C-7 Z-Wave Repair with 2.2.3

Correct.. Unless they are enhanced 232 slaves they only have a small subset of the routes.. Only the ones that are important to them.. They do keep calculated routes to the hub which (don’t get me to lie to you) is not a full route..

1 Like

Neat. Thanks for explaining! I'll never be an expert, but I am an interested amateur. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a similar experience as @rob9 after updating C-7 to 2.2.3 + radio f/w. I have a small network set up just to play with the C-7 (C-3 is my main hub); only have 4 Z-Wave devices (3 mains powered, 1 battery) which had been paired successfully (not without several false starts) on the prior firmware. I did a reboot after today's firmware update, but did not remove power from the C-7. After the reboot, all devices showed 'OK' in Z-Wave details page.

First Z-Wave repair went fine. Was happy to see that instead of 9 kbps or 'unknown', all nodes reported speeds in Z-Wave log that were 100 or 40 kbps. Things went downhill when I tried a second Z-Wave repair; logs showed a score of 'Busy' messages and every node ultimately 'failed, the maximum retries have been exceeded'. When repair ended, no Z-Wave devices were even controlable. Also odd was that all Z-Wave logging appeared to stop after the first successful repair.

So, shutdown the hub and pulled the plug. A bit later powered it up; all devices appeared 'OK' and functioning. All subsequent Z-Wave repairs (I've done three in a row now) have completed without a hitch. If I had to guess I'd say that the radio firmware update was not applied until power was removed from the hub and it was restarted.

Bryan, thank you for letting me know. I've been holding on finishing until I got that issue resolved. So as long as devices are responding, you don't see any issue with finishing the rebuild?

1 Like

Correct

Ok.. Obviously repair is still a bit touchy .. We are working on updates to this process.. But.. Repair should not be necessary on ZW+ devices on C-7.. The network will get sorted out after a bit of it having to resort to explorer frames. Repair is only really necessary at this point for legacy devices..

Too bad you can't do "targeted repairs" only on non-plus devices. Make it a feature and call it "Rapid Repair". :wink:

1 Like

+1

@JasonJoel Big changes coming to repair.. stay tuned..

5 Likes

Ok, but if you call it "Rapid Repair" I want my royalty checks monthly - none of those small weekly checks.

7 Likes

Yep, I get it. Actually 2 of the 4 devices are legacy (non-Plus; no explorer frames; multiple Z-Wave repairs aren't unusual in that scenario). But since the initial power cycle after updating, it has been behaving well.

2 Likes

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help with this.

I need help getting rid of orphaned devices from failed joins
Any links

1 Like

@bcopeland What causes the Busy message? I continued with the build out, but now I have the Busy messages starting as soon as I boot the hub. Z-Wave details just hangs waiting for refresh.

Any suggestions?

The excessive busy message issue is being worked on.

1 Like

Any update on the busy messages. I had to rollback to 2.2.2 and reset the zwave and redo all the devices yo resolve it. I. Now afraid to upgrade again. If I do upgrade do I have to upgrade the zwave radio firmware again as well. Or is that not rolled back. Thanks.so far I have half my devices added 54 devices:

8 are zigbee
5 at Philips hue
1 is tplink wifi
4 are virtual switches
29 zwave
1 phone device
1 notification
1 weather tile
1 Honeywell tcc

I am having the same issue with the busy messages. I have tried shutdown and safe mode. No matter what I do, I can't get rid of the busy messages and I can't control anything z-wave.

Is there anything else to try?

If I rollback, will it keep the new devices that have been added since the upgrade to 2.2.3.118?

They're working hard on the Busy message issue. I would wait a day or two if you can to see if a fix comes.

1 Like

for me. i had to restore to earlier firmware.. then do a complete zwave reset by typing in "reset" then re-add all zwave devices. Just rollback was not enough.... still had had the messages and slow perform/ or totally dead..