HubConnect install

I am currently trying to use the RM Global Variable Connector and am having issues. The client doesnt seem to be updating with the current variable. The log of the server shows the update sending, but the client device doesn't receive the updated variable. Anyone else experience this?

Now that Classic SmartThings is shutdown how do I setup the client app with IP address and key. The new SmartThings app shows

when I select the HubConnect Remote Client app. There is no where to input the IP address and key. If I select 'Connect to Server Hub' I get

Selecting Next takes me back to the first screen.

Any suggestions

Tom

Step One...

Don't Use v1.6.4 for SmartThings.

V2.0 is the correct version.

Simply replace all the existing pieces of code with the v2..0 ones.

1 Like

Thanks. Got them connected.

2 Likes

The installation for HubConnect with regards to a ST hub is AWFULL! First off, you don't install drivers in the IDE you install Device handlers. Minor point, that most of us know. Second off, the instructions stop after installing the SmartApp and the Device handler in the IDE. No reference to installing the app in the ST app. Third, even the instructions for installing in the IDE are incomplete. This is not a step by step for newbies. Been doing this for a while and had to extrapolate what the instructions were telling me to do. Lastly, could hubconnect.to install a freaking certificate already. These are not expensive and I struggled for quite a while to login with various accounts, compromising various credentials just to get the apps. Inexcusable, Not an easy site to access.

I believe that the community developer who developed HubConnect (@srwhite) has switched to using a different automation platform that is neither Hubitat nor SmartThings, and therefore its development is stopped. @csteele is kind enough to provide help to HubConnect users as and when he can (and this provision is gratis I might add).

The ST IDE is going away, sooner or later; probably sooner than later. And there are other ways to integrate Hubitat and SmartThings using Node-RED. See the linked post by @mavrrick58 on how to do so:

I would suggest using this approach over HubConnect - at least it is supported at the Samsung end.

1 Like

You should ask for your money back.

:thinking:

3 Likes

Don't get me wrong the effort is appreciated. Just that there was so much conflicting information and I didn't find one set of instructions that actually got me a complete installation. Would have gladly paid for the app if I could have installed it in an hour, I spent more that half a day on this, and I still don't have it working quite right, Connects and then disconnects. I know that the IDE is going away, which is the primary reason for moving to Hubitat. Once I can get all my devices moved ST will be gone. There are some DTH's and cloud based devices that I am going to have to spend hours working around, but it appears that the IDE is already half gone. It gets slower and slower each day. Can't wait till ST makes another change and everything stops working.

I still have Smartthings in a hubless setup. I use Samsung Automation Studio in Node Red to connect to that hubless Smartthings setup and be a middle man to update virtual Arlo Cameras on my HE hub. It has been working really good and could be done with a raspberry pi.

In the past few minutes, I went from this:

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.52.23 PM

.. to this:

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.53.12 PM

Leaving behind my ST Hubless connection. Later today, I'll be discarding everything from the other account and shutting down ST forever (I hope.)

This of course, ends my ability to provide ST Support for HubConnect. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The instuction are indeed a big mess but the contribution was invaluable once I figured it out. :wink:
I am only hanging on to ST (after 7 years) due to my Fibaro contact sensors. I use them for temp with a DS1820 and I can't get any HE drivers to work.
Once I cry and pay for Fibaro Smart Implants I'll be free of ST.

I have been running this for a while without any problems and I am trying to add a new device from ST to Hubitat but it keeps erroring out on me. Every time I try to save my changes in ST, I get an error message saying "We're having trouble connecting. Check your network connection and try again."

Everything shows as online on both ends though.

Seems to be working for me at the moment. I just tried adding a sensor to my SmartThings hub then selected it in the ST HubConnect app to synchronize to HE; everything worked as expected. Maybe a temporary issue on the SmartThings side?

I have been trying for about a week now. Just tried again and same error.

You may want to start investigating or planning for other alternatives to HubConnect. At some point, ST is going to end support for groovy on their platform and when that occurs, HubConnect will cease.

1 Like

I just went through setting Hubconnect up again this weekend. All I have left on it are my Arlo cameras and I only use it to turn then on and off. They were having some issues on the ST side with the Arlo integration, but it looks like they got it straightened out now. I did have to do a complete re-install to get it all working again and I was able to do it. I figured if I removed the ST remote server I would never get it going again, but it installed and set back up with no issues.

No date has been announced for that yet, correct? I wanted to move everything over to Hubitat but their z-wave implementation was horrible the last time I tried it,

no date has been announced but I would not be surprised if it should occur by mid year. who knows... it could drag out. I was only pointing out you and others should start planning on an alternative method or switch over entirely.

2 Likes

I still can't get this working. The connection in Hubitat says it is online but ST says offline and I get the same network error message when I try to go into the settings and hit done. How can I get this back online?

If I delete my network key, do I lose all my settings?