Orbit Sprinkler

Hi.
I've been reluctant to pair my orbit 12 zone irrigation system as I didn't want to create 12 different rules for watering. Anyone know if there is a user app that has some simple inputs for controlling a sprinkler system?
i know it should be relatively easy to set each zone for an "on" period, say similar to a switch being on but i was spoiled from the IRIS app that i originally used where you set the time for the 1st zone then just the minutes for each zone there after.
Hoping that someone may have solved that problem.
Cheers
Mac

I did a search for Obit here and found that @razorwing posted something about it this fall. Maybe you can get some input on that? Also, search in SmartThings as the apps are easy to port. So I hear. I can't help with that, but someone will help for sure.

Appreciate the reply April.
I had seen that thread. in all honesty - seems too complicated. These guys who really seem to know the ins and outs of HE look to have been puzzled by the irrigation timer.. I know this user group is well advanced so for the most part im sure many wouldn't hesitate to try this with the current rules but sadly not me!
However im sure someone on here has the skills to write an app that will cover the start - stop, delay in between. just putting it out there:)
Cheers
Mac

1 Like

So, you essentially want an app that lets you ...

1. Turn on a sprinkler(s) at a certain time, and turn it off after N minutes (or after a certain % saturation is reached, whichever comes sooner)
  2. Additionally, turn this sprinkler on N minutes later
  3. (if more) and this one ... etc...

that would be awesome.
And, to be fair...doesnt have to be for the orbit. I bought a Zen 16 that has 3 dry contacts.. i don't mind buying a couple extra of those and ganging together to get 9 zones. just want to make it simple. Cheers
Mac

1 Like

Was hoping the developers at Zooz would see that application as being handy to help promote the sale of the ZEN 16.

Lol if @agnes.zooz sends me a message and says "Hey howdy hey, let's saddle up and make a Zooz-branded sprinkler app" I'd be all for that!

2 Likes

Iโ€™ll pre order !

2 Likes

Hi Adam. thought i would follow up. I finally paired my orbit to HE. I'm presently using rules to manage the time for each zone of the 12 zone timer. It certainly works as an option but i wanted to see if there was any future thoughts to an irrigation app that might be more user friendly for scheduling?
Was soo happy to finally get off the manual settings however.......glad i connected it regardless of how i set up the control.

I do have another question and i could probably perform some tests but if anyone knows - would save sone time.

With the HE driver for the orbit 12 zone irrigation, there is an option for "duration" for x minutes.
When i set up the rule to water a specific zone, all i really have to do is set start time with an action to "open valve" . The open action opens the valve and i presume after XX minutes, HE will send a close valve action based on the value i set up in the duration for that zone in the device setting.
My question is.....if the close valve action command for some reason doesn't go through - is there any further validation that the valve closed?
Just don't want any specific zone watering for a full day till HE sends the next close command the next time the watering schedule comes around.

Pending on what the logic is - i might set up a dual rule.
ex.

• 5 AM open valve
  • the duration i have set is for 2 minutes...so by design the water stops at 5:02
  • For safety,...set up another rule with an action to close valve at 5:03
    Gives it 2 shots to make sure the valve close command goes through ( if no other logic built in)

Thanks
Mac

1 Like

I think itโ€™ll get launched in the next couple days :slight_smile:

1 Like

I promise to be a guinea pig and give feedback!
Is there any info i could provide up front?
Cheers
Mac

I can be a tester as well if need another one.

What is the model number for this Orbit of which you all speak? I came to the forums today specifically to look for a sprinkler that could be managed by HE and not have to go out to the internet for access to Google or "She who shall not be named"
thanks in advance.
Mark

I believe itโ€™s this one

Hello there.
Just wondering if you were able to get that sprinkler scheduled started :smile:
Regards.
Mac

Heck yes!

Find the app here.

It's designed for the Zen16, but works with Orbit (I have mine running on Orbit).

You will need to change the default auto-close time on your Orbit device itself if you want to water for longer than 10 minutes.

That's a good reminder that I should make an instructional video on setting up Simple Sprinklers.

@macdenewf Here is the schedule I use for the 12 station Orbit Sprinkler controller. It is very easy to modify. Pics are 2 parts because of length. I use the built-in driver.

In addition to Amazon.

NEW:

USED

Well Done Adam. Thank you.

Love the fact you have an emergency shut off , and programmable to a switch. Cant tell you how many times i've watched my sprinklers come on and by the time i got to my computer to shut it off - was too late. Great thought...and i'd be willing to bet at some point i'll figure how to tie that into IFTTT (to delay if rained in my area)

I'm setting it up as i type this and i just wanted to get a couple of clarifications please.

Duration. Assuming it's literally what it says. What ever duration i set will be the amount of time that valve will be open...correct?

The wait period. Assuming i'm not re-watering any zones - can the value be 0? meaning it shuts down 1 valve then immediately opens the next valve in sequence?

Longer periods for different zones.
I'm assuming that the way to get more minutes of water on any specific zone is to repeat for specific sprinklers. If thats correct..does it do that valve immediately again or come back to it .....and i really don't need to know,..just curious!

I was just going through my manual setup a few days ago and was thinking that i should not water the morning that i mow the lawn. I water in the Am and again in the PM...to set that up to exclude 1 morning was a right PITA. With this its simple.
One instance to water mornings..and omit tuesday...and another instance for the PM with all days......

I really appreciate you completing this and i'll start testing right away.
I did make a commitment to Agnes to use the Zen 16s but seeing as i have the Orbit installed i might have to use that..BUT i will buy another zen 16 and find some use for it!

Much appreciated.
Mac

razorwing.
Give the new Sprinkler app a try.
I had it set up for 2 different times throughout the day, excluding a morning when i mow..in less time than it took to go in and pause the 12 different rules i had set up!

Adam did a great job on the user interface.

Now.....just have to figure how to use a virtual switch to create a time delay for rain:)

Which App are you referring to? Never mind, I found it but can't use it. We have to water every 3rd day which cannot be done through this app. Unless Adam is willing to add it.