Power goes off, lights come on?

It's extra expense but in my experience well worth it. Not only does it get bulbs onto their own network, which makes for efficiency, but the Hue lights themselves are visibly superior to many other cheaper brands

2 Likes

Definitely a personal option there :joy:. Personally having seen used multiple brand's of lamps smart and otherwise over the years in the industry I would say Philips is massively overacted and expensive.

For smart zigbee lamps have much better quality products and at a better price from inner and aurora.

Bottom of my list is Philips lamps I have, then osram. Top is inner. Few other good ones as well, but inner do some really good firmware aswell it seems as I can get a lot more extra out of them fully using the 3.0 features.

Philips hue is still ZIGBEE LL

I agree with you on Osram. Bottom of my list too!

Can you give more details on how the hue hub is integrated with Hubitat?

Sure, please take a look at the following Hubitat Documentation. It is really very simple to add your Hue bridge connected LIGHTS to Hubitat using the built-in Hue integration.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Hue_Bridge_Integration

If you would prefer a more advanced integration with the Philips Hue bridge, there are at least two Community developed integrations which I believe offer more features and may take advantage of some recent Hue Bridge API performance enhancements.

The first one is CoCoHue by @bertabcd1234

And the second one is the Advanced Hue Bridge Integration by @armand

1 Like

When I was actively using Hubitat, I had a rule that would store the state of all the bulbs every half hour.
When it detected a hub startup event, it would restore the lights to the last stored state.

thanks for that.

Has anyone tired using the Sengled hub? I was looking to update there bulbs seems you need there hub to do so and maybe there is a setting in there to stay off after power outage.

I have an old Sengled hub back from when I bought my first pair of RGBW Sengled bulbs. Yes, it can update the firmware of the bulbs (although I have never heard anyone mention of a specific reason/fix that warranted doing so). Itā€™s has been a few years, but as I recall, there is not option to configure the default power restore state of the build. Also, once a bulb is removed from the Sengled hub and joined/paired to the Hubitat hub, those settings would be wiped out and reset to factory defaults to allow Hubitat to send its own configuration settings.

The Sengled hub does not offer any means for Hubitat to be integrated with it, so itā€™s only real use is for bulb firmware updates, FWIW.

1 Like

Well it was worth a try, guess i am forced to buy HUE and a there HUB if i want lights to stay off.

I get power outages every week it seems.

1 Like

You can update Sengled bulbs on Hubitat...I and others have updated ours since Zigbee FW update was added.

You have to use the "legacy" version of the Sengled driver appropriate for your bulb, which has the FW update option.

2022-05-01 07_53_20-Chrome Main

The white bulbs do seem to respect the setting for power state after a power loss/recovery, but the color bulbs do not. My color bulbs were updated and don't handle returning from power loss properly. So for white bulbs it should work.

2 Likes

I switched to Hue for this very reason, for controlling all my lighting. I use Inovelli switched and dimmers, and Hue lights. I setup the Inovelli for instant on/off (set ramp up to 0s), then I configure the hue bulb to turn on when power is restored, and to set the color/temp/brightness to a specific setting.

I also have Inovelli set to use last known state when power is restored. So, I use the light switch to turn my lights on/off like a normal light, local control is disabled, and I use a button controller that says when button 1 pressed (tap up) to turn on the Inovelli switch, and when button 1 is held (tap down) to turn off the switch. If I lose the hub, I lose local control, but is enables me use the dimmer to control the light brightness.
Hubitat will report the switch is off and the light is on, but that is a hue quirk, and now that I updated the Hubitat code for my integration, I could use the reachability status to assume off stateā€¦ this may be a an update soon actually.

In this way, I have control over the bulbs behavior when turned on/off, and they donā€™t draw standby power while off, because the dimmer turned them off, but the dimmer still draws power, so maybe not as efficient as one might hope, unless you have multiple lights in the room (which I do) on a single switch. Either way, a hue system does allow official hue lights to have a default power on state, for when power is restored.

Just as an aside, Lifx bulbs pre stage as well and have better color accuracy and brightness than the hue..

True - LIFX makes some very nice smart bulbs! They do require WiFi which can be a problem for some home networks. And their parent company, Buddy, is in financial trouble - FWIW. Hopefully, LIFX will survive Buddy's restructuring.

LIFX Parent Company Issues: Is LIFX Still In Business?.

2 Likes

I certainly hope so.

Luckily, should LIFX go under, LIFX bulbs already provisioned will continue to work with Hubitat. And, with an iPhone, unused/re-used LIFX bulbs can be added to the WiFi network, and provisioned to be used locally with Hubitat.

1 Like

Just wanted to clarify - I assume you specifically mention the iPhone because there is not a similar option on Android devices?

(Or Palm?) :wink:

1 Like

Yes. LIFX bulbs are HomeKit compatible, and as such can be provisioned directly using the Apple Home app.

I wonder if Home Assistant can also do it using the HomeKit Controller component. :thinking:

Any thoughts, @ogiewon ?

1 Like

You can use android just fine. You need to leave the bulbs on for 15 mins and they will make their own access point. With the lifx software running, you simply connect to the bulb ap with your phone and use the software to join it to your local SSID. Once that is done you can get the integration. So this would work with or without internet connection or cloud servers. Local to the android phone...

2 Likes

I am not sure about that. It might work...

1 Like

Take a look at the Lutron Caseta lamp module. I just double checked mine and it works as you would like with floor and table lamps and dimmable bulbs. I believe it requires a Lutron Pro 2 hub to connect to Hubitat. It restores to its previous state if power is removed and turned back on. Amazon.com

2 Likes