OTA firmware update of Hue Motion Sensor

So I have had issues recently with my hue motion sensors not always reporting that they are inactive, causing my rules to never turn off some lights.

I found out that Hubitat to some extent seem to support updating the firmware (2.2.7 Zigbee OTA updates).

So I figured I would give it a go, but I keep getting the wildcard problem.

[sys:1] (http://192.168.1.90/logs#sys1) 2021-10-13 14:46:01.165 Firmware update for [name:Hue Motion Sensor 2 (hallway), manufacturer:Philips, imageFileName:null, fileVersion:null] failed, the device doesn't support wildcard file parameters.

I think this was mentioned as a known bug in that same page above, but not sure.
Also the bit about image being null is suspicious.

Is this something I can do anything about or do I have to accept not updating firmware OTA?

Thank you in advance!

#EDIT: I am running version 2.2.9.130.

I have updated the firmware on several Hue Motion sensors. Can I suggest following these general guidelines while updating device firmware?

2 Likes

Can I suggest following

Oh, I missed that post in that thread, I will try it out and see how it goes thank you kindly!

1 Like

I thought you needed the Hue hub to to this.

No. The Hubitat zigbee firmware updater works fine for these sensors. Assuming the sensors are paired to Hubitat.

2 Likes

A device firmware update isn't going to fix this issue. It sounds to me like the sensor is a bit out of range now.

4 Likes

Well, I reliably get the "is active" event so I can act on them. I would presume that being out of range would just make sure I get the inactive-state more often than I would want to, but that might be wrong of me to think? :slight_smile:

So to be clear I always get the "is active", but very randomly I will not get the "is inactive" event/state. So it will detect motion, but not notify me of non-motion, does that make sense? :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah, it makes sense, but as i mentioned i don't recall anyone mentioning that a firmware update fixed this, and I've not seen one of these events without the other...
The limited info on the firmware update for this device mentions LUX reporting, nothing on motion inactive events...
You might try bring the sensor in range of the hub, like somewhere between 5 and 10 feet, pull the batteries and reinsert them and then see if you get both events...

Appreciate the input, yes I will try that. It's annoying that it does not happen consistently (though no issues getting the active events very fast), but I know too little about zigbee, perhaps events can be dropped and are not retried so if it is connectivity issue perhaps that could explain it. I will try this, and also make sure like another one wrote re-pair it so that the parent is for sure the hub.

Couldn’t this just be a bad repeater dropping events, or if it didn’t get configured correctly?

If you go to this particular Hue Motion sensor's Device details page on your hub, and then click the EVENTS link, what do you see? The reason I ask this is because the hub really would not react to two "Motion Active" events in a row. The second event will normally be ignored, as it does not represent a true change in state. Normally the hub must receive a "motion inactive" event first, before another 'motion active' event will cause any activity...

Please post a screenshot of this device's EVENTS page... :thinking:

2 Likes

yes

lack of configuration would affect both events

2 Likes

I still feel there is an issue with hue motion and firmware updates. I have reset and refound my hue motions many times. I’ve moved them to the hub, and they clearly show up as a child to the hub. Zero Zigbee traffic going anywhere else. In fact I’ve put the hue motions under a box on the work bench so that motion, and light can’t be triggered. They are 100% directly a child of the hub. Hit update firmware hundreds of times and get the “doesn’t support wildcards” yet every other Zigbee device will either say “firmware is up to date” “no firmware available” or it updates. Today I tried on .130 for about 2 hours and then checked and got .131 and gave it a go for 1/3 hour. No joy.
Anyone whom has gotten theirs to update, what is your FW version.

I've got 3 Hue motions on line. 2 have older firmware than one of them, which I updated in the past using the Hue hub. I just tried to do a firmware update on the device page and get this:
edit: I am on .130 as well, and this is the first time I've tried a firmware update of any kind.

I'm having an experience contrary to advice in this topic.

I have 4 outdoor motion sensors and 1 indoor. The indoor one is just inches from the HE and I've done the reset several times. Only once did it appear in the ChildAndRouteInfo list and then is was connected through a device 20' away. I tried well over a hundred times to do the update and got the dreaded "wildcard" failure quite quickly.

3 of the 4 outdoor sensors completed the upgrade and 1 did so on the first attempt. The 4th one is a child of HE though it is one of the farthest from it! I've had at least 50 failed attempts on that one. And the one that succeeded on the first attempt is physically the farthest from HE and not listed at all in the ChildAndRouteInfo!

This makes no sense to me. :man_shrugging:

Another example here. Installed two indoor Motion Sensors I bought from different sources, one came up as the older SML001 with firmware 100B-010D-420049E0.

This one, no matter what I try says:

"Firmware update for [name:Sensor de Movimento da Garagem, manufacturer:Philips, imageFileName:null, fileVersion:null] failed, the device doesn't support wildcard file parameters."

The other one is a SML003, firmware 100B-011B-02003506 and this one says:

"Firmware update for Sensor de Movimento do Corredor RC, Signify Netherlands B.V. 100B-011B-02003506 is not available."

So, first case appears to be somehow a bug and the second case is already up to date?

I’ve tried 100’s of times and get the “not support wildcard”. I have pressed upgrade 100s of times, deleted, paired, moved, new batteries and every other trick. There has to be a slash, space, period or something in the code or the filename wherever the file check or the firmware resides or the hub itself has some tiny thing out of place that someone isn’t noticing. Every other device either updates or says it’s up to date and not the “wildcard” error. Which would make sense as a “wildcard” character is being used somewhere. It would be nice to see a fix.

1 Like

Here we are 1 year later, same issue. I'm thinking it's a firmware issue, as I have 6 Hue motions, 4 updated okay, the others have this error:
sys:12022-12-29 12:12:39.771 PMwarnFirmware update for [name:Hue Motion, manufacturer:Philips, imageFileName:null, fileVersion:null] failed, the device doesn't support wildcard file parameters, or the request is malformed, try moving the device closer to the Hub.

The data section on the failed ones are lacking data:

The ones that are able to take an update have a more complete data section, even prior to updating firmware

I updated mine a long time ago and I recall that several threw the same error ,one of these, on the fringe of the mesh, did MANY (>50) times, but eventually they all updated fine. My advice is to just keep trying, maybe at different times of the day when there may be less mesh traffic. Good luck!

2 Likes