger, they don't return to dry on their own.

Once you have detected a falsely triggered device, you must "solidly" re-trigger the device before it will send a "dry" condition. Placing all the sensor pickups against a piece of conductive metal will re-trigger the device as if it had actually sensed water, and once removed from the plate, they immediately go back to dry.

I have been working on resolving the source of this problem for a few days.. and today was my lucky day. Another false trigger!

TTS: "A leak was detected under the water main".

Checked it, and it was completely dry. (as you can see in the attached photos)
Paper towels definitely help prevent the false triggers, much reduced. Paper towels do soak up a lot of water, so this is win/win and you know when it really is wet. These towels are NOT wet.

Below is a summary of all websocket data for this particular leak sensor today, which is kept in a SQL Server database.

The red box shows the initial false "wet" trigger.
Roughly 3 minutes later I check on the sensor which sits atop paper towels. (pics were take today of faulting sensor) and as you can see its not wet, and the device did not send a dry command. When the device is picked up touched, etc.. nothing. Then at 6:53:21pm I touch all the sensor pickups against a piece of metal, and it triggers "wet". Within a second of removing the sensor from the conductive plate it sends "dry" as you can see in the blue box below.

I have written several stored procedures in SQL to find my stuck sensor and summarize. This provides a great snapshot of all the sensors in a single view. I only had time to trigger half of the water sensors I have, but as you can seek when triggered by actual water, or atop a conductive plate the devices reliably go back to dry once removed.

I suspect these devices have a voltage drift in the input circuit that is causing them to false trigger.
Slow ramping voltages into digital CMOS without the use of Schmidt trigger buffers will cause what is referred to as "CMOS latchup" They devices exhibit this in my opinion. Water sensors are extremely sensitive, and can tricky to tune.

I DO NOT KNOW if this is the actual problem, but i am dissecting a few of my devices to see if I can determine the root cause, modify a few for long term testing, and I will post here when I do. This will likely void my warranty, but they do me no good turning off my water and running my neighbors to check on my sensors all the time.

USE [hubitat]
GO
/****** Object:  StoredProcedure [dbo].[usp_FindStuckMotionSensors]    Script Date: 09/17/2019 12:47:30 ******/
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO
-- =============================================
-- Author:		Matthew K
-- Create date: 9/11/2019
-- Description:	Find sensors Motion Sensors that are STUCK!
-- =============================================
ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[usp_FindStuckLeakSensors]

AS
BEGIN
	-- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from
	-- interfering with SELECT statements.
	SET NOCOUNT ON;

--local variable declarations
		DECLARE @Cursor_PKID INT
		DECLARE @TimeStuckOn INT 
		DECLARE @DeviceType INT

--init local vars
		SET @TimeStuckOn  = 4

SET @DeviceType =23

--init output table
		DELETE FROM tbl_StuckDevices

-- Insert statements for procedure here
		CREATE TABLE #TempTable

(	pkid INT IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
			SensorName nvarchar(1500),
			DeviceID INT,
			State int, --(Active = 1, Inactive = 0)
			DetectedWater datetime

PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ( pkid ASC )WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
		) ON [PRIMARY]	

--Capture all Records for this device
		INSERT INTO #TempTable
			(SensorName,DeviceID,State, DetectedWater)

SELECT  
			E.displayName,
			HD.Device_ID,
			case 
				WHEN E.value='wet' THEN 1
				WHEN E.value='dry' THEN 0
				ELSE -1
				END as State,
			E.created

FROM tbl_HubitatDevices HD

INNER JOIN [events] E ON E.deviceId = HD.Device_ID

WHERE 
			HD.DeviceType = @DeviceType AND
			(E.value = 'wet' OR E.value = 'dry') AND 
			 created > dateadd(day,-2,getdate()) 

-- Debug ONLY
				--SELECT * 
				--FROM #TempTable C
				--WHERE C.DeviceID = 3201
				--ORDER BY C.DetectedWater DESC
		-- Debug Only 

INSERT INTO dbo.tbl_StuckDevices(deviceID, deviceFunction, deviceName, deviceType, lastStateDetected, HoursSinceLastStateChange, LastState, LastChangedStateOn)

SELECT		H.Device_ID,h.DeviceFunction,h.DeviceName,h.DeviceType,

isnull((	SELECT TOP 1 T.State 
						FROM #TempTable T
						WHERE 
							T.DeviceID = h.device_ID 
						ORDER BY T.DetectedWater DESC
					),0)

AS LastStateDetected,

isnull((	SELECT TOP 1 DATEDIFF(hour,T.DetectedWater,getdate()) as HoursOnNoStateChange
						FROM #TempTable T
						WHERE 
							T.DeviceID = h.device_ID 
						ORDER BY T.DetectedWater DESC

),0)

AS HoursSinceLastStateChange,

(SELECT TOP 1 value 
					FROM events E 
					WHERE E.deviceId= h.Device_ID and (value = 'wet' or value = 'dry')
					ORDER By created DESC)	as LastState,

(select TOP 1 Created 
					FROM events E 
					WHERE E.deviceId= h.Device_ID and (value = 'wet' or value = 'dry')
					ORDER By created DESC)	as LastChangedStateOn

FROM dbo.tbl_HubitatDevices h
	WHERE 
		h.DeviceType = @DeviceType	AND --motion sensors
		h.Device_ID  > 0

ORDER BY H.DeviceName

--return stuck devices table
		SELECT * FROM dbo.tbl_StuckDevices

--Destroy temp tables
		DROP table #TempTable		

END

1 Like

I got one Dome Leak Sensor, so far seems to be pretty useless. It sits 6 " (yes inches) from the hub, Pressing the button sometimes causes it to report the battery but mostly does nothing. If I do not press the button nothing happens at all.
Max range is about 10 ft line of sight, if you have at least one sheetrock hollow wall in the way forget it. The good thing I ordered only one to try and hope the seller will accept the return.
The strange thing it has overhelmingly good reviews on amazonm now I start doubting about amazon's review usability ( or maybe I got a dud ? )

However I also ordered 10 of ZLINK Z-Wave Plus Water Leak and Freeze Detector Sensor with S2 and SmartStart - ZL-LD-100 × 10 which have not arrived yet and am dreading if those will work better. Zlinks can work on both power supply and batteries, but there is very little inormation about their realibility.

Received my zlink leak sensors a few days ago and I think can make a conclusion based on a few days testing:
These work on batteries and take non exotic 3 x AAA :+1:
Also work on external 5V via a micro USB jack. In this mode they work as repeaters :+1: :+1: :+1: react to water immediately and report temperature every minute.
When run on batteries they wake up every minute to check water compared to others that react immediately so some can consider it is as a minus.
In this mode they report the temperature every hour. Nice, but my concern is the battery life. Sure should last less than others that wake up once 12 hours. Time will tell. I am actually planning to put most of those on USB power. But they do report every hour unlike Dome sensors that only do it in documentation.

zlink

I don't know what the difference is but FYI I bought 3 Dome Leak Sensors about 2 weeks ago and they have been working fine. They are reporting in at least every 12 hours. When I tested the water sensing, they all went wet back to dry as expected multiple times. In a couple of cases, the sensors are in the basement and across the house from the hub on the first floor.

I start thinking that some of the sensors are set to some non default wake up value, mine finally reported the battery level in exactly one week.

Just in case it shows anything, here is some information from my device config/stats. You can see the checkins every ~12 hours:

How have these been working for you? I am considering purchasing several.

If you refer to mine it is working reliably so far but there is really no way of telling if it is still there. It does not report at all unless you put it in water . Device Watchdog does not wake it up either.
I bought 10 zlink water sensors and like them much. They work from both batteries and usb power supply. In the latter case they work as repeaters too and check with the hub every minute. Otherwise every hour.

Yes, sorry, I was asking you about the zlink sensor. Have you tested any of them? How long is the cable that senses water?

The website says the length of the sensor should be 4ft, and can be extended to 150ft.

Yes, the probe is about 4 ft. It is connected with an audio male 3.5m connector to the body of the detector and there is the same 3.5mm female connector on the other end of the probe cable. So in theory you can connect many probes in serial. Or you can extend the probe with a regular audio extension cable people normally use for headphones. I installed 4 leak sensors out of 10 so far one on battery three on the power adapter. so far so good.
One of the drawback in the battery configuration is that it check for water once a minute so you can have water running for up to one minute before it reacts. That is not the case when the detector is connected to the power supply, in which case it is instant.
Another one is that reports temperature every hour which may affect battery life. However I can only confirm this in a year or so.
I see in your snapshot above the temperature reporting interval is configurable in parameter 3. I have no idea how to do this and unfortunately the documentation on this sensor is much poorer than on Dome sensor.
I think it is a rebranded Homeseer sensor so configuration should be similar: https://homeseer.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/HS-FS100-Manual-4.pdf

Thanks for answering. Maybe the parameters can be changed with this tool:

Also, it appears Homeseer no longer sells the sensor with the water cable, just the sensor by itself.