New Homebridge Plug-in via MakerAPI

Sorry if this has been answered, I don’t know how to search within a thread. Do any contact sensors show temperature also in homekit? Will the vision asl report temperature?

Don’t use hoobs if you can help it, Homebridge is MUCH more stable and includes that u.i now. 1 command like install and it’s EXACTLY like hoobs. Switched about 3 weeks ago

1 Like

Yes, my contact sensors with temperature show up in Homekit just fine as long as Hubitat can see the temp capability. They are combined into one device but you can choose to show as separate devices in the Home App.

Also agree with you regarding HOOBS...had it installed a while back and it wasn't stable for me either. Also had some strange things happening where some of my lights would turn themselves on and off etc. for no apparent reason.

I am now using this great raspberry pi homebridge image...GitHub - homebridge/homebridge-raspbian-image: Official Homebridge Raspberry Pi Image based on Raspbian Lite.

Yes, hoobs was just “weird” for me. Buggy, I guess

HOOBS running perfectly smoothly for me. I did download their image for the raspberry pi and it just runs and runs. I don't try to use that RPi for anything else. Maybe that has something to do with it?

1 Like

To me, it’s something you wouldn’t notice until you’ve tried both. It’s kinda hard to explain. It just seems “better”

Below the forum search box you should see a checkbox for “search this topic.” Here’s what it looks like on my iPhone:

2 Likes

Found it! Thank you

1 Like

As of a recent update, I think HomeBridge Config UI X will still start (giving you some non-command-line UI to fix things with) if your HomeBridge config is messed up, which used to be one advantage to HOOBS that I could think of (it's corresponding, similar GUI ran entirely separately and would also do the same). I hadn't installed HomeBridge from scratch until recently and was shocked to see that UI X was now part of the default installation instructions and with how much easier that makes it to set up (no more copying and pasting from a text editor or my web browser into nano running via SSH, for one, but also plug-in management and easy monitoring of HomeBridge status and even rudimentary device control should you not want to use actual Home for some reason).

That being said, if you're looking for an out-of-box product and don't want to set anything up on your own, their whole-hardware solution certainly looks appealing (and I don't want to discredit their work as I've seen them accusing some people of doing). Otherwise, "plain" HomeBridge is pretty easy these days, too. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I understand what you’re saying...but I have been using HomeBridge on and off for many years. As @bertabcd1234 mentioned, the process used to be a tedious multi-step process. When I discovered HOOBS a few months ago, and was able to take a RPi with no operating system to a running HomeBridge server in about 15 minutes, I was impressed. Sounds like some others have decided to make the HomeBridge installation process simpler and added a UI. That’s great news. At this time, I am in the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” frame of mind.

Options are a good thing! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yea, basically Homebridge is the same process. One thing I’ve noticed, if you click make backup, hoobs gets stuck a lot, Homebridge doesnt

@dan.t @ogiewon @marktheknife @bertabcd1234 do you see the mistake I’ve made that the switch won’t “hide?”
Thank you

I see your mistake...just put the device id number only. I would use lowercase for the capability (not sure it matters but that's how I see them listed in the readme).
So try:
"excluded_capabilities": {
"97": [
"switch"
]

be sure to restart homebridge or wait until it refreshes (I think the default it 5 minutes)

1 Like

Thanks, but still didn’t work :disappointed:

Have you tried using Dan’s tool https://dantapps.github.io/

Hmmm...maybe try using exclude_attributes instead?
"excluded_attributes" : {
"97" : [ "switch"]

No go :disappointed:

Thx, just did, no go

It’s probably something obvious too, lol. Oh well, I guess it’s fine

I ran an older version of HomeBridge on a Pi for a while, and never had a problem with it. I've been using Unix/Linux since the 1980's, so I have no problem editing text files with vi (vim).

When I tried to install the Maker API plugin on the old HomeBridge Pi, it threw all kinds of warnings that the entire node.js environment was below the minimum needed for the plugin. Rather than risk breaking that setup (which I still needed during the HE transition from Wink) by doing a major upgrade, I decided to spin up HOOBS on another Pi 4 as a Docker instance.

Long story short, I shut down the legacy HomeBridge on Monday evening. HOOBS has been working 100% hands-off, and I'm really liking the Pi + Docker setup to the point where I'm looking at consolidating some of my other physical Pi's around the house into Docker containers on a small Docker Swarm cluster of Pi 4's to centralize everything.....

1 Like