OpenWeatherMap-Alerts-Weather-Driver

Hi All,
Trying to get this working. I ran into subscription problem

on next page then drops to 100 calls a day

did they change from 1,000 to 100 or am I missing something ?

No, it's still free for the 1000 calls per day (Base Plan) and $0.15 for every 100 calls (or $0.0015 each) over the 1000.

Scroll down to the Professional collections and go for the Free plan.

This driver uses the One Call API, not the Professional collections API.

I went ahead and subcribed but in billing showed this

Does it look right ?

For those that were following the below directions make sure you only put the API key in under type. Took a bit of searching on this post but got it working. Thanks to everyone may have more questions

user4935

ThunderboltsRock

Apr 25

As best as I can remember:-

1. Goto: https://openweathermap.org/ and click API in the top menu bar.
  2. Choose One Call API 3.0 and sign up for the service. You will need to input a payment card such as a credit or debit card however you will not pay anything for 1000 API calls per day or under.
  3. Click your account name in the top menu bar then select My API Keys. You should have at least one API key. This will be required later on.
  4. Download and install the openweathermap alerts driver code from this URL: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/HubitatCommunity/OpenWeatherMap-Alerts-Weather-Driver/master/OpenWeatherMap-Alerts%20Weather%20Driver.groovy You just copy and paste the code in the Drivers Code section in the normal way, i.e click the New Driver button, paste the code into the space provided then click save. If you have package manager search for the driver and install using that method instead.
  5. Go to habitat devices and create a new virtual weather device. Click "Add Device" then "Virtual". Give it a name such as VirtualWeatherMapDevice then for type, open the list and select and click OpenWeatherMap-Alerts- Weather Driver. then click save device.
  6. Now you need to configure the device. In the very first preferences box titled "Type OpenWeatherMap.Org API Key Here * you need to paste the API key that you have in Members that you saw in step 3.
  7. The second box slider in the virtual device preferences page needs to be to the right so that 3.0 is on. Put in your Town or City in the third box. In box 4 & 5 I chose a setting of 1 hour. In box 7 it should be set to 1. In box 8 change the display unit to your preferred setting, C or F.
  8. Change box 12 to your preferred date format. In Box 17 Alternative Icon Location paste https://tinyurl.com/icnqz/ then click the Save Preferences button.
  9. If you scroll back to the top, under Current States you should see weather information including some graphics under the section where it says threedayfcstTile: If not something isnt working so double check what you have done and make sure your OpenWeatherMap status says says Active. Try a new API key just in case there is an issue with the original.
  10. When your virtual driver is showing weather data you can create a dashboard tile. The tile will need to be quite large to display the three day forecast. When creating your tile for Pick A Device choose Open Weather Map Virtual Device and for Pick A Template choose Attribute. Under Options in the Pick An Attribute list choose threedayfcstTile.

This what the tile looks like in my master dashboard:-

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

They could probably make it clearer than they do on that page.

But yes its still saying the same thing, you’ll pay $0.15 extra per 100 API calls only if you exceed the free limit of 1000 calls/day.

2 Likes

I thought you've included both APIs (2.5 and 3.0) It's still working for me absolutely perfectly.

I never entered a credit card when signing up. :man_shrugging:t4: If it makes a difference, I signed up with OWM on 14 Apr 2022.

Versions 2.5 and 3.0 of the One Call API.

Not the professional collections API.

1 Like

Is there a reason that the OW Icons are not centered such as this?

No. That is the weather icon set that is the default. You can replace any/all icons with your own. Just update the setting that tells the driver where to look for the icons.

Thank you! I've been trying to figure this out and it totally got it for me.

I've used OWM Weather for - years? and love it. I customized the crap out of it long ago - then @garyjmilne came along and built a huge tool worth all my pennies - Tile Builder. then. recently he added Grid as well and now you can effectively take over your tile!
See:

1 Like

Good afternoon from Ireland. I live in Northern Ireland in the UK, and I am really struggling to get this working. I've obtained the API key from OWM and filled out relevant sections, but I cannot seem to retreive any data.
I've followed the instructions from ThunderboltsRock's post.

Any help would be appreciated.

Happy new year all (Athbhliain faoi mhaise daoibh in Irish).

Are you seeing any errors in the logs after saving the device preferences with your API key entered?

1 Like

As @marktheknife said .... Enable Extended Logging, then look at the logs for clues as to what is happening.

2 Likes

Hi Matthew. Thank you for your help. The same 401 Unathorized error is repeated. I’ve tried generating a new API key and that had no effect.

Did you add a card and make it the free subcription plan? If you did not, it will not work and give that same error message.

See OpenWeatherMap-Alerts-Weather-Driver - #721 by syepes

and the follow on here: OpenWeatherMap-Alerts-Weather-Driver - #722 by Matthew

1 Like

Thank you Tray_e and all. I'm not keen on given them a card detail for now. I'll try WSM4 for now and see if I can get that to work. Hopefully it will be accurate for the UK. The support and reponsiveness of people since I started using hubitat is amazing. Thank you all!

The current version of the OWM API won’t work without your credit card info.

If it helps, quite a few people in this thread have done the same thing, and no one’s been charged since it’s easy to stay below their daily limit for free API calls. It’s also possible to set a cap on the total number of daily calls to further protect yourself from an unexpected charge.

1 Like