[NEW APP] Room Lighting

We have periods, but they are per room and may overlap. And the times of the periods differ each day. Eg, one night my daughter may go to sleep at 8.15pm, the next not till 9pm because she spent the evening fell running. Let me try to clarify by explaining our use case.

We have 3 bedrooms. In my daughter's bedroom, before she goes to bed, we press the lock button in her room, to lock her light, so that when reading to her, the lights stay on without motion. Afterwards we press the sleep button in her room to transition her bedroom to sleep settings. A kids night-light comes on and stays on all night. In the morning we press the sleep button again to go to normal day settings, and the night-light switches off. These button presses can also be done via Alexa. Similarly with my son's bedroom and our bedroom, but in those rooms, in sleep settings Hue Bloom lights comes on for a set period only when motion is detected. The times the 3 bedrooms lock, sleep or wake differs each day. And during the day we may lock a room's lights when doing an activity with little movement. Also non-bedroom rooms have this lock mode. A lock times out after a set time (the set time depending on the room), to avoid lights being left on unintentionally if forgetting to unlock the room. At 8.15pm or when a kids bedroom is set to sleep, which-ever is earlier, the Hubitat mode "Night kids" is activated, which is used to set lighting levels to dim in the main bathroom and hallways near their rooms. The lock buttons in a room/hallway can be used to override this when necessary.

How would I achieve the above using Room Lights? I don't understand how I can use it to use a button press to transition relevant periods for each bedroom independently.

This came from a question/discussion on FB last night from Frank Ribitch about the desire to override the motion sensor controlling the lighting inside his garage. I worked this a while back and had used Rule Machine to solve it, but the ensuing discussion prompted me to investigate the newer Room Lighting app to solve. Here is what I came up with. May be of use to others:

• Motion sensed from a Zooz ZSE18 motion sensor turns on GE/Jasco Enbrighten Zwave Smart Switch (Garage Inside Lights) for 5 minutes then they shut off if no further motion
  • If you manually press the up (on) button on the Smart Switch, the garage lights turn on if they are not on already, and the motion auto-shutoff is disabled
  • If you manually press the down (off) button on the Smart Switch, the garage lights turn off and the motion sensing is re-enabled.
    Pretty simple but it works, and much cleaner than using Rule Machine.

3 Likes

Help pls? I must be missing something.
I have a switch to turn on a light. I setup a RL to turn the light on if there is motion.
I want to turn OFF the light if motion in other rooms. I looked under 'Means to Turn Off Lights' for 'Motion Active' and don't see it. Isn't that where I should be looking? (to circumvent, I'm using custom attribute which works perfectly fine)

And the drop down offers me:

You found it...

He wants motion active.

What I get for trying to read too fast.

Happens for me even when I read slow.... :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Here's an odd issue. I have a simple setup: turn on the light at level 100 and color temp 2700. But the light turns on at level 45-55 instead (it varies). It changes to this level even if I manually set the lamp to 100 in the device page.

This is the log of the app and just the light:

I'm not sure if it matters, but Dining Room Puzzle Lamp (dev:782) is a Sylvania Zigbee Smart+ BR30 RGBW (75584). It is using the Generic Zigbee RBGW Light device type.

I changed type from CT to Dimmer, and it still didn't work:

If I change the type to switch (manually setting the lamp to level 100 and 2700 color temp), it works as expected and the level doesn't get changed.

But why doesn't setting the level with CT or Dimmer work to turn on the light at level 100?

Good question. I don't know. We can see that the app sends the command, either setColorTemperature in the first case, or setLevel in the second case. But the device acts as if all it sees is 'on'. Maybe @mike.maxwell could look at this. Can you control this light correctly from its device page? Specifically, try this from the device page:

1. set the level of the light to 50.
  2. turn it off.
  3. Put in 2700 and 100 into the setColorTemperature command on the device page, and hit that tile.

What happens? Show the Current States from the device page after those steps.

If I put both those and click setColorTemperature, I get a random level that seems to be in the range 45-55. I set it to 100, turned it off, and then clicked setColorTemperature a few times:

The log shows:
(the Events show the same numbers)

So this has nothing to do with Room Lighting and something weird with this bulb.

What driver and what bulb?

It's something weird in the Generic Zigbee RGBW Light handler. If I switch it to the Advanced Zigbee RGBW Bulb it seems to work as expected.

(although from the logs it looks like even when I do setColorTemperature with 2700,100 and the state shows the bulb is already at those settings, it only turns on the bulb)

Sylvania Zigbee Smart+ BR30 RGBW (75584).

This is to be expected. If the bulb has the right Color Temperature and the right level, then Room Lights would only turn it on to activate it. Make sense?

One thing to do is to be sure that your Room Lights device setting for Color Temperature matches what the bulb actually does. So make it be 2702 instead of 2700. Most CT bulbs don't actually take on every possible value.

I have a weird one and, of course, I don't have the full gambit of logging to figure out what went wrong. For some reason, when the RL instance went active at 12:35, the status did not update to "active" but the lights were on. When motion stopped, the RL instance didn't schedule turning the lights off, I presume since the RL instance was already "off".

Show the app set up page.

Will the RL instance show "not active" until the lights report back? Maybe there was a delay in the table updating that caused the problem. Looking over the logs again, I see that the instance did finally flip to "active" at 12:36:05...almost a full minute after the activation even at 12:35:06. The two events to turn the lights off just happened to come in during that one minute window.

RL Setup

I realized I should have included everything in the logs:

Logs

And the app setup page. Does this have an Activator device?

My bad. It does. Updated the screenshot above.