Pushover Notifications Driver [Slightly Enhanced]

Hi Steve,
thank you for your help but sorry that I am still a little confused.

In the screenshot of my Global Variables above, what is the exact syntax I would use to get the Value for the GV Object-IPC Backyard 4K into my Pushover notification (in the current state [person])?

I have tried %Object-IPC Backyard 4K%
I have tried %variable-Object-IPC Backyard 4K%
I have tried %global-variable-Object-IPC Backyard 4K%
I have tried %variable-name%

As well as other variations.

I can get the triggered motion device (IPC Backyard 4K) to show in my notification by using %device% as well as the date and time triggered by using %date% %time%, but I cannot get the triggering Object into the notification. I am obviously missing something here that I can’t get my head around, lol. Sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks for any help.

I would remove the spaces and "-" from global variable names to see if that helps. Keep variable names simple text for best results.

1 Like

Ogiewon,
Thanks for your quick response. I will try this later after work.

That would be my suggestion, as well. HE uses %% for variable names. When you add spaces to an HTML link it adds %% instead of spaces. I'm assuming that this is just a Get link sent to Pushover. Adding any special characters in a link will always throw it off. That was my experience when I used to use Autonotification instead of Pushover. I assume this works similar to Autonotification, albeit a bit more user friendly, which is why I enjoy it quite a bit.

Any time I make a variable I never add special characters or spaces.

2 Likes

Hi Ogiewon and Guarddog,
Thank you both for all your help. Getting rid of the spaces did the trick! Global variable strings now show up properly in notifications! Appreciate the two of you taking the time to help out.

4 Likes

Sorry, this is probably a stupid question, but I can't find how to bring up this Pushover Device Configuration screen. Loaded the Device Code and looked in RM. I'm new to Hubitate so I'm a bit confused, any help is appreciated. thx.

Go into the Devices section of your hub, Click "Add Device" in the top right corner, then click "Virtual Device". Select the Pushover driver type, and give the new device a name, and then click Save Device. Now you'll have a new Pushover device in your list of devices. You can then configure this device's settings with your Pushover account info.

P.S. Welcome to Hubitat!

Also, there is a Pushover driver built into the hub already, so you don't have to use this community developed version - unless you want some of its enhanced features. :wink:

1 Like

I thought they moved the enhanced features to the built in version?

To the best of my knowledge, the first post is still accurate with respect to the built-in version's features.

Specifically

If this has changed, please let me know and I'll be happy to update the first post.

2 Likes

I must have misread all that time ago when I was installing Pushover, Danke!

2 Likes

Really dumb question, what does the [H] represent in the example? Is that for priority?

Yep

2 Likes

Yes, as @Inge_Jones mentioned above.

Here are the details

2 Likes

Great driver! Thank you!

I added some rows in the driver code to be able to change the supplementary URL and url title with prefixes.

if((matcher = message =~ /\§(.*?)\§/)){               
    message = message.minus("§${matcher[0][1]}§")      
    message = message.trim() //trim any whitespace
    customUrl = matcher[0][1]

}
if(customUrl){ url = customUrl}

if((matcher = message =~ /\¤(.*?)\¤/)){               
    message = message.minus("¤${matcher[0][1]}¤")      
    message = message.trim() //trim any whitespace
    customUrlTitle = matcher[0][1]   
}
if(customUrlTitle){ urlTitle = customUrlTitle}

Example:
http://example.com§ ¤Example¤"

I also found a way to trigger tasks in tasker via the supplementary url.

tasker://assistantactions?task=TaskNameHere&par1=optional par1 value&par2=optional value

1 Like

Thank you @tsaaek! I have updated my GitHub repo with your changes.

SOLVED: Found it! After (much) more reading on the Forum, I came across mention of Pushover being a virtual device on HE. So, I ventured into Devices, this time doing a Create New... ... and lo and behold, I find that "Pushover driver" is indeed listed there among the System drivers. Well hidden, yes, but it exists! Will fiddle now.

I originally asked:

Jump forward to late 2021, and I'm looking for any mention at all of Pushover (in Apps or Devices or Hubitat Package Manager or Settings) on my C-7, and coming up empty-handed.

Have things reverted to needing this Pushover Notifications Driver if you want to send message out to it from your HE? Or is current best practice to use RM to send out HTTP Requests using well-formed URLs against the Pushover API?

I mean, I can roll my own and don't mind doing so, but was secretly hoping that Pushover had (as promised in the OP) become a stock function. I just can't find it anywhere.

Thanks for guidance!

Just use the built-in Pushover driver, to create a virtual device. Populate its settings and verify you can send a push notification via its device details page. Once that’s working, use any App in Hubitat to send a notification. There is no need to develop any code whatsoever to achieve this. When you choose a ‘notification’ action in RM, Notifications, etc., you’ll be able to choose the virtual Pushover device you’ve created.

4 Likes

Could you explain where the HTML parameter is set? I've got Pushover working in WC, but don't understand this part.

[EDIT] Nvrmnd....I updated the driver and it works.

1 Like

I just established my Pushover account last night and have it basically working. I am overwhelmed with the plethora of information on this feature and have done a lot of reading, but much of it dates back to 2018, so I am having trouble sorting out what is really current info. Specifically, can you verify whether I need to update the Pushover driver from what is now included in the latest Hubitat firmware (2.3.0.124) in order to play a custom sound, for instance? I have everything configured, have uploaded the mp3, but yet this still results in a stock sound on my iPhone. This is a clip from what I built in Notifications. I get the iPhone notification but the mp3 does not play

:

Disregard. I updated the driver and it is working now. Sorry to bother.

2 Likes