On the fence, please push me over

Yeah, y'all are right. :zipper_mouth_face: The learning curve is about the same. It's hard to tell as someone who started with ST.

1 Like

I think that is a fair point. Any fully featured HA hub at this point will generally require some ongoing tinkering. And without any prior experience, the initial learning curve may be steep.

Others have made great points about deciding what features you need then choosing accordingly.

If the need for complicated automations isn’t near the top of the list, an amazon echo plus is a reasonable option for a first foray into home automation. Alexa ecosystem, device control including zigbee devices, limited automation capabilities, pretty easy to use.

1 Like

You guys bring up really good points and I appreciate all sides of the story. I would hate to invest in something I have no idea how to operate with little chance of success. I am a novice in this space and cannot code at the CLI level but I think I may have the base skill of networking. I know there will be challenges and I will probably use some ugly language when stuff doesn't work but I welcome the opportunity and look forward to working with the community.

3 Likes

We're here to help! The mere fact that you're willing to jump in means you'll get what you want out of it.

Another good link:

If you're good with using a web browser instead of a fancy app you'll be fine.
There are definitely no training wheels in this bike tough.
We're all here... A little too much tough...

This the only website I visit anymore. :joy:

4 Likes

I think you have all the attributes to make this a win for you. There is a steep learning curve (just like in ST) but the willingness to attack it head-on as a hobby is great. Welcome to the HE family.

4 Likes

That was me :joy:

2 Likes

I did my best to search for your post but try as I did, I just couldn't find it. I have to say, +5pts for the Muttley reference. :laughing:

1 Like

Haha :wink: it’s very apt for the issues we all used to face :+1:

Found it lol.

1 Like

So, using your advice, I have really gone back to do a lot of reading on HA and smart homes, identifying what my actual needs are, and prioritized them. At the end of the day, I still think Hubitat is the right option for me.

I do have one question. I saw a post earlier but cannot seem to locate it anymore. I really need notifications to be sent to my mobile (android) device. when an event triggers (e.g. contact is broken). I read that there is an SMS limit of 10 per day. What other options do I have? How difficult is it to manage?

Effers,

Search for Pushover Notification, it's built into HE. :slight_smile:

Rick

There is also an option to use IFTTT for notifications.

1 Like

Thought this was amusing. Perhaps Pushover is the thing that pushes you over :slight_smile:

pushover

3 Likes

Yeah it's funny watching conversations jump around here.

There is a one-time charge for the PushOver Push client, then you have unlimited Push Messages after that. It seems to work well.

That one-time charge could push him over the edge, good or bad... LOL

Rick

I see what you did there :wink: