[NOT MAINTAINED] Advanced Honeywell T6 Pro Z-Wave Thermostat Driver

Yes, and it represents a significant improvement over the early TH6320ZW2003. Sensors have better stability, the resolution of 0.5 degree works consistently now, and perhaps best of all they have introduced a report threshold for both temp and humidity.

One weird thing though. The new ones come with a much larger (wider) base plate. Fortunately, the new units are a perfect fit for the old base plates, so all you have to do is pull off the old one and pop on the new one.

Be sure to leave the batteries out when you initially pair. There are reports that if the initial pairing is done with batteries in place that the unit will not advertise itself as a routing node.

2 Likes

From the manual, how is staging done? Is it still based on cycles per hour? Or can temperature-delta be used to control staging?

Thanks!

Not sure I understand the question well enough. Are you asking what the trigger is for a higher stage? Or are you asking is CPH done by stage?

If the former, it isn't configurable. I expect it moves to a higher stage if it isn't able to reach the set point in a rational time. It learns what the system is capable of over time so it should be pretty good at handling this. Same as for recovery.

If the latter, the CPH is per type (heat/cool) and per stage.

The manual is available here. Installer menu begins on page 15. HTH.

This.

For the 500-series version, when the set number of CPH for heating stage 1 or cooling stage 1 doesn't meet the heating or cooling demand, it switches to stage 2 for cooling (or 2 and then 3 for heating).

So to delay the switch from stage 1 to stage 2, one could play with the number of CPH in each stage .....

But that type of staging control is not as efficient in my use as temperature delta based staging.

Shame, because I liked everything else about the T6.

While I no longer have multi-stage to test with, I believe the thermostat is relatively smart in this regard. I don't believe stage transitions are determined determined by CPH but by the performance history (temp/time) of various stages to reach a give set point. I certainly see recovery working this way.

Remember, CPH doesn't dictate a maximum run time--it is a maximum number of starts. I don't remember where I read this, but I really like the phrasing... "Temperature (distance from set point) always trumps CPH." :slight_smile:

Not that it matters because I switched thermostats, but there’s some detail here on how changing CPH for each stage alters staging:

I was hoping Honeywell had updated staging control in the T6 to match how it’s done in their Prestige IAQ series of thermostats.

1 Like

Yes, and it represents a significant improvement over the early TH6320ZW2003. Sensors have better stability, the resolution of 0.5 degree works consistently now, and perhaps best of all they have introduced a report threshold for both temp and humidity.

Thanks for the info; I have one on order so good to know. I read about pairing on wired power(common) first someplace, but didn't know it was specific to the 2007.

@aaiyar I assume mine is the earlier 2003? (not that I care, just curious)

1 Like

Yup 500 series. This one just came out.

1 Like

Interesting. How long did you let it learn? FWIW, mine in the past have taken several weeks.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the battery pairing issue was limited to the 2007. I think it would apply to both.

1 Like

About a year with a two-stage heat-pump. In the end I went back to a thermostat that controlled staging using temperature deltas. Kind of a shame, because I really liked most other things with the T6.

That's bad--clearly something wrong, either with the algorithm, the temp sensor or the hysteresis damping. FWIW, I had issues with temp (and humidity) in my old TH6320ZW2003s. One of my units was okay, the other was not so great. Both seemed heavily dampened, and would veery rarely report a 0.5 degree.

At least as far as the sensor / dampening issues are concerned, my new ones are much better. Unfortunately, I don't currently have multi-stage, so I cannot say whether the multi-stage behavior you saw has been corrected or not.

1 Like

When did it change to "Not Maintained"?

Did Hubitat included a generic driver into the hub?

1 Like

Yeah, it's been rolled into the generic thermostat drivers. The generic thermostat driver reads any available attributes from whichever thermostat. @bcopeland was the dev on it.

3 Likes

Make sure it's the Generic Z-Wave Plus Thermostat driver

4 Likes

I use the Plus driver for all Z-Wave thermostats now

3 Likes

You still running the T6 or is there something fancier out there nowadays?

1 Like

Thank you ...

I will change driver and try it out today.

1 Like

I have 2 T6's.. Some Z-Wave 700 series (I forgot the brand) and some GoControl's .. And now ecobee, because I took over that code..

2 Likes