New: Third Reality Power monitoring plug

Saw same thing on there multisensor ..reporting every 10 secs or so. And ignoring parameters to configure it. Contacted 3rd reality and they basically said go pound sand. Crappy support... sent back to amazon. Will no longer buy there products. Shame as you said as the large batteries are nice.

Even if you unbind the cluster to stop reporting isn't the device still spamming the airwaves unnecessarily? And wont having multiple of these devices still cause major issues?

1 Like

If you unbind the device it shouldn't send that clusters data to the hub

2 Likes

Unless I'm doing it wrong, it still sends even unbound. Even a brand new reset plug without any configuration (i.e. no reporting, no binding commands sent) will spam which is why I wasn't completely surprised this didn't work either.

zdo unbind unicast 0x268D {282C02BFFFEB3EEB} 0x01 0xb04 {000D6F00161EB946} 0x01
zdo unbind unicast 0x268D {282C02BFFFEB3EEB} 0x01 0x702 {000D6F00161EB946} 0x01

Which comes from:

cmds.addAll(
        // zdo unbind unicast DEVICE_NETWORK_ID {DEVICE_ZIGBEE_ID} DEVICE_ENDPOINT CLUSTER_ID {HUB_EUI} HUB_ENDPOINT
        "zdo unbind unicast 0x${device.deviceNetworkId} {${device.zigbeeId}} 0x${device.endpointId} 0x${Integer.toHexString(zigbee.ELECTRICAL_MEASUREMENT_CLUSTER)} {${location.hub.zigbeeId}} 0x01",
        "zdo unbind unicast 0x${device.deviceNetworkId} {${device.zigbeeId}} 0x${device.endpointId} 0x${Integer.toHexString(zigbee.METERING_CLUSTER)} {${location.hub.zigbeeId}} 0x01",
    )

Anything wrong that you can see?

try this:
return "zdo unbind 0x${device.deviceNetworkId} 0x${device.endpointId} 0x01 0x0B04 {${device.zigbeeId}} {}"
if that doesn't work then these devices are really non compliant...

1 Like

This is what I got:

sent: zdo unbind 0x268D 0x01 0x01 0x0B04 {282C02BFFFEB3EEB} {}
received Unbind Response error "Read Only":
[raw:catchall: 0000 8022 00 00 0040 00 268D 00 00 0000 00 00 DA88, profileId:0000, clusterId:8022, clusterInt:32802, sourceEndpoint:00, destinationEndpoint:00, options:0040, messageType:00, dni:268D, isClusterSpecific:false, isManufacturerSpecific:false, manufacturerId:0000, command:00, direction:00, data:[DA, 88]]

FFS..., this device is hopeless...
I guess it makes sense, since it doesn't need a binding to report in the first place, makes sense that there's nothing to unbind...

I will send an email to the contact that I have that sends us the firmware updates and lodge my complaint (er.. feature request)...

5 Likes

And maybe point them at the Zigbee spec, which apparently they have never bothered to read.

1 Like

while your at it if you could get them to fix the fw in this as well otherwise it is a nice product..
ie

1 Like

its all the same "feature", ie no implementation of reporting configurations...

3 Likes

If you can get them to get freaking double-taps on their buttons to be consistent, I'll give you a dollar :laughing:.

2 Likes

Hope they look at this, most like their product(s), but if there is no support then...I got 16 days left to return, lol.

1 Like

Those should go on the "do not use with hubitat" list. That's crap,

EDIT: Ok, to be fair, this is something that could be fixed with new firmware. I guess we should give them a chance to say if they will fix it or not. And I do say "fix", as that is broken - not a "feature".

2 Likes

yeah, kind of where I'm headed with these guys, i certainly intend to play that card...
The fellow that sends me the firmware updates does post here from time to time.

4 Likes

FWIW, @ThirdReality - I recently needed a couple power reporting plugs. Wanted to get ThirdReality. Saw this topic, got a two-pack of Sengled power-reporting plugs instead.

5 Likes

It will be a crying shame if they dont help out. This thread clearly shows there is interest in their products. I hope they come through because at battery change time this spring I was planning on replacing all my battery sensors left in my house with theirs because of the AAA batteries.

3 Likes

Agreed.

I like their offerings. But as much as I like the features/price point, it doesn't make any difference if they don't work well / cause other issues.

4 Likes

For those who do not need the power monitoring feature, I see that Amazon has the Third Reality Gen1 plugs back in stock. For a while, they only had the Gen 2 plugs available. The Gen 1 plugs work well without the added traffic on the mesh. The Gen1 plugs are also cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/THIRDREALITY-Zigbee-Function-Certified-Required/dp/B09KNDM4VV/

4 Likes

Thanks! I also saw that a few days ago and snapped up the gen1 plugs.

I’m glad I revived this thread and asked about how chatty the gen2 plugs are. No way I’m touching those unless there is a confirmed firmware update that makes them function in a way that ‘the elders’ (using that term with due respect, and not an age reference) deem proper.

be sure to put labels on em! A year from now, I'll forget there was a difference and stumble into this again lol

Yeah! I did purchase 4 of the power monitoring plugs as I occasionally want to check power draw. For most applications, the Gen1 plugs without power monitoring are adequate. There are a few smart plugs I use for their switching capability, but many I just use as repeaters. The Third Reality Gen 1 plugs are great repeaters. At the low price, you can get several.