Node Red with Smarthings using Samsung Automation Studio

What is Samsung Automation Studio:

Samsung Automation Studio is a Node-Red pallet that Samsung has created to help with integrating their home automation options. It has the ability to integrate with Bixby and Smartthings using the new Smarthings API. This allows the ability to using polling methods in Node-Red to retrieve state back from Smartthings, but also allows the ability to create a Endpoint Webook that will allow Smarthings to push Device state changes to Hubitat.

Why would you want to use it.

This tool is probably one of the easiest ways to create simple automatons that will talk directly with the Hubitat Platform. The use of Node-Red as an intermediate server allows for the simple translation to make automatons between Smartthing and Node Red and in tern hubitat much easier.

What are the requirements for this integration

The minimum to enable Samsung Automation Studio to function is as follows.

1. A always on server that can run Node-Red
  2. A install of Node red that uses Node.js 14
  3. The Node red pallet node-red-contrib-hubitat installed

If you want to enable the ability for Smartthings to push events to Samsung Automation Studio on your Node Red instance, and therefore to Hubitat you will need to enable endpoints that will require the below items to be available

1. A reverse proxy like Nginx proxy manager
  2. A ISP and router that can do port forwarding for Port 80 and 443. If you already have this configured adjustments will need to be made so that Nginx can manage those ports
  3. Either a static ip at home, or a Dynamix DNS service like DuckDNS

Setup Example

For the purpose of simplicity I am going to describe the setup using a Raspberry Pi4. I have completed this install myself, but is far from the only way to complete this task. Most of these steps can be adapted to other OS's, and some steps can be skiped depending on what you already have deployed. But if you just want to start from scratch on a raspberry pi this will get you setup. My primary configuration runs using Unraid on my Home server with a VM for Node red configured as described here and Nginx Proxy running under Unraid in a Docker. This is just one easy way to get a functional environment setup.

1. Install Raspberry Pi OS on your Pi4

First is to install the OS your desired Raspberry Pi. I would suggest you follow the instructions provided on the raspberry pi website. The regular Raspberry Pi OS is fine to use for this purpose.

Once the OS is installed on your flash card, put the card in the Raspberry pi and boot it up. Log into the Raspberry Pi with SSH and run the below command to fully update the Pi.
hint: if you add a file just called ssh to the boot directory on the PI you can run it headless and don't every need to log into the desktop to complete the setup.

"sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade"

This command will take some time to complete. It will actually submit two commands and you will need to enter Y for the 2nd part to continue. So be ready to respond to that confirmation.

1. Second you will need to install Node JS

We need to ensure that Node.js 14 is loaded as the default install of Node-red will install a older version. This can be accomplished easy with the two commands below.

"curl -fsSL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_14.x | sudo -E bash -"

"sudo apt-get install -y nodejs"

1. Now you need to install Node-Red

Fortunately Node-Red has a nifty script for installing on a raspberry Pi. It is documented at https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/raspberrypi

Copy and past the below command to run a script that will automate the process of the install.

"bash <(curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/node-red/linux-installers/master/deb/update-nodejs-and-nodered)"

That script will check several things including the version of Node.JS running You should see that it skip the install process of Node.js because it is more current then what the script would install. Once the script completes and you are back to a command prompt we still to need start node red. Start node red with this command

"node-red-start"

Once that command is submitted you should see your SSH session scroll with messages indicating that the server has started. You should now be able to use your regular computer to access the Node-Red front end. Access Node red by typing in http://ip-or-name-of-pi:1880

Confirm that it is accessible. Once we know it is up, submit this command to ensure that it will start with the Pi after the next reboot.

"sudo systemctl enable nodered.service"

At this point you should have a working Node-Red instance and at this point if you don’t want to have Smartthings push events to Node-red to update Hubitat we can move onto finishing up node red setup for use. For event based pushes from Smartthings continue.

For event triggered updates from Smartthings additional setup is needed.

For Smartthings to let a remote service know when a event occurred immediately you need to use a Webhook web app. This gets registered with Smartthings in the Developer workspace and once setup smartthings will push those events that are subscribed to too your remote application that runs from Node-Red. Samsung Automation studio does have a very basic way to provide this functionality. But to enable it there is really one big hurtle to overcome. How do you get Smartthings to communicate to your local Node Red device consistently and reliably. First you need to always be identifiable on the internet. This is normally done with the use of a service called DNS or Domain Name Service. This means when smartthings says to go to myhome.com the DNS will tell Smarthings where it is. This can be accomplished in a few ways, but the method i am going to discuss is with a Dynamic DNS service called DuckDNS. Once you have a consistent way to get to your local server Smartthings also requires the connection to be secure and use SSL/TLS. This can seem a bit difficult at first glance but actually isn’t bad at all. We will accomplish this with a application called Nginx Proxy Manager.

1. Setup DUCKDNS

Duckdns is a free service that will allow you to register a subdomain under there main duckdns.org domain for free. You can do up to 5 for different hosts if you wanted, but one should be sufficient for this need. Go to www.duckdns.org and setup an account. Once that is completed register a new domain name to be used. When you setup your subdomain take note of the token provided as you will need this later in the steps to automate updates to your dns entry

Now Follow steps from https://www.wundertech.net/how-to-setup-duckdns-on-a-raspberry-pi/ to setup a cron job to keep DNS entry updated.

This cron job and script will make sure the dynamic DNS entry is always kept up to date.

1. Install Docker

Nginx Proxy manager requires docker to install. For that reason we need to install docker next. This can be completed with the below 2 commands

"curl -sSL https://get.docker.com | sh"

"sudo usermod -aG docker pi"

1. Install Nginx Proxy Manager

Nginx Proxy manager requires a few more steps so I am going to link to the tutorial I used just to get it installed. Follow these directions and it should install fine

This is all you may need as far as software for Node-Red with Samsung Automation Studio to communicate with Smartthings.

Node Red internal Setup

Node red is just the engine, but you still need the node red pallets installed to be able to do the automation tasks we will likely want. Specific to this purpose you would want to click on the sandwich icon in the upper right and the click on “Manage palette”. This will display the list of pallets installed and give a tab you can click on to install new ones. You will need to install at least the Hubitat Pallet and Samsung Automation Studio Pallet. They are names as below

Node-red-contrib-hubitat

Node-red-contrib-samsung-automation-studio-nodes

I would also suggest you review the Node Ned Pallet:Common-Choices

Setup Simple Polling

To setup a simple polling flow from smarthings to Hubitat is probably the easiest method to get data back to Smartthings. with about 4 nodes. A inject node to trigger the pooling action on a regular interval, The Smarthings "My Device" Node, and "State" node, and a hubiat Command node. The flow will resemble this.

The purpose of each node is as follows. The My Device Node will contain your samsung PAT or personal access token. This node will tell the flow what Smartthings devices it can access. The Inject node should be set to repeat at a interval and set the polling interval. The State node will tell the flow what device to pool and either to retrieve only a specific status's or multiple. The Hubitat Command node will then be used to send the command to Hubitat to update the hubitat device.

Setup Webhook Endpoints in Samsung Automation Studio and Nginx Proxy Manager

To start this setup you will need to do a few things and they are as follows.

1. Create the Samsung automation studio Endpoint in Node-Red.
  2. Enable forwarding through Nginx to your new Endpoint in Node-Red.
  3. Register your new endpoint with Samsung's Developer Workspace to enable access to the app.

Once these steps are completed you can setup the app in the Smartthings app and start to send data to the endpoint. Follow the below steps to create the endpoint in Node Red.

Create Samsung Automation Studio endpoint in Node-Red

A Samsung Automation Studio endpoint really requires 3 nodes to work properly. They are a Automation Node, Device profile node, and Event Node. The automation node will tell the flow what the endpoint URL will be that runs on your Node Red instance. The Device Profile node will tell Smartthings when it is executing the Smartapp install what the device type is to allow you to select as the trigger for your event or action. The event node is what will sit behind the endpoint and what Node red will use to capture the message from Smartthings and then pass the data to other nodes to execute a action. These nodes will capture the event and then you follow the Event node with the further automation you want to trigger based on that event.

This is an example endpoint flow that is setup for Smartthings to send motion events for a Arlo camera and then trigger a update to a virtual Motion device in hubitat.

Nginx Setup for Webhook Endpoints

Think of Nginx Proxy Manager as a traffic cop. It will sit on the edge of your home network connected to the internet and only forward the web traffic you want to internal resources such as the automation Endpoints . Along with being that traffic copy it will also provide the external connection with a encryption technology to ensure that your data stays private between your server and Smartthings.

Before we setup Nginx it needs to be accessible from the internet through your router. Update your router or edge network device to enable port 80 and 443 with port forwarding to go to your Raspberry Pi that we are setting up. This varies based on your home equipment.

Nginx should be accessible from your pi at http://raspberry-pi-ip:81. By defualt Nginx Proxy manager management interface runs on port 81. Go the log in page for Nginx Proxy manager and open up the admin interface. Once logged in click on the Host option across the top menu and then select "Proxy Hosts". This will take you to a new screen and you should have a button on the right to "Add Proxy Host". This will display the main dialog to add a dummy host for accepting the routing for your server connections. Fill in the information on this page as follows. Substitute your host name you registered with DuckDNS with the one I have in this setup.

Loopback is used as the forward location as a dumy location to create a unusable route. We really don't want this to work and we really want to just enable access via custom locations. So once this is filled out click on the custom location tab so we can create a location for each endpoint. The image below is a example setup for a endpoint. Replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xx with your raspberry pi's IP or Host name. Replace endpoint in the location and forward location with the endpoint folder specified in Node-Red.

Create a custom location following this method for each endpoint you want to setup.

The last thing we need to setup in Nginx Proxy Manager is to enable secure connectivity. This is done by clicking on the SSL Tab. Select the options as shown below and click on SAVE.

After you click on Save, Nginx Proxy manager will reach out to Let's Encrypt and retrieve a certificate for you and finishing setting up the reverse Proxy to enable the connectivity.

The last step is to now add this endpont to a Samsung developer work space.

Go to Samsung Developer Workspace and log in. Setup a account if you do not have one already. Once logged in click on "New Project". This will take you to a screen where you can select from two different project types. Click on the "Continue" link under "Automation for Smartthings App". This will take you to a screen where you can specify name of the automatoin you will create for the work space. Enter a name and click on the "Create Project" button. The project will be created and you will be taken to the Project overview Page. Click on the Register App button in the center of the screen. This will give you the option to select two different types of apps. Click on the option for Webhook Endpoint. This will enable a new section below were you just clicked. Enter the URL for the endpoint you created. It should be something like this if https://yoursubdomain.duckdns.org/nodered/endpoint. Load the full url of the endpoint and click Next in the lower right corner. Now provide a name for the app and a description that you may see in the Smartthings app. Select the top 4 options in the permissions section for deviceprofile and various device permissions. Scroll to the bottom and click on "Next". The next screen is unimportatnt so just click on "Save". The next display will provide some keys that are not relevant for this setup so just click on button to go to the project overview.

This time you see the Project Overview The middle section will display a little different. You will likely see a section above where the URL is listed for the endpoint created earlier. Click on the link for "Verify App Registration" and wait. Assuming you have Nginx setup correctly, and the Duckdns entry is writing to your home internet IP. A dialog box should pop up and then go away after a short period of time.

Now click on the blue button to "Deploy to test". This will make your new app available to you only

At this point you are almost ready to install the smartapp just created in the Smartthings app on your phone. You need to put your phone in developer mode. Follow these steps provided by Smartthings Enable Smarthings Developer Mode

Now restart the Smartthings app on your phone, and go and install the app as you would any other.

This seems like allot but it really isn't hard, just allot of steps. I would also say once you get the framework done, it is much easier to deploy new endpoints our services as you like

2 Likes

Interesting. Looks like you could use this as a bridge to ST. Need to play with it some more, but set up one of my Arlo cameras to forward the motion event from ST through NR and activate a virtual motion sensor on HE... If I get some time over the next few days I may look at controlling the Arlo from HE using the reverse flow.

That is kind of what I was thinking. Getting it to poll data seems like a piece of cake. I have it doing that now. I haven't been able to get the automation option to work yet though. Still trying to figure that out. I created a new app in my developer work space, but i feel like there is something in their documentation missing. It doesn't seem to mention anything about setting up the security pieces of the tokens in the app like i have done on a test app i did about 2 years ago now

Can I ask how you set up node red for smartthings cause I not having any luck with setting it up.

Really the only things you need to get started are:

1. a Personal Access Token from your SmartThings account
    SmartThings. Add a little smartness to your things.

2. Install the Samsung palette in node red
    node-red-contrib-samsung-automation-studio-nodes

3. Add a Samsung Automation Studio "My Device" node to a flow, and enter the Personal Access Token. Now the list of SmartThings devices should populate on the node.

4. Add a Samsung Automation Studio status/command/whatever node to interact with said device.

If you want to use the EVENT node, then yes, there is a bunch more setup. I'm not using that node, so can't provide those instructions.

1 Like

@leeonestop

So as @JasonJoel said setting up a connection from a local node red to poll from the Smartthings environment is pretty straight forward and just requires a PAT or personal access token from Smartthings. But that is simply polling so may be good in most cases but if you want to trigger based on events in Smartthings may not provide enough responsiveness. I also want to be clear you can issue commands with this as well.

To work off events you need Smartthings to push the events to you. There big requirement for that will be they only talk to a HTTPS/SSL encrypted endpoint. What that means is you need your local Node red instance used to recieve the event on the internet and secured in some fashion. In my case i already have a server that does reverse proxy to internal servers and it has SSL already on it. I just updated the config to include a redirect to Node red just for the endpoints created for Smartthings.

It isn't a super simple solution to do and depends on what you have at home. The gist of what you would need is likely a minimum of this.

1. A static ip so your internet connection to the internet doesn't change periodically.
  2. A http server with SSL enabled to redirect and filter the traffic to your local node red server. This needs to be on the internet and allowed through your firewall router.
  3. These servers need to be always on.
  4. Possibly a host name on the internet to direct Smartthings to as well. I haven't tried simply giving them my IP.

There may be some way to use ngnix server setup to redirect the traffic but i am not that familiar with it enogh to make anybsolid suggestions.

I also have a feeling Smartthings has some interesting Ratelimits and Guardrails in place on Smartapps that use events. I am having some weird experiences with my setup even though it works. The errors tend to point to rate limits.

At this point i would suggest you think about your use case and if possible use the simpler polling option.

When setting up your flows remember the "My Device" node and the "My Device Profile" node are really simply config nodes. You need them in your flow weather you use polling or events to enable access to the device or device type.

1 Like

Or maybe, since you have to use the Internet to get to ST anyway, create a Node Red instance in the cloud for this integration. Looks like IBM and Oracle both may have a free tier option that could host this.

1 Like

You don't (necessarily) need a "My Device Profile" if you are polling. I don't have it on any of my flows, and I'm getting data just fine.

Maybe there are other scenarios where you need it with polling that I'm not thing of though?

For example - this works fine (3 My Device, but no profile nodes):

The my device profile node is for flows that use endpoints. The my device node is for flows that do polling.

Sorry i wasn't clear on that.

1 Like

Thank you both for your helping and sharing. I don't have but a couple of items that won't work on Hubitat left on Smartthings. @JasonJoel are you using the Samsung Camera for your flow?

Arlo cameras in my flow.

@leeonestop

Based on how it works it should be manufacture agnostic in the flows as far as weather it is a Samsung Camera, Arlo Camera, or a Ring Camera. The device should be available.

It is more about the capabilities that the camera has in Smartthings. One way to check what that is may be to try to create a new automation in the Smartthings App. Then you can see what you can use as triggers with it and then what you can trigger it to do. I would expect that will reflect the same options you could possibly do with this automation option.

1 Like

@mavrrick58

Thanks for that info. I will try it and see what I get.

So one thing I have found working with Endpoints is that it doesn't like to do more then one subscription to a device in the flow.

I had a flow with 3 cameras in it and i was getting very strange results. Sometimes they would work and sometimes they wouldn't. So for now if you want to use endpoints to get the updates immediately into hubitat you will need to create separate flows with their own endpoints for each device and capability. I suspect this would result in us likely need to be kind of picky with what we have Smartthings push to us vs polling

I found this video for Nginx that may help others setup the endpoint if they want to with node red. This is in a way similar to what i have setup. Video.

Below is one of my flows that may help someone with a endpoint. It is pretty simple,

Endpoint used to for smartthing to push the status for the device you select and then it pushes a motion status update to Hubitat with virtual motion sensor to show active or inactive.

Has anyone upgrade the pallet in node red to 1.1.0. I originally had 1.0.16 when doing all my testing. Today realized that they had released a new package and tried to upgrade to it. Well it was a epic fail. All of my automatons quit working and then several of the nodes just simply don't work. I can't create a new one and the nodes through errors when just trying to setup something simple like pulling a status from a device. I have opened a issue on their github to hopefully get some answers. One of the things that looks good is that it appears the updated version may enable ways to setup multiple instead of everything being one at a time.

OK so late yesterday I got a response to my issue posted on the Github. It is labeled as a bug, but a work around seems to have been identified already by a different user.

Simply put it looks like the official Node-Red Docker container uses Node 10.x (or atleast the docker i am using with Node red). Samsung is doing there development with the newest version of Node.JS with Node red. That is 14.x. Simply put the answer to this is to ensure you are running a current version of node red ie 14.x

I have spun up a new VM on my machine to run along side of the docker instance and loaded Ubuntu, node.js 14.16 and then Node-Red 1.2.9. This seems to have resolved the problem that i was experiencing.

So simply put you need to be aware of what Node.JS version your Node red is running if you load 1.1.0 instance of the Node-Pallet for "Samsung Automation Studio". At this time you need to be running Node.js v14.16

1 Like

how would you do that and get access to your hub? Would it be simply using the Hubitat Cloud integration?

Thinking I should be able to use the Hubitat MakerApi Cloud Endpoints, but was having trouble getting the config node set up correctly (just a matter of time I think) - I can, however, post to the cloud endpoints using the http nodes. Haven't had much time to look at it in the last couple of days though.

Well that would open up things a bit easier. Samsung even has their own service to provide Samsung Automated Studio to users. Right now it appears free for the first year, with no indication to cost for it after that.

Just for reference, node-red does not recommend running node.js 14. It is supported, but not recommended (v12 is recommended).

https://nodered.org/docs/faq/node-versions

2 Likes