Hello Hubitat Community... First, I want to say how cool this product is. Not that I have any experience but just reading the posts and watching the videos, pretty neat.
And yes, I am asking "that" question again. I have read through several posts of "why Hubitat", "Hubitat first impressions" and so on. Everything I have read and videos watched, I think this is the product for me. I am just a little hesitant. The reason why I don't know smart devices and automations. My requirements are very small right now. I only have a couple of devices. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing...
What I am today:
- I have no investment in any one ecosystem. I own a couple of Echo dots. No Smarthings hub or anything else. I am about as clean as they come
- I own a few TP-Link plugs and two Smarthings water sensors (don't know why I bought them with no hub) and some Arlo cameras I have yet to open
- Limited knowledge in this area. The most I have done through Alexa is create a group for Christmas lights on the TP-Link plugs and are now voice controlled (wife was impressed)
What I want to do is:
- Create system with local storage with the ability to use OpenVPN to access remotely
- Use a system with an easy user interface, preferably doing it on my PC or Chromebook
- Incorporate cameras (Arlo or other brand)
- Need to support smart Smoke/CO alarms like Nest
- Have a dashboard similar to ActionTiles(plan to have a readily accessible tablet)
- I need to incorporate motion sensors for lights (routines I think)
And most importantly, it is must be stable. I don't need to hear my wife telling me I made another great investment when the lights don't come on.
Is Hubitat right for me? Do I need to start on Smarthings then move to Hubitat? Or should I remain a rookie and still with Alexa?
Thanks in advance for the help.