New method to open / close Chamberlain MyQ garage door

I have not had consistent success with the app that is provided in forum to open and close my MyQ Chamberlain garage door. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I discovered a new method that seems to work well that uses HE and SimpleCommands "SC" .

Go to Simplecommands website and create an account. Within the website you can connect your MyQ account to your new SC account. Next create a SC routine such as open garage door. Next create an action which is open garage door. Next you create a trigger and you select webhook. When you do this it will give you a webhook URL. Use the URL in RM as a HTTP action. Save it and you are done!

Update: If you wish you can create two virtual buttons in HE, one for open garage door and the other close garage door. Then use RM to trigger an action from the button.

Thank you for posting this, currently using the MyQ user app.

Gave it a try, but really don't want to add IFTTT into the mix.

Setup an account, then quickly added my MyQ garage door

Then setup a SimpleConnect Routine with a 'shortcut' URL to open the door. URL: https://api.kloee.com/api/webhooks/yada-yada-yada-yada where yada is a unique command key

• the shorcut URL works without a login from any browser I've tried: Edge, Vivaldi, and Firefox

• but fails when attempted to execute it from a HE dashboard "Link" with
    Vivaldi "api.kloee.com refused to connect"
    Firefox : "Firefox Can’t Open This Page To protect your security, api.kloee.com will not allow Firefox to display the page if another site has embedded it. To see this page, you need to open it in a new window."
    Edge " api.kloee.com" refused to connect"

• Update It works from the HE dashboard when using the Hubitat App

• Update2 working without IFTTT

2 Likes

Update to my initial post. Here's how to make it work without IFTTT

1. Use the SC ShortCut link in an HE Link tile.

2. Display the dashboard using the Local or Cloud link from the Dashboard app. This is Fully's Start URL. Note it will NOT work from the HE Menu's Dashboard button, but worked for me with the HE Android app.

3. Tap the HE dashboard tile containing the SC ShortCut link

YES! That's it. I used a "POST" request and it works. I updated my original post with the improved instructions.

Hope this helps other people looking for a solution.

Thanks for this really helpful post. I’ve been trying to get HE to work with my MyQ, so I’m grateful for the ideas. I’m needing a bit of help, though.

I setup the account with Simple Commands, connected the MyQ, created a routine, and setup a web hook.

In HE, I created a virtual garage door and then setup a Rules Machine Rule triggered when the garage door is opening. The action is an http post with json, and I use the url as https://api.kloee.com/api/webhooks/

Then I used all of the stuff after that in the URL for the POST XXXXXXXXX-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-etc

It didn’t work. Any suggestions? I did verify the Simple Commands Link to MyQ works.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

Good morning, newbie here. What are HE and RM?

Hello:

HE = Hubitat Elevation hub (i.e. the automation hub used by members of this online community)
RM = Rule Machine (one of the built-in automation engines/apps available for the HE hub)

@aaiyar Thank you!

1 Like

Another newbie question (I found this community because of the MyQ debacle.) Beside keeping things local (and not in the cloud) what do persons find is the biggest advantage of using the HE? (For instance, the use of MyQ Lite or SimpleCommands or IFTTT or even Siri Shortcuts work well albeit they are not local. But on Amazon, the HE is now $140. Seems like a pricey addition.)

Cheaper just to order it direct from Hubitat ... but you might want to split your question off onto its own thread so that this one stays on topic.

2 Likes

Local control is the biggest win - it gives better consistency and faster responsiveness. Cloud stuff generally works great until it suddenly doesn't... Sometimes it's just an annoying temporary server outage, but sometimes it's a major break like a key service feature (e.g. API) that's discontinued with no warning.

Local control isn't always perfect or error-free either, but the amount of things that can go wrong definitely goes down a lot with local control.

2 Likes

Good point. I apologize.

1 Like

No need to apologize, we're all guilty of it at some point (I'm usually the guilty party :crazy_face:)

1 Like

@thebearmay I appreciate the pass. Nonetheless, you're right and I did start a new thread.

1 Like

Been attempting to get this working again without success now that the MyQ app is currently failing.

The Simple Commands open and close door commands work, however after clicking on webhooks, the open and close commands don't work from a browser or RM5 using Get or Post.

Anyone have this working?

My Door Open command
https://api.kloee.com/api/webhooks/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx?commandverb=open

Results when entered from browser
{"sessionId":"xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx","requestId":"xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx","responseText":"Not possible to execute the command requested.","responseCode":"SESSION_CONNECTOR_COMMAND_ERROR","followUpExpected":false,"sessionComplete":true,"json":null}

Also sent help request to Simple Commands

I gave up on this method to open my garage door. The MyQ code kept changing. I went with a Zooz relay. Works 100% of the time.

For right now, this would be my end all be-all decision maker: With MyQ having changed the API to use Oauth 2 + PKCE, will the HE STILL control the MyQ or would I have to wait until MyQ Lite is updated for that?

This.

I am not a coder, but I expect that this will require an extensive rewrite of things. And the current maintainer/author of the app has indicated he is extremely busy right now, so it may be some time before this rewrite happens.

So if you are patient enough to wait (weeks? months?) for someone to fix the app, fine. Otherwise, I advise finding an alternative way to control the door if that is important to you.

2 Likes

@neonturbo, This actually speaks to my concern. The MyQ API has broken for times in the last two years. So, the HE is dependent on that for this. It took SimpleCommands seven weeks to get their link to MyQ working again.

@arnb same. I could not use the WebHook from within Siri Shortcuts to work, so it's not just you. I'll bet it has something to do with MyQ using Oauth 2 + PKCE now. (Think about how with a Gmail account, it has to go through a web browser to authorize. This is how I understand the MyQ authorization.) Somehow, SimpleCommands was able to do that in their All Items linkage, but it doesn't appear to work with a webhook.

1 Like

Saw today that someone had published a Node-Red npm for MyQ in the last few days. Haven't had a chance to validate it yet, but if someone wants to look at it:

1 Like