"No response" using new HomeKit integration (beta)

I updated both hubs to 2.3.4.123 from .122 yesterday... I'll report if the issue persists. So far, all working OK in HomeKit.

Thanks!

1 Like

@rdstov - I'm having the same issue and was curious if you found a solution to only seeing a dimmer in HomeKit for GE/Jasco fan controllers?

I have unfortunately given up on the HE HomeKit beta integration and reverted back to the Homebridge version due to significant unreliability of the native HE HomeKit beta integration. I find the Homebridge setup to be rock solid compared to the HE beta HomeKit integration. I’m hoping they will fine tune it sooner than later, But, I had to take a look at reality and make note that they still label the google integration as “beta” after how many years?

2 Likes

It is odd how some are having no issues some can't get it working and some are having some intermittent problems. I added 2 Aeotec motion sensors a few days ago and exported them as temp sensors and got "no response" for several hours even with reboots of hub, app, and iPhone. I have the relaxed security set and I did the restart integration a few times to no avail. But then it started working again and now it's all good other than the two motion sensors never have showed up on Home even though they are checked to do so. :man_shrugging:

I have been unable to. Keep Hubitat connected to Homekit for the past week. All of the devices would be unresponsive after an hour or so. I had tried everything possible with no luck until yesterday. My Hubitat was connected to the network via wifi. As a last resort I connected it directly to the router with a 20’ ethernet cable. All devices have stayed connected to Homekit for almost 24 hours now. The Hubitat had been connected via wifi for several months without any issues to any other devices or automations. Connecting Hubitat via ethernet seems to have corrected the issue with devices not responding in Homekit.

When I first started using Homebridge my original server was connected via Wifi. I was having issues with No Response on occasion and if I closed and restarted the Home app it would usually work again. The consensus was that was not normal and to move the server to Ethernet. Once I moved the server next to the router with ethernet (and eventually replaced it with a micro PC) the issues went away.

Also, wondering if you have any sort of Home Hub device (Homepod or ATV)? I think having a solid Home Hub helps.

I am using an ATV as the Homekit hub. That has been connected via ethernet all along. The only change I made yesterday was to connect the Hubitat with an ethernet cable instead of the wifi adapter.

1 Like

I moved most of my devices back to Homebridge today. I really wanted to use this integration but it was way too fragile with the frequent re-starts and unresponsive devices. Homebridge is just more reliable at the moment. So I moved all of my critical devices back to homebridge but left a few lights, switches and sensors that are less important on the beta integration to monitor if it improves. Fortunately, my automations are largely on HE so it was relatively easy.

I only have a small fraction of my devices exposed through the HE HK beta integration - enough to allow me to observe/test/etc., but not enough where any issues impact the family, basically. The rest are still exposed through Maker API/homebridge. I will say this: there's a fair amount of ... instability? ... in the HK env, generally, right now. I think Apple pulled the HK 16.2 arch upgrade (again?) - so that's certainly indicative of some issues - definitely a challenging time for HE to be putting their integration out! My current plan is to just not touch anything ... remove Apple devices from beta update channels, just wait for stable channel updates to come through with hopefully good, solid releases. I'm not even putting my ATVs back into HK for now.

I've had to nuke & re-setup my home 2x since 16.x stuff (mostly related to 16.2 beta/arch upgrade/invites/etc.) - I don't want to do that again (it's a PITA, even with the Controller for HomeKit backups), so I'm going to play it safe for now :slight_smile:

Yes I just moved 35 devices back to Homebridge. I fought with Hubitat integration from day 1, and Hubitat even poked around the engineering logs on my hub. But it was WAY too fragile. I'm throwing in the towel, which is sad. I really wanted the native integration to work. My dozen+ child bridges on Homebridge are 1000% rock solid, even with 16.2 and the new homekit architecture.

1 Like

Hmm, 63 devices exposed to homekit fine. Running 6 homepod minis and an apple tv, 16.2. It's been pretty solid.

Mine had been for weeks but yesterday it was "no response" most of the day. Reset integration and reboot hub and close and relaunch app did nothing. Today it finally started working again no rhyme or reason.

As @jrh1194 mentioned a couple of posts before, the cable connection of Hubitat (instead wifi) to the router directly solve his issue with "no response". I got a cable connection directly hub -> router from the beginning, and still experiencing issue.
In my case, I got "no response" let's say once a day then I click "restart integration" and everything back to normal.
@gopher.ny i got a small 2 small ideas/suggestions:

1. why don't you add a couple of lines of code restarting HK integration app automatically let's say once per hour (or 2 hours), or maybe adjustable by user period of time? The restart takes only 1 second or two and every back to normal, nobody will even notice that
  2. is it possible to create watchdog checking connection with HomeKit automatically even every second or minute, and in case of "no connection" restart integration automatically?

I'm not a professional coder so this is just an idea, what maybe will work? :thinking:

I'm inclined to do that just based on the amount of "everything works after integration restart" feedback :slight_smile: Next build.

4 Likes

O'right, let's hope I'm not the only one "after restart works" boy? :thinking: :smiley: ...guys any others?

1 Like

Isnt that a bit like camouflaging the elephant in the room?..
Obviously the integration shows potential but is not yet mature.

I have 6 childbridges on my HK, varying from official bridges like Hue to custom bridges from HomeBridge, Hoobs and HomeAssistant. They are all stable……

Dont get me wrong, i got my C7 just for this, being able to beimg my zwave and zigbee devices to HomeKit and it does just that…. But it needs some love and time improving the integration in stead of putting make-up on mannequin

Very similar situation here. I have two HE/Homekit installations in two separate locations. Both work extremely well for 3-4 days at a time. Then, BAM, no response on one or the other (sites are not network connected in any way). 100% of the time clicking' restart integration' resolves the problem(s) and I'm good for another several days.

I've tried really hard to correlate these 'no response' events to something happening on site, but no luck thus far.

It creates better user experience while I'm looking for the root cause. Doesn't mean I'll stop looking :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What about some sort of polling? If x gets no response, restart integration. Repeat every 10 mins? (Not sure if that's doable or not)

1 Like

Exactly what I meant :facepunch: