"No response" using new HomeKit integration (beta)

Are you running a hub, or just using your phone?

I have 4 Mini's and an Apple TV.

Should clarify. To make sure it wasn't a coincedence I watch the Home app on my phone for several minutes while it is saying no response. Then I go to my computer, open the HE app and bingo it almost immediately starts working. Have verified this several times. I can see maybe a coincedence once in a while, but it is very consistent.

I just had this happen Sunday morning (when I was at work) and then again this morning. Today it was only on one hub, but Sunday it was both hubs and HomeBridge, except for one child bridge (MyQ). Remotely restarting my HE Homekit beta apps fixed the Hubitat bridges, and the Homebridge ones resolved their issues while I was on my way home. Very strange since this hasnā€™t happened before with my setup.

Apple released an 'updated' 16.3 public beta today for those that might have updated to that beta prior to Apple pulling the 'architecture update'. Loading as we speak to see if there is any change in the 'no response' issues. :crossed_fingers:

Mine are updating to 16.3 as well but I haven't had a no response issue since the relaxed security option was implemented

1 Like

My integration refuses a virtual dimmer. Once i expose it to HomeKit, everything becomes unresponsive. Once i remove the exposure, all is back to normal.

@gopher.ny any thoughts?

Are you using the built in VD driver or a user one?

@rlithgow1 yes sir, the built in driver

I got nuthin then lol. Definitely an @gopher.ny issue. I know when I used a virtual button, homekit said it wasn't supported. Thought that was weird. I also assume you have relaxed security on?

Never changed the option Rick, i have changed the virtual device triggers. Thats why i thought to mention it here since i might have stumbled on some ā€œout of rangeā€ or other issue that might help solve (part of) the puzzle

Well, if you don't have Relaxed security on, I would turn it on. That's solved a lot of problems.

Sorryā€¦ i was unclear thereā€¦ relaxed security has always been on, never changed that

1 Like

Ahh, gotcha...

If you do a hub reboot will that automatically do a HomeKit restart?

Well, yes, on the hubitat side. I mean a program on the hub can't run if the hub isn't running. It won't reboot a homekit hub though. You will have to do that manually.

I guess I meant it would issue a Restart Integration just as if I pressed that in the app.

To clarify, I maintain a friends system. I just enabled the Homekit on his. Only about 10 devices, just switches and outlets. Did this on Wednesday afternoon. Thursday morning he was getting No Response. Using remote admin I did the restart. But he really can't do that himself. Just not computer/tech savvy enough. So thinking I could put something on a regular dashboard that would get him by if I'm not available. Hate to have to do a total reboot, but need something if it happens again.

Maybe @gopher.ny could add a hook that could restart the integration via rule. Though I know for at least during the beta he's working on possibly polling for a no response and having it restart itself. I don't know what would be involved in coding something like that. For myself it's been rock solid for the most part (once they enabled relaxed security it's been solid) I have seen one issue with buttons being persnickety but that's about it..

That has to be maddening for them to troubleshoot when it's rock solid for you and spotty for me and others.

1 Like

I read that he is probably working on some method to auto restart. Mine seems to be solid for several days, then stops. I had a handshake going on that would tell me if it did stop working, but there is currently no way to automatically issue the restart.

Been experimenting with how to detect if the integration is down if I don't happen to look at it for awhile. Here's what I ended up with that seems to work pretty good.

Once an hour I turn on a virtual switch. (In my case called Homekit Refresh). Then in the Home app on my Iphone I created an automation. When it sees the Refresh come on it turns on another virtual switch. (Homekit Handshake). In my HE app if I don't see that switch come on within 30 seconds of turning the Refresh switch on I send myself a pushover notification.

At least that way I know if it bombs and can maybe get on and do a restart. If HE gets it exposed so I can automatically do a restart I can simply change things to do that.

1 Like