Not impressed

Connected to a Hue Bridge or directly to your HE hub? What about the past logs. Do they show up anything?

1 Like

This a flag. Bulbs are bad Zigbee repeaters and Osram are big offenders. There’s good information about how to build a Zigbee network that is robust. In short, you don’t want Zigbee bulbs in the same network with non-Zigbee bulb devices.

1 Like

Info here on Z-Wave networks. Not Excluding and Factory resetting befor joining yo a new Z-Wave network can be one issue. Another can be a weak signal without a Z-Wave repeater in between. And sometimes the device just has not joined properly and you simply need to redo it.

Also, unlike Zigbee, Z-Wave does not automatically rebuild the mesh. You have to do a manual Z-Wave repair and the wait for it to stabilize. Z-Wave Plus tries to automatically rebuild the neighbor tables, but that functionality isn’t as good as Zigbee.

1 Like

If you have a Hue Bridge you could put the Osram & Cree bulbs on there and they wouldn't adversely affect your Hubitat Zigbee mesh. There are some tutorials out there on how to add non-Hue bulbs to the Bridge.

1 Like

In the US the osram bulbs are zha where hue supports zll. I believe osram in Europe though are zll and work with hue.

1 Like

This is correct. No North American Osram on a Hue Bridge.

Not for another year, they said. Not sure what the delay is in the US :man_shrugging:

Oh yeah? They’re still promising? It’s been years! :roll_eyes:

It's going to happen at the same time as Half Life 3.

1 Like

@april.brandt has some experience with these. They're pretty well known to ruin a Zigbee mesh. They might be the culprit behind some of your issues.

1 Like

She tossed them already LOL to much of a pain to keep them connected.

On the flip side, my 7 Cree bulbs have been rock solid for years and never given me a problem. So, lots of variables to consider.

1 Like

So you think it’s the osram lightify bulbs ?
What do you guys use then

I use Osram bulbs outside. Inside I use shelly devices to control switches/lights.

I had Zigbee issues that I traced back to a Cree bulb. Now I use mostly Hue bulbs on the Hue hub connected to HE. I also have a few Sengled bulbs connected directly to HE. Sengled bulbs do not repeat.

The cupboard of shame. 10 Crees just sitting there collecting dust. The problem wasn't keeping them connected, the problem was that they crashed the whole shebang and lights would only fire when they wanted to. I agree that you should take some time learning about a zigbee mesh. I didn't. I learned the hard way. Smartthings spent a lot of money on R&D for cree bulbs. Hubitat does not have the need or the resources to do so. I would suggest swapping your crees out with Sengleds. They don't repeat. Also add a few repeaters to your mix. I hope that you are working close to the hub out with your wired devices? This helps to create a strong mesh. I still have 5 sets of osram lightify LED's on my network. They often show poor signal, but they are working as they should. But, I'll fight to the death to keep my lightifys. If you still have smartthings, you could run hubconnect and keep your crees on that hub and run your rules from HE. Always a thought to separate your poor zigbee repeaters from everything else. IMHO

7 Likes

:roll_eyes: Every time someone has trouble with their mesh and say they’re using bulbs which ARE known to create issues with other devices on the Zigbee mesh, we get a few people that say how well it works for them :no_mouth:

Stop it you guys! :joy:
Let the troubleshooting follow a logical pattern. If the OP wants to experiment with adding the lights back in after things are stable, so be it. The first steps should always be to remove what is known by the majority to be an issue. :v:t2:

7 Likes

:smiley: Guilty, but I'm certainly not trying to steer anyone down the wrong path. It should be made clear that there's nothing inherently wrong with these bulbs if you implement them correctly. Though yes, if their idiosyncrasies aren't made known beforehand, they can lead one down a path of insanity. I have sought out Crees on a few different occasions specifically because they have performed well for me. Thus they shouldn't be written off entirely IMO. :call_me_hand:

That being said, I do agree @Kevin.tosca should put them on the "to try later" list, since I appear to be the outlier here :wink:

1 Like

If you have them on a separate network, they work fine. but, just in case you plan on seeking out more Crees I have 10 up for grabs. 3 bucks apiece OBO. :grin:

On another note please refer to the following post. I make my grief known. I am scarred. :grin:

1 Like

My deepest sympathies.

There is a chance I had benefited from SmartThings' R&D and my glowing experiences are coming from there. When I switched to HE, all of my Cree bulbs were at the farthest end of the house, where they had little chance to screw with the rest of the mesh. Somewhere along the way I moved them to the Hue Bridge and obviously haven't had any further issues. So, I may just be incredibly lucky to have not felt the Wrath Of Cree.