Off-topic rant about security

06 is a GE light switch. I removed it from the old Hubitat and attempted to add it here. After a re-boot of my C7 and leaving it alone, both the 01 and 06 disappeared.
Tried to add the light switch back again and this is what I get. Just sits like this.
I have a lot of devices to add, I'll be here for a year at this rate.
It's ok that my old hub is still on, correct?

Z-Wave

It's a Schlage Door/Window sensor. I removed it from old Hubitat and to add it to new just have to pop the battery out for 10 seconds and replace it. Worked fine in my original C4 I'm guessing, if that was the 1st one out.

I hear you @xap DITTO!!!!

If you go into the z-wave details page is there anything in there?

01 is the HE radio. That should be there.

1 Like

@bobbles
Ok, thanks for the input on 01, appreciate the help.
I managed after some time to get two wall switches added to the C7 system.
I need a nap. Only 40 more items to add,...

1 Like

Thanks guys I am trying this out tonight.

I have excluded th device and included again yesterday but it didn't help much.

I saw the security check box, passed it but then it asked me for device ID or something like that I don't know so I just cancel and discover again.. That's how I eventually added the device.

Best to clear the checkmarks and click OK on that dialog, AFAIK. Not sure what cancelling will do, but that's never been encouraged as an option.

If you clear the check marks you will not have to provide any ID.

The real word has a way of taking your best testing efforts and making them look inadequate.

6 Likes

Not only that, but consider the infinite variety of RF environments, mesh network layouts, device combinations, and you quickly come up with something that is not actually testable in any rigorous way. One house will work perfectly, while another with similar devices, will have trouble. One device in one house works perfectly, and won't join in another.

How does one sufficiently test this? Over a significant period of time with a large number of users is the only honest answer. I can guarantee you that Silicon Labs doesn't do this kind of testing, they can't. Device manufacturers can't do this kind of testing either. So it falls on Hubitat and its users to discover that some things don't work that should. We will continue to improve this Z-Wave implementation, one user at a time, one device at a time and one problem at a time. One problem fixed, then another, and before long it will be a very solid system. Consider what we've experienced in the past few weeks: getting this hub through the extremely rigorous Z-Wave Certification testing, having used this hub in alpha testing for months, in beta testing for weeks -- all before release, and whoa, there are still issues that come up. So, we knock them down.

There's another hot fix release coming soon with yet another break-through fix in it. To beta first...

19 Likes

:+1:

3 Likes

I would say you are getting much closer - difficult inclusion and weird routing issues aside once things are connected + maybe a node repair here and there the system seems to just stabilize which is very encouraging. Also whatever cleanups you are doing on shutdown/startup are definitely helping.

I really like the individual node repair and routing info on the Z-Wave details page - have been able to identify and fix some very slow and odd throughput (9.6kbps) issues on specific nodes.

I wouldn't worry about reported speeds - battery devices in-particular run as slow as they can, I have a contact sensor that reports 100 kbps and yet works perfectly.

That's the fastest zwave speed. But I agree if it works, it really usually isn't that important.

I manually repair 9.6k devices sometimes and they come back as 40kb - which is good. I look at them a few days later, they are back on thr 9.6k route. Maybe for good reason (but unlikely based on the # of devices and relative locations).

1 Like

I agree however these are hardwired ZW+ switches that are less than 20 feet / 6 meters from the hub and "should" be registering at least 40kbps if not 100kbps. After doing the node repairs the route info shows all nearby switches at the full speed (100kbps). This is a brand new setup with no battery devices (yet) or legacy devices - all new Zooz and GE Enbrightens so far.

Fair enough, battery devices are a slightly different case.

1 Like

I should mention that the switch (an enbrighten) furthest away from the hub (on the 3rd floor) is registering at 9.6kbps - but I expected that. A repeater (or two) or more paired switches on the second floor will likely alleviate that issue or worst case I will put another hub on the 2nd floor. Main hub is on the first floor in a fairly central location maybe a bit closer to the back of the house.

1 Like

Thanks to the team for ironing out all the 700 series chipset's rollout bumps. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

+1, despite the teething issues I'm impressed with HE and the way Hubitat staff engage with their community. As any Vera Plus owner who lived through the great 7.30FW Xmas Light Charlie Foxtrot will tell you (Vera staff vanished for ~4 weeks leaving some very pi$$ed off users!), the Hubitat staff engagement when there are issues is amazing!

8 Likes

So made some forward progress tonight, bcopeland made a comment in a PM about S2 and it dawned on me that my major issues started when I added the 3 Aeotec Range Extender 7's when I included them in the system I heeded the warning in the pop up message and left them at default which meant they enrolled with S2 on. I excluded all 3 of them tonight and the system went from slow and non-function to starting to work again. Not everything is working perfect but the system will need to stabilize without the repeaters in place. So heed the warning and un-check all the boxes on this item.

4 Likes

I worked for decades in consumer electronics w/wi-fi connected devices, and it is just as bad or worse over there...different ISPs, different roiuters, wi-fi extenders and other voodoo devices, different phones, different homes, different customized settings on routers (at least we generally can't F-up our mesh devices as they have few settings, but let a customer w/ average knowledge into a router config page and the havoc they can wreak is beyond compare).

We completed rigorous testing in labs w/as many configurations as we could handle, completed in-home customer visits to test, conducted remote betas across the country and around the world. You name it, we tried to cover it. Yet nothing we released ever worked all the time for everyone, and every customer who was one of the unlucky ones w/connection problems assumed we were "stoopid heads," had no idea what we were doing, and had it in for them personally.

So sometimes you kind of have to pity the folks who founded and work for Hubitat, the game is fixed, and they ain't never gonna beat the (smart) house.

5 Likes