[RELEASE] Tile Builder - Build Beautiful Dashboards (Grid 2.0 Released)

I’m out of town at the moment but at a minimum you would need Tile Builder Parent App, Tile Builder Storage Device and finally MultiAttribute Monitor selected.

I attempted to edit a Tile - Attribute Monitor and add a couple of new devices using their batteries. Got an error that I didn't screen grab (bad me) and now when I try to get back into the rule I get this error.

And this is in the logs (tried it a couple of times.)

Is this rule permanently hosed? I can always revert to before, but wonder if it will happen again?

Never mind. After thinking about it for a bit, and waiting a bit longer, I tried it again, and it worked. I realized that a null value probably means that the device has not reported its temperature yet. Sure enough, once both devices reported values it worked.

Thanks for pointing out the error. I will update to handle a null gracefully.

1 Like

I'm closing in on releasing the next Tile Builder module which I call Grid. Just working out a few minor issues and then I have some documentation to do, but it will be released between Christmas and New Year. Sorry for the delay but I had to add a big chunk of code for a second mode of operation which I will explain in a future post. Grid will only be available to those with Tile Builder Advanced.

It supports tables up to 5 columns wide, but as each cell can contain multiple pieces of data it is not a one-one relationship between cells and data.

I thought this was an interesting effect, putting data into a tooltip that shows on mouse-over.

Of course a Tooltip is a less size efficient way of presenting data, but it is more space efficient and kinda cool if you are not worrying too much about the resulting tile size, which I think is O.K. for tables you only access locally.

4 Likes

Another snippet of interest as I'm going through my testing.

Notice the Wind Direction. It is just a large Unicode arrow whose direction tracks the Wind_Degree value from Open Weather.

53 degrees in Minneapolis on Christmas Eve. That is crazy!!

Merry Christmas everyone.

6 Likes

Tile Builder Grid Module is now available for those with Tile Builder Advanced.
You can find an introductory help file for TB Grid here. It's pretty easy once you understand the basic concept and re-arranging things is simple because attributes are not tied to cells as they are in Multi-Attribute Monitor.

How to Install Grid:

1. Upgrade your Tile Builder to the current version.
  2. Install Grid by going to HPM and picking "Modify a Package", selecting "Tile Builder" and then making sure that Grid is a selected module as shown below.

You have seen what Grid can do in some of the earlier posts over the past few weeks so I won't repeat those here, But I do want to emphasize that Grid is not just about adding more columns, it's a whole different way of creating a layout and placement of data is very flexible.
Effectively I have four columns of data placed within a two column table to make the table as small as possible.

Have fun with it.

P.S. There is one thing in this update for all users which is the ability to show\hide unused modules on a per instance basis. You can find this in the Parent App under More.

6 Likes

Grid is wonderful! Thank you very much.

I have noticed shadow text is not available when customizing the table. Can it be added to at least when customizing the Title?

I'm glad you like it. I look forward to seeing some of the tables people produce with Grid.

I took it out of the UI because it's a relatively obscure feature that used 5 controls and only applied to the Title. It is still available in the overrides section as shown below.

This way people can apply multiple shadows and direct it at any part of the table without having to duplicate the controls on each tab. For your purposes you would use #Title#=text-shadow...... for example.

See here for parameters and examples:

I redid my Hub Info tile using Grid and thought I would share.

I'm using free Font-Awesome icons as a web font for the icons. Takes up more space than plain text titles or eMojis' but I like the look of it. I'll write up a few examples and add them to the Grid Documentation. You could do it in any Tile Builder module but the large text input fields in Grid make it a lot easier.

Comes in at 1,362 bytes which includes a couple of tooltips but it's a tile I'll only look at when I'm on the LAN.

5 Likes

Something else that may be of interest using Grid. Not sure how I would use it but it's fun to experiment. Just point one of the variables to the table of interest in the Tile Builder Storage Device to embed it within another table.

3 Likes

Can you post a pic of your tile setup? Variables used, etc?

1 Like

I also would like some help.
Perhaps a simple example would help with the Grid layout.

I have a number of contact sensors.
For each contact sensor, I want to report: battery%, state (open/close), and temperature.

Ok. I got it. However, for some reason, it only puts out the very last sensor of the sensors I put in the device list:

Also, in the device list, should that be %deviceName% not %deviceLabel%?

Could you share a bit more of your configuration, especially the Layout Mode and Device Group sections.

Definitely the Device Label but if you want to use the device name instead you can use %deviceName% in a text field when using a Device Group.

Device Group:

Layout Mode:

I suspect the function that shortens the device names doesn't like the () because those characters have a special meaning. Try setting it to not truncate the device name and see what happens.

I have updated the Tile Builder Grid Help to include the use of Font Awesome icons. You can find it here.

No truncation - made no difference.

Yes, the name does not appear to be the issue as it works for me. Have a look in the logs and see if you are seeing any errors.

Also, try two other things.

1. Remove the empty variable by reducing the Variable count to 3.
  2. Try changing the Rules for "contact" to None, just as a troubleshooting step. If that does make a difference send me a picture of your Keyword rule.

#1 and #2 made no difference:

No keyword rules.

Nothing in the logs.