[NEW APP] Room Lighting

Hi I am working on the upgrade.
I used grups so I can use Alexa to turn them on or off.
Is there way to have a emulted the legacy GROP SWITCH on/off with option as before {Use group device to indicate if any members are off}.

I find no way to do it, becuase I have only a ACTIVATOR at the RL app. But it dose not sync with the group satus.

I wish I can have back again a GROUP SWITCH SYNCRONAZED that is shown OFF STATUS if ANY light is off, and ON SATUS if ALL lights are ON.

Thanks

@bravenel -

The app is turning them on and off as expected. A few seconds after the change, the table shows the "X", despite responding as expected. (FYI, the rule is "On at KidSleep Mode, Off at Sunrise)

Will change to Force and see if there's any difference. Thanks!

All of these options are available. As I said before, simply import the Group-2.1 app, and it will have all of the options. It is called Activator Device in RL, but provides the same functionality. Group status can be selected as indicator:

They may be responding, but they are not reporting. As long as they work properly, don't worry about the X. Force won't change anything if they are responding -- that will not affect whether or not they report.

Is it possible to use the adjust on mode change option when not using the “Use per mode settings”? I use a variable for the level and temperature so that I don’t have to setup each individual mode, but that variable does change when the mode changes.

Not currently. I will look into that.

Are you on the latest build? Your table looks like it didn't render correctly. What browser are you using?

I’m on the latest build. It’s chrome on my iPad, but the table renders correctly in chrome on my surface pro.

One thing to consider when implementing this in the future. If (as it is in my case) the mode change triggers the variable change, the variable may not be updated when the light mode change action is triggered.

I just confirmed this on my system by adding the modes with the same variable in each mode. The light change on mode action happens before the variable change on mode update completes.

Yeah, there would be a race condition...

1 Like

Hey @bravenel, I might need a little guidance getting this right, as I'm not sure I fully understand how to use Scenes harmoniously with Room Lighting.

In the following Room Lighting instance, lights come on with motion to a variable color temperature. Lights should go off after 5 minutes of inactivity.

I have a Scene called Bedroom Bright Mode that has the lights on 100% and 6500K, which I use when there's more light needed in the bedroom. When the Bedroom Bright Mode Scene Activator is on, it should disable the Room Lighting Activation, so the lights will stay bright. When we're done with the bright lights, "Hey Google, turn off the bright mode", and the Scene Activator will restore the previously captured state.

That works fine, but I'm not sure how to get out of it, or get back to the default state. Room Lighting is set to turn off the Scene Activator after 5 minutes, but it doesn't quite work right. This morning they turned on warm, but never picked back up throughout the day with the variable color temperatures, and stayed the same CT all day, despite the Scene Activator being off. They also never turned off. Any guidance is appreciated!

First suggestion: import this Scene into Room Lights.

Second suggestion, instead of using Disable/Enable, just use the state of the Scene Activator as a Condition to Limit Activation.

Seems like you have some sort of race condition possible.

Are you saying to use two Room Lights instances then? Or rebuild the full automation around the imported scene?

At first blush, yes. You have two apps now.

I see - so I could create a Room Lighting Activator Device for the new app, and delete the original scene then.

Is the activator device supposed to automatically turn off? I'm getting odd behavior where it'll only stay on for a second, then turn off.

Did you import the Scene-1.2 app?

Yes, but I had this issue with other Scene 1.2 Activators when I was playing with it yesterday. The activator switch would auto-off after 1s. Then other times it would stay on.

There is no auto-off in these drivers, so you are doing it to yourself somehow. If you have the indicator function turned on, that could make it appear that the activator device is off. But that wouldn't turn off the lights through Room Lights unless you're using the activator as a Means to Turn Off, which you weren't in what you showed above.

Hmm... It appears to be functioning as normal now, however "Restore the lights to the state they were in before activation" doesn't seem to work upon turning it off.

Yeah, there's a bug with restore to prior state. That will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for letting me know.

3 Likes

Hi - I'm looking for general guidance on how to approach a use case. I'm looking to turn on lights in response to motion and in response to a mode change. During all modes except sleep, the lights would turn on full brightness in response to motion, and then turn off after some time.
When the mode changes to sleep, I would like them to go on very dim and with a particular color (smart zigbee lights). In response to motion, they would brighten somewhat and then return to the fully dimmed state after motion stops (with a delay).
Do I need to create two instances of either Room Lighting or Motion lighting? More than two instances? I assume I can't do all of this with one instance of either app.

Thanks,
Michael