Off-topic rant about security

Until they fix the zwave stability issues. :slight_smile: Until that is done I doubt there is much/any time for new stuff.

Eventually, though, I'm sure the new stuff will come!

2 Likes

No list, but Staff have responded to queries with that knowledge.

@JasonJoel
Agree, but given the rarity of any 'futures' I was able to memorize that one :smiley: Helps that it was just a day or so ago :smiley:

EDIT:
Sheesh.. time flies... 4 days ago: 'disguised' as repair...

2 Likes

For what it is worth, i just added a sooz motion sensor. This thing could just not be added prior to the update. It was straightforward to add to hubitat. I'm quite happy how easy it was to add this, especially since it was impossible to join this S2 device prior to the update.

I feel confident enough that i think i'm ready to go and get some zwave doorlocks next. I have mostly zwave and i know that zigbee is preferred by many here, but i have mostly zwave in my house.

But not by some. It's not a protocol issue for me.. it's a visual thing... I hate the wall wart repeaters that are necessary because my family will unplug them THEN 'cry' that the fans don't work. :smiley:

I'm quite OK with Zigbee sensors since sensors are often battery and thus need to be easily accessible. But I do love my Aeon Recessed Door Sensors... anyone found a Zigbee version? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I take this back. The zooz device includes without problem but it is not giving me any motion events. I tried both the zooz specific motion driver as well as the generic zwave driver. I'm getting tired of this device, compared to the iris motion sensor this thing is pretty flaky. I tried removing batteries and re-inserting them, exclude and re-include. No luck.

update: I decided to reboot the hub this morning, i did one final exclusion and inclusion. It seems to work fine now. Ive seen motion being alerted several times. Maybe the hub reboot was the answer? either way, i got it to work for the time being. happy with that :slight_smile:

I have the latest v2.2.3.119 and did the Z-Wave firmware update, but I am still having inclusion problems.
I have 6 TKB TZ88E which work fine on SmartThings, but I am having immense problems including them (even after a factory reset on the switches).
It turns out that I actually have a mix of Z-Wave and Z-Wave Plus devices, even though they are all TZ88E, just brought at different times. It appears that the older Z-Wave devices are failing to include, or if they manage it at least failing to respond to any messages.
So does the C7 only like Z-Wave Plus devices?

I have the same mixture of Zwave and Zwave Plus devices that I have purchased over time, and they are both included on HE. I've definitely seen inclusion issues w/both Zwave and Zwave+ devices on HE, so you're not alone.

One thing I've noticed on HE is even after you've excluded your device from SmartThings, it helps to also try to do an exclude on HE as well, even if you don't think the device got added to HE.

I had a Zwave switch that I was trying to add to HE yesterday. I had excluded it from ST but it wasn't joining HE properly. So I put HE in exclusion mode, did the specified steps on the switch for it to exclude, and got a message about excluding an unknown device. Then it included on HE the next try.

One thing that I have noticed when doing Zwave inclusion on the c7:
Sometimes, when including a device, I get an "echo" in the inclusion screen. That is, it shows two devices "initializing", and then completes initializing only one of them. (Which I promptly name and save).
I noticed that if I reboot immediately after such a situation, I don't have any further issues with the "echo". If I don't reboot immediately, the "echo" affects my next inclusion.

P.S. I also wanted to mention that the range/speed of the new C7 is considerably greater than the C5. I just paired a Zwave (not plus) lock with my C7 which must be at least 60 feet away, through many appliances, and rooms. Even though I have a Aeotec Repeater not too far away, I was impressed that I didn't have to bring the hub close to the lock. Bravo Hubitat!

1 Like

I've seen this too - in fact I think I've seen up to 4 such "echoes" at the same time! perhaps that suggests I should reboot more often when doing inclusions...

Close to giving up on Hubitat and going back to SmartThings!
Local execution is only any good if the hub keeps talking to the Z-Wave devices... which it doesn't. Mine stopped all Z-Wave traffic requiring the hub to have power removed. So far it lasts perhaps 8 hours between power cycles...
Shocking that they can ship z-wave firmware that just stops working completely!

Yes, there are known issues right now with the C-7.

They will get resolved over time, like issues with any new product.

Until then, obviously the choices are to live with it as is or use something else in the meantime.

Frustrating, I know, but that is the state of play right now.

That's definitely not typical behaviour for the HE hub. You've reported it to support?

I was having problems with adding Z-Wave devices to my C-7 (which worked perfectly on my C-4 until it died) but was able to eventually get most (not all added). But about a day after upgrading to the latest patch, I lost all connectivity with my Z-Wave switches. My Z-Wave motion sensors still seem to be reporting but without switches, the hub is effectively a brick. I've tried going back to an older version of my backup and Hubitat OS version with no improvement. At this point I have pulled my old Smartthings hub out of the trash (litterly) that I haven't used in 2 yrs and have started to restore my switches to it.

I have reported to Support and they said it was referred to Eng and that they would not provide any further updates so who knows when it will be fixed.

As someone else said, slow control via the cloud is much better than local control when it doesn't work for weeks.

Wow. This sounds a bit harsh.
Have you pushed them on your issue?

They are (very) aware of the the Busy issue, and are working on a fix. Hopefully it will be available very soon...

Exact verbiage from the last request for an update: "Thank you for your update. Your issue has been referred to our engineering team. Further replies to this ticket will not receive a response."

So yes, I am frustrated. I read it as "piss off" which is especially frustrating when I was forced to upgrade because the C-4 hub died. I have to say, adding the devices back to Smartthings was a breeze.

I agree that this phrasing is rather unfortunate.

2 Likes

Which I fully understand.
I'm not sure I would have been as patient as you.
Hope you get it sorted.
The previous poster mentioned the 'z-wave busy' issue.
Did you see this or was it just not communicating so you could not check the logs.

Don’t feel singled out. It’s a canned response to all support requests, I’ve seen it many times. Because this issue has been noticed by many, I suspect that there is an intense ongoing effort to find the cause, craft a solution, and test. If it was simple, it would have been fixed by now.

1 Like

I am not getting anything in the Z-Wave logs which doesn't make sense as I know some Z-Wave traffic is making it's way through (like motion) though at times it can be slow (perception). BTW, Support did not even ask for logs or any details - understood they might be working on a larger issues that could be related but no investigation was done to confirm it was related to not.

My apologies for jumping on this thread if my situation is different.

1 Like