Not receiving SMS/Text Hubitat C-8 & iOS app

Hi, new user here .. but that shouldn't matter :slight_smile:

I closely followed the steps outlined here;

I have installed the Notification app and registered my iPhone. Still not receiving any SMS/Text messages. Any ideas to point me in the right direction? Thanks!

-peter-

It sounds like you might be confusing two, different things: push notifications (which the mobile app can do) and SMS/text messages (which are unrelated to any app on your phone and which the hub cannot do directly but could with a third-party service).

Further, there is no "Notfication" app to install on your phone; that is an app that is added to your hub. (You can access your hub from your phone, but it's accessible from any browser on your network.) The Hubitat Elevation mobile app is one option for receiving notifications. It sounds like you might have both of these parts right since I can't imagine what other combination could do what you describe if you actually set something up, but the distinction is worth noting.

So, that leaves a few questions:

• What is the configuration of this particular Notifications app instance? Did you select your phone (mobile app device) as the recipient of the notification?
  • Do you have push notifications enabled for the Hubitat Elevation app in your phone's settings? (A bit different on iOS or Android but under Settings in your OS for either.)
  • Do notifications work if you send one directly from the device detail page on the hub to your mobile app device? (From the hub--not the mobile app--go to Devices, find your phone, put some text as the "Device Notification" parameter, then press the button to run the command.)

And, I suppose, backing up a bit: are you actually trying to get SMS or do you want push notifications, as I am assuming above?

Hi Robert, thanks for the quick reply! You are correct, I am looking to enable SMS/TEXT messages. I installed the Notifications Built-In App on Hubitat, as described in the article I cited in my original post. I AM receiving PUSH notifications on my phone, and conducting the test you mentioned to send a test message worked fine (happy to say).

*The Hubitat help page states **"Choose the type of notification you want. You may send audio, text notifications via an app such as the Hubitat Elevation app." and For text notifications, choose a device such as the Hubitat Elevation app, Pushover, Twilio, etc"

To me, this implies that the Hubitat Elevation app can send SMS. So this is not correct?

Thank you.

-peter-

It is correct, but "text" is a generic term here that does not mean SMS specifically but rather a broad category including:

For literal SMS, you will need Twilio or a similar service. For Twilio, a driver is built-in to the hub, but you will need to subscribe to the service on your own.

Something else you can look into, depending on you provide: webCoRE can send emails, and some providers let you receive SMS by sending to a special email account that is normally related to your phone number. (But, of course, you'd have to use the webCoRE app for that automation instead of the Notifications app.)

As well, many ISP's have an email to SMS Text gateway, that enable you to send a SMS Text message by sending it to a specific email address. Each ISP is different in terms of it's gateway addressing, so you will have to look at the specifics to address your email correctly.
If you're interested, there is an excellent Gmail driver available in the Hubitat Package Manager: (thank you @ritchierich )

1 Like

I appreciate the replies. That clears things up. When I saw SMS/Text, I thought of traditional text messages. I now understand that it's not that simple. I am off to explore the Gmail driver.

Ciao!
-peter-

Pushover is a pretty simple, and cheap install and has a built in driver in HE. There is also a user created driver that gives you a bit more customization options.

I have been using it for years now and it works well.

2 Likes

Note that Pushover is still a push notification, just like the mobile app, so if actual SMS is the concern, that won't change anything.

Yes but I still find it to be a good notification app, it sounded like they were now willing to explore other options.

The Gmail option above was essentially proposed as a gateway to SMS. :slight_smile:

But it's definitely worth mentioning that push notifications are easy and (with many solutions) free if you don't have a reason to require SMS.

Also, depending upon the ISP, email to text gateways may not be dependable.

I'm on Verizon and their gateway has stopped working for me, others have reported the same, and for all I know it may still be working for some people.

To @peterbransche I'd suggest that Pushover, an option I avoided and kind of ignored for a long time, is an excellent choice, with features and capabilities well beyond what SMS texting can do. I've just adopted it and am finding it lightning fast, reliable, and very flexible.

1 Like

Also, doesn’t Teilio now charge per message for sms messages? I know it used to be a certain amount before you were charged , but I thought they changed that to be a per message charge. I second Pushover. It is push, but there is an option to make it send to an email address. Again not sms, but something other than push. I would just get away from SMS. Personally I get many other text messages, notifications would just get lost in the mess.

Thanks all for your feedback! With this good information, I found a simple solution. I use Consumer Cellular. They provide a special email address. For example, if I send an email to (for example) 5611235555@txt.att.net, the email messsage is converted to a standard SMS/TEXT message. Viola!

Thanks again to all!

-peter-

That actually works?
Good for you.

Works like a charm. Would have not known about it if not for this forum,

2 Likes

I have used Twilio for work since 2014 or so and it’s always been a usage based model. You have a monthly fee for a dedicated phone number and then you pay a few Pennie’s for each SMS and voice call.

2 Likes

Just a warning this isn’t that reliable. Many large wireless carriers are limiting usage and often block certain email domains. Sometimes the messages can be super delayed too.

2 Likes

Ahh, maybe that is what I was thinking of. I looked at it, but went the pushover route my self. One time $5 was a better deal to me.

1 Like

key, probably

I'm not messing about with any third party paid services or setting up anything which requires recipients to install additional apps.

Not to receive a simple message which I've been able to do for years with the advent of the simplest mobile phones in the 80's.

Here's my workaround which is rock solid.

2 Likes