New Caséta fan controller!

Slightly off-topic - what needs to be done so that Google Home/Assistant will recognize the Fan Controller as a Fan and not a Light? Right now I'm using the Lutron Dimmer device and it works fine (other than the speed setting issue in this thread) both in Hubitat and Google Home/Assistant but Google thinks it's a light so if I tell Google to turn off the lights in the bedroom, it turns off the fan, too. Is that something I can fix through configuration?

I have confirmed in the past Google does support "fan" devices, so this should be possible and really should be updated. There is no reason a fan should be displayed as a light, and should have a low-med-high settings instead of a percentage.

The drivers for fan devices should be updated to reflect this. These are basic automation devices and should really reflect the proper device type.

This controller was just released last month. In fact it is still rather difficult to obtain them. I believe the Lutron integration will need to be revised to allow for a device type of Fan. I suspect the Google integration will also need to be revised. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I was overlooking and to put the request in for the update.

The GE fan control switches have been out for years and still are shown as dimmers.

I would like to see the new Caseta Fan Controller be treated within Hubitat in a similar manner as the built-in Hampton Bay Fan Controller. All Fan Controller devices should implement the Fan Control Capability. This would mean adding a new Lutron device type. Doing so would permit the automatic assignment of the "magic decimal level values from Lutron" to prevent the issues with their current firmware.

FanControl

Device Selector

capability.fanControl

Driver Definition

capability "FanControl"

Attributes

speed - ENUM ["low","medium-low","medium","medium-high","high","on","off","auto"]

Commands

setSpeed(fanspeed)

fanspeed required (ENUM) - Fan speed to set

I would probably also retain the current "Switch Level" and "Switch" Capabilities, for backwards compatibility.

If we could get Alexa and Google Home to see these devices as Fans, instead of lights, that would be great too!

6 Likes

We are going to add this. The Caséta fan control does not support speeds "medium-low" or "auto".

4 Likes

Thanks Bruce!

The GH integration needs to be updated to acomodate fans and whatever else they allow now.
It's not the largest of priorities at this time.

Hopefully the Alexa integration will get some love before the GH integration! :grin:

Hopefully not. :smile:

(actually I use both, so whichever)

If I used the interface in Google Assistant or Alexa turn it on and off I might care if the icon wasn’t a fan. But if I have to set up routines to do it, it’s really not a big deal.

I don't care about the icon. My problem is when I tell Google to turn off the lights, it also turns off the fan.

Yeah. I stuck all my fans in a 'dummy room' ("shed") in Google Home because of that.

Of course if I tell google to turn off ALL lights, it will still turn the fans off. But if I just tell it to turn off the lights, it only does the room associated with that particular google home device.

I avoid this by using the room name, for example turn off the living room lights. When I want to shut things down at the end of the night I say good night and that runs a rule that shuts everything down I don’t say turn off all the lights, or anything like that. But that’s just something I’ve been doing this way since the beginning with echo to avoid problems like that. I have virtual switches that do other things, and yeah I don’t want them to be considered lights.

With Alexa you can now define a device as either a lightbulb or a switch. In Google Assistant you cannot. This is Google‘s fault

This solution is working well in the new update, thank you!

It's $54 now...

10 Years ago I put in one of the Meastro Fan and Light controllers with a canopy module. Unfortunately I did not remember that the “Electrician” I had hired 18 years ago to put in a switch for the fan with a neutral wire and ground to the fan had cheated. In the box he ran 14/2, but tied that into the old Knob and Tube from the fan, to somewhere in the wall or ceiling.

So I ended up putting the Meastro controller back in and popped my Caséta fan controller back in its box for now until I can run proper wiring to the fan and light. :rage:

What does Auto do in the HE driver for Caséta Fan if it’s not supported?

Finally corrected the fan wiring. That was a big job! So now I’m just circling back to the configurations that everyone has done.

I want to maybe do different speeds based on temps. What did you do? App or RM? If RM, something fancy with the new RM 3.0 capabilities, or just a rule per temp/speed combinations?