New Iris V1 device support

How are the battery life on the motion sensors?

Battery life on the Iris V1 motion sensors seems to be pretty good. I don't expect it to be any less than when they were connected to the Iris hub.

I am having one issue with the V1 keyfobs. They seem to drop off hubitat. I had one connected to operate some lights with presence disabled. It stopped working. I had another set up with presence on my wife's keyring. It was reporting as not present on my dashboard. This was not the first time it has happened. I have removed the V1 keyfobs from Hubitat for the time being.

I had 1 contact sensor (out of 5) that would not pair trying several times. Then while I was trying a new contact sensor they both paired the next night. I also a motion sensor that I tried for 2 days, removing battery, reset switch8 times, I changed channel to 25 (per your note) with no results. Changed back to 20 and all is good. paired first time in about 3 seconds.
I now have all of the sensors about 30 feet away (different room) and will keep testing them for the next week before I trust them. In all cases above I was within 3 feet of hub. I guess this V1 stuff is kinda picky on pairing.

It is very picky. I am wondering if the channel change, doesn’t seem to matter which channel, just changing it after trying the initial pairing? Or if it might have something to do with signal strength and nearby WiFi channel interference, in which case this would be different for everyone. I was struggling with all v1 devices until I changed channels, now they pair up quickly, and I am not close to the hub. My motion sensor was pairing as 2 to 3 separate Zigbee motion devices, all with different ID’s. I wonder if interference in radio communication on these can cause the device to not pair and register correctly.

@rich.princeau and @jdjmailbox, you're probably aware of this now and I'm late to the party, but the HE staff keep advising that all but "Locks" should be paired "in place".
Whatever, it sounds like you're getting the old Iris devices paired up now. :+1:

I was pairing in place. The weird thing was the 2-3 different devices showing up for 1 motion sensor.

You probably have some interference or bad devices. Changing to ZigB channel 20 and forcing my 2.4 wifi to channel 1 made great improvements to both networks for me.

1 Like

I have a V1 contact sensor. I was trying to check the temperature of my freezer with it. The temperature was around 32 degrees for an actual reading, and then it changed to 7230.0 degrees. Has anyone else had this same issue. Also I can not find any info on the range of temperatures for this contact sensor?

Yes! And I need it to control and warn.

A word of caution about buying V1 devices online...

Right now you can still find retail-new V1 devices to be quite plentiful on eBay, but with everything buyer beware. Over the years, Lowes has issued a handful of firmware updates for the older V1 devices. Since that platform is now shut down, these firmware updates are no longer available and were not posted with the Arcus code.

Any retail new devices you buy on eBay will have original firmware on them. The most recent manufacturing dates I've seen for V1 devices means that even the latest device is running firmware that is at least 5 years old!!

Why does this matter? I recently tried pairing a V1 SmartPlug that I had purchased from eBay for testing a while back. It was still in the blister pack with a manufacture date of 21W12 (21st week of 2012). The plug refuses to report on/off status and actually floods the Zigbee network with nonsensical messages. I removed it and will be sending it to @mike.maxwell to play around with.

The moral of the story here is that the problem could very well be the device itself and due to them running extremely old firmware.

8 Likes

Kudos to the Hubitat folks for giving us this capability. I originally transitioned to Smartthings when IRIS shut down, and of course spent the $1,300 dollars Lowes sent me to buy many new smart home toys. Nothing wrong with smartthings, and it is indeed easy to get basic functionality there, but I quickly learned that to really do anything I would still have to learn a new language so to speak. About the same time I started looking into webcore, I saw that I could add much of my old first gen IRIS stuff to my setup if I added a Hubitat hub. Only about a dozen items, but the additional hub would cost less than replacing them.

Ordered the C-5 Hub off amazon on saturday night and it arrived Sunday night. In the last couple evenings I've decided I like the Hubitat system much better, and have switched 60 items over to it so far, in addition to adding in about half the old V1 stuff. ie pocket sockets, door and motion sensors. Still working to learn how to do rules, and fine tune my automation for my door locks. So far, everything works great be it using old IRIS components, or the new stuff I've just purchased.

4 Likes

G’day mate, great to hear you’ve found life after Iris, ain’t so bad.

2 Likes

Is there any plans that Hubitat will allows us to perform firmware updates on devices in general?

At some point yes, though it's a ways out. Keep in mind that having the ability to update firmware doesn't imply we can get our hands on a given devices firmware file...

3 Likes

I know a coupe folks who were close to members of the Iris team. Perhaps they can get someone to release those firmware images. However, since Lowe's did compensate folks for their V1 devices, with the expectation that they were destined for a landfill, I wouldn't expect Lowes to provide them.

1 Like

So I'm experiencing one of my v1 motion sensors stuck in an active state...

Any suggestions?

Have you tried pulling the battery?

Could the battery be dead? I’m seeing rapid declines in V1 battery reports on my devices. I’m not reading too much into it since these are new devices with 2012 manufacture. That makes the batteries 7-8 years old.

Last battery report was 77 but yes these are super old.

In the logs it’s still reporting temp though?

** Wrong, it's still reporting battery after all. ***

Does the battery reporting work properly on the iris v1 motion sensors ?

I put a brand new battery in a few motion sensors and I’ve noticed the battery has dropped from 100 to 95 within two days....