No firmware updates?

We rent our place, so we can't swap out switches that keep power to lights while the switch is off, so MacGyver solutions get implemented.
My wife would've been happy with tape over the switch, buy oddly I wasn't :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

When I rented my last place, that did not stop me at all from using smart switches. I simply replaced them with the original dumb switches when I left.

Practice makes perfect, right? Might as well practice in someone else's house before you get your own.. :joy:

I think I inadvertently opened a Pandora's box I didn't mean to. I am in trouble now.

1 Like

The bots are always watching. Just went to Amazon. Here's the first ads: :joy:

I must need to update pihole.

3 Likes

Sorry, that was me. I'll log out of your account now... :wink:

5 Likes

You may have violated the terms of your lease, but got lucky by not getting caught.

2 Likes

If you know what you are doing and local code allows it, you do not even need that. Just wire the line and load together and connect it to the line side of a smart switch. Using something like [RELEASE] Switch Bindings to bind the smart switch with the smart bulbs works well.

When my wife and I bought a new house last fall, the previous owners and had put Treatlife switches everywhere. Thankfully, they work with [BETA] Tuya Cloud Driver (Limited device support) and the cloud updates are almost instantaneous. We already had Phillips Hue bulbs, so I just wired the smart switches and used Hubitat to sync them altogether. After adding lux and motion sensors, no one touches the switches anymore, so I might rewire them back, but right now it works incredibly well.

I did not even consider that. You're probably right.

I know we just met, so I understand your overesitmation of my knowledge and skills. :wink:

One issue for me is I want my wiring to be as standard as possible so that when I pass from this mortal coil my wife/sons and their electricians aren't befuddled by unexpected wiring/behaviors.

4 Likes

I have the problem now that my wife WANTS me to put new stuff in, but my electrical knowledge isn’t up to the tasks she wants done.

2 Likes

I know, we could start a company! We'll call it:

Electrical No-How

We'll make a million. That should cover at least part of the lawsuits. :smiley:

5 Likes

Can I recommend the law firm of Dewey, Chester, & Howe Llc. To represent you?

2 Likes

Too late!

We've alread reatined Dewey, Cheetum, & Howe, LLC (Limited Liability Cheaters).

5 Likes

Most importantly.... Will they will represent disgruntled users of Community integrations that don't work with new platform updates?

1 Like

1 Like

Can we start calling both of you as Click and Clack? Or do you prefer being known as the Tappet brothers?

6 Likes

stupid autocorrect!

2 Likes

You mean this, right? :rofl:

3 Likes

How about Dumb and Dumberer? Or Pete and RePete?

The two of you can tell us which is which. :rofl:

3 Likes

Where did you hide that camera in my office????

1 Like

One thing I have done is turned to 3d printing shops to help in specific instances. For single light switches in my children's bedrooms, I just use one of these (Philips Hue 3d-printed SPACER to Mount Hue Dimmer Switch Smart Button Tap Dial Baseplate Over Decora or Toggle spacer V2/btn/td - Etsy) and mount a hue button over the top of the switch. The button toggles the hue bulbs in the overhead fixture, leaves the wiring alone, and is approved by the wife.

1 Like