Off-topic rant about security

12 Likes

+1

My house conveniently came with aluminum siding....much the same effect as that paint and I didn't have to do any work...but boy..what a PITA it is to get signal through it! I have to run an external AP on my deck just to get WiFi outside and in the backyard. Internally it doesn't seem to cause too many issues.

2 Likes

Well at least in the event of a EMP you will be fine. lol

4 Likes

When they built my house they went a little overboard with radiant barrier. They put that ■■■■ on everything. I had to get creative with getting signals around the house.

1 Like

Maybe I should look into that stuff.

Right now, I think I get WiFi signals from 25 of my neighbors better than I can get my OWN from right in the other room (and my house is not particularly big!!).

Maybe that would keep their stuff out--and help me with my own signals!!

1 Like

Might make it worse too. The signals from your neighbors should be much lower power than the signals from your own hotspots. However if you turn your house into a big Faraday cage, a lot of the energy that would normally go to bother your neighbors, might just cause you problems through reflecting right back into your radios front end!

No free lunch with RF! Lol

S

4 Likes

Calling someone out for not reposting things that were taken down every time they post them isn't providing a valid perspectiive. And again, why would I take the abuse? So that you can be rude and insulting again while I get banned?

^ This tactic is exactly the kind of games you play. I do security for a living, it's not a joke for me.

I have different defenses for broken windows. I'm also not terribly concerned about broken windows. That kind of theft is at a historic low, and doesn't present much of a risk for us.

You keep talking aboout this as if it's important, and it just proves you can't read.

That no more the perspective of real security professionals that spaghetti is Italian or anything else people take for granted. That's a single-dimension perspective. Security is a multi-layered thing. That phrase is only relevant to someone who locks all the doors then closes their eyes and hopes. Professionals actively observe, mitigate, ... etc

Sun Tzu's sayings about wars being won by the side that never fielded an army is a lot more relevant than that phrase.

Please don't attempt to quote security wisdom to a professional.

I’m sorry, but this is simply not true. There hasn’t been a single occasion when you’ve actually posted links that verify your claims. The claim that your posts containing said links were actively deleted by the folks that moderate this community is kind of malicious. Why would they do that? What’s in it for them? And how could they have done that without any of us noticing a single one of these illuminating posts?

The collective memory of those requesting you validate your claims isn’t that bad. Ockham’s razor suggests that the simpler hypothesis is that you’ve failed to ever post such links.

9 Likes

@staze clearly wasn't doing that.

5 Likes

And please don’t assume we are not all professionals in any given field... or don’t work closely with security professionals on an extremely regular basis.

Sorry, your posts seem more on the gaslighting side of the spectrum now.

So I’m going to disengage.

5 Likes

Sorry Jo, I didn't realize you did security for a living.

2 Likes

I'm a security professional for critical infrastructure and digital assets. Been doing this type of work for about 30 years. Started out doing it in the military and later for oil majors. Layered security in general is a good approach. We fend off about 12,000 attacks a day including a constant barrage from two distinct apt's. Even with huge companies we realize there is a threat tier and tailor solutions to meet the threat. What is happening currently, what has happened in the past, what is expected in the near future, and what is possible.

If you feel that a network penetration is an imminent threat then by all means address it. Given the current vulnerabilities with zwave, SO isn't going to provide any meaningful protection and does create a noticable amount of traffic. You're much better just isolating the hub from your main network and call it a day.

The required knowledge and physical proximity needed to execute any of the current vulnerabilities in my opinion don't warrant much time. Time better spent showing them how to safely operate a firearm and what scammer calls look like and how to avoid falling prey to them.

I think the reason you've had issues on this forum about this subject is because a lot of us see the possible vulnerabilities and attack vectors and realize just how unlikely they are. I'd probably get hit by lightning twice before someone hacked my zwave network.

Here's my public ip 75.26.205.78. I'll PayPal ya 1000 bucks if you can turn on my sprinklers via hacking my zwave.

17 Likes

Will you pay me double if I use your autolock app to turn them on?

5 Likes

Lol

4 Likes

It’s easy to do if your Death Plug is still on the Z-Wave mesh.

6 Likes

Your sprinklers are now running. I can see them through your IP cams.

:rofl:

7 Likes

I'm with Lewis on this one. Security and convenience do NOT go hand in hand. We are talking about home automation here...not home security. That cute zwave/zigbee/bluetooth deadbolt on your door isn't security, it's convenience.

3 Likes

I don't think you'll find any disagreement over that point.

The claim, by @endorphin_junkie, being questioned was whether the use of z-wave devices (in particular) provided an easily hackable method of intrusion. And that such intrusions were commonplace and already the subject of police investigations.

4 Likes