New: Third Reality Power monitoring plug

FFS..., this device is hopeless...
I guess it makes sense, since it doesn't need a binding to report in the first place, makes sense that there's nothing to unbind...

I will send an email to the contact that I have that sends us the firmware updates and lodge my complaint (er.. feature request)...

5 Likes

And maybe point them at the Zigbee spec, which apparently they have never bothered to read.

1 Like

while your at it if you could get them to fix the fw in this as well otherwise it is a nice product..
ie

1 Like

its all the same "feature", ie no implementation of reporting configurations...

3 Likes

If you can get them to get freaking double-taps on their buttons to be consistent, I'll give you a dollar :laughing:.

2 Likes

Hope they look at this, most like their product(s), but if there is no support then...I got 16 days left to return, lol.

1 Like

Those should go on the "do not use with hubitat" list. That's crap,

EDIT: Ok, to be fair, this is something that could be fixed with new firmware. I guess we should give them a chance to say if they will fix it or not. And I do say "fix", as that is broken - not a "feature".

2 Likes

yeah, kind of where I'm headed with these guys, i certainly intend to play that card...
The fellow that sends me the firmware updates does post here from time to time.

4 Likes

FWIW, @ThirdReality - I recently needed a couple power reporting plugs. Wanted to get ThirdReality. Saw this topic, got a two-pack of Sengled power-reporting plugs instead.

5 Likes

It will be a crying shame if they dont help out. This thread clearly shows there is interest in their products. I hope they come through because at battery change time this spring I was planning on replacing all my battery sensors left in my house with theirs because of the AAA batteries.

3 Likes

Agreed.

I like their offerings. But as much as I like the features/price point, it doesn't make any difference if they don't work well / cause other issues.

4 Likes

For those who do not need the power monitoring feature, I see that Amazon has the Third Reality Gen1 plugs back in stock. For a while, they only had the Gen 2 plugs available. The Gen 1 plugs work well without the added traffic on the mesh. The Gen1 plugs are also cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/THIRDREALITY-Zigbee-Function-Certified-Required/dp/B09KNDM4VV/

4 Likes

Thanks! I also saw that a few days ago and snapped up the gen1 plugs.

I’m glad I revived this thread and asked about how chatty the gen2 plugs are. No way I’m touching those unless there is a confirmed firmware update that makes them function in a way that ‘the elders’ (using that term with due respect, and not an age reference) deem proper.

be sure to put labels on em! A year from now, I'll forget there was a difference and stumble into this again lol

Yeah! I did purchase 4 of the power monitoring plugs as I occasionally want to check power draw. For most applications, the Gen1 plugs without power monitoring are adequate. There are a few smart plugs I use for their switching capability, but many I just use as repeaters. The Third Reality Gen 1 plugs are great repeaters. At the low price, you can get several.

I was playing with Wireshark as I learn how to really use its capabilities for Zigbee sniffing and thought I'd see just how much of my Zigbee traffic is the electrical monitoring traffic from my 4 Third Reality power monitoring plugs:

Top line is total Zigbee packets, bottom line is traffic excluding the Metering and Measurement clusters. This tells me I really do NOT want to add any more of these to my network :frowning:

9 Likes

Now i want to see what other monitoring plugs are doing. I use Iris v1 plugs and was told to use them sparingly.

Yeah... That's the reason I only have Wi-Fi power mongering plugs. Of course I have to integrate them through home assistant or node red, and then back into hubitat, but I don't have to worry about update rates in any practical way.

My unifi APs can handle quite a lot of traffic and clients.

You have to do that with a Kasa?

Good point. I'm sure there are some that natively integrate with hubitat.

I'm not using kasa right now, I think mine are sonoff s31s - which may also be able to integrate locally to hubitat, I'm not sure.

I tend to not put lan integrations on my hubitat to avoid loading issues.

My home assistant and node-red containers have much higher spec hardware, so they're a better place for lan integration that could be chatty in my opinion.

2 Likes