Please help with Kwikset 888

Heads up, 3rd lock, looks exactly the same as 2 before, but ordered new from amazon paired in few seconds from 10' away and works fine (get codes, lock, unlock close up or 20ft away).
First 2 going back ...

Will check revisions in the morning.

As per @Rxich, what's your firmware level? I couldn't see mine, because it's already up. However, is this your exact model:

Oh gosh, sorry. I have too many devices, I was thinking of the new keypad I received in terms of location of firmware info, instead of my lock. I'll check when I get home later for the lock numbers. It's paired to ST, as that is pretty good at listing firmware,
It Says:
MSR:0090-0003-0541
fw:4.71

The raw description of the device appears to contain "ver:4.71"

Mine is 450248, and as far as the firmware
Here's what mine looks like,
Warning-graphical photo ahead

House came with an 888, originally paired to an IQ Panel2, no issues. When I switched Hubitat, it excluded and paired up without a problem. Seems to be working without connection issues.

On the Hubitat side of things though, it uses the Default Z-Wave Lock driver, but that doesn't account for the configuration parameters that are special for the lock itself, such as whether to auto-lock and auto-lock timeout, leds and sounds statuses.
Pages 4-8 in the manual: https://www.cd-jackson.com/zwave_device_uploads/864/Install-Guide-and-Manual-888-ENG.pdf
More info: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2176

As a new Hubitat user, is there a better driver for this specific device? How can I query and set the specific configuration parameters? What is the starting point for creating a new driver that knows about the specific settings? (is this something the Hubitat folks will build or should I write a driver on my own?)

Thanks!

get yourself the "basic z-wave tool" driver from one of the forums and you can set the parameters, then change driver back to the lock driver.

1 Like

This a reasonable work around. But I would like to actually create a driver that incorporates these parameters into the UI.

Is the Default Z-Wave Lock driver (or similar) available to copy and expand upon?

Ummmm, you'd have to check on the public hubitat driver github. MostHE drivers are "hidden" although I think this one is out there for modifying

1 Like

It isn't available in Hubitat's GitHub. There are two routes you could take (probably more).

First, I really like @Rxich's suggestion to use Basic Z-Wave tool to set the parameters you want, and then switch back to the Generic Z-wave lock driver.

Second, you could take the SmartThings Generic Z-Wave lock device type handler, port it to Hubitat, and then add what you want from Basic Z-Wave tool to it.

I would find the first route easier, but then, I'm no programmer.

I think I found it !

Delete

Wishes I would of read this before I purchased. Paired but can’t operate it. Can’t retrieve codes. I could of paid only $50.00 to get a dumb keypad lock.

Hmm.. I have a Kwikset 888 and it is paired with Hubitat. I can control is from Hubitat and also change/add/delete codes.

It looks like your lock is not paired "securely" and while it will show up, you will not be able to operate it from Hubitat. It took me a couple of tries to get it to pair properly but it works well. A couple of things that I had to do:

• Put in a Z-Wave repeater between the hub and the lock (it was about 30 ft away)

• Bring the hub really close to the lock to pair it (it was literally sitting on top of the lock). I got a long ethernet cord and used a USB charger to power the hub.

• Give it a little bit of time once the lock shows up in Hubitat. Don't hit "save" right away - I gave it about 2-3 minutes once the lock showed as "paired" in Hubitat.

Once it pairs securely, you should be able to operate it from Hubitat.

2 Likes

Correct, their lock is not paired correctly/fully.

I tried that but it still won’t pair securely.

It took me a while to get it to pair. Not sure what else to tell you - it finally did pair for me and it does work. There is also a thread that talks about switching out the Z-Wave controller in the lock for a Zigbee controller but not sure that is worth it.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/kiwkset-lock-zwave-to-zigbee-conversion/9137/20

1 Like

Third time is a charm. I waited over 10 minutes before saving and it paired securely.

4 Likes

:+1:t3: :+1:t3:

1 Like

Amazingly my Kwikset 910's with a zwave card has never given me a problem in 5 years I have used them.

3 Likes

I think that the reason that the hub has to be close to the lock, and the reason that it takes so long is the same reason. I think this is because there is a lot on data being passed (keys) between the hub and the lock, and it just takes a long time to do that.

1 Like