[NEW APP] Room Lighting

Just getting back into this. Thanks @bravenel for adding color temp and level variables. Also, I just realized I could have been using Scenes all this time to do the light changes I have been doing. Derp. So now I can literally replace 100% of my lighting rules with a single Room Lighting instance.

Niiiiiice.

New to this app. Set up a garage light to come on with motion or door sensor. Works great!

I would have thought that you could add devices in the room, and have different activators for each light. Looking at the examples, it doesn't appear so; it seems that the Means to activate would apply to all lights in a room. Same with Means to Turn Off.

Is this the case? If only one light in the room is activated off of motion, I cannot have other lights in the room as part of the Room Lighting and activated another way?

Am I correct in this, or missing something fundamental?

Thanks.

EDIT: I think I know the answer. Rooms can be used over and over again different ways?

Two things: First of all, you don't have to use one of your Rooms. You can just select the specific devices you want in each Room Lights app. And yes, you can have as many of them as you want. The lights in each are Activated/Turned Off together.

In my "State" column, I'm getting a red "X" and don't see any mention of it anywhere.

What is it indicating? The light "ice cream" turned on with the activation and turns on and off when I manually click the circle. But after it changes state, it goes back to the "X".

Also, on an unrelated question, is there a way to set the "Turn Off" delay by mode like in Motion Lighting? ie "Turn off after 2 minutes during Sleeping Mode, Turn off after 10 minutes during Day Mode." Thats the one thing I was looking for and couldn't figure out how to do in Room Lighting.

Trying to reproduce a Rule in Room Lighting. I want the office heater and lamp to come on every morning at 0645, but only M-F

I cannot find a way to do this in Room Lighting, just time.
Possible addition?

The X indicates the device didn't respond to the command. Turn on Debug logging to see those responses.

If you click on Set Up Modes... below the table, you can use Modes, and delay per mode:

1 Like

@bravenel -

So the hiccup is that the device is actually responding as expected. I click the X (or red circle) and it turns green and the light turns on. But after a few seconds, the green circle in the dashboard turns into the Red X, even though the light has responded properly. Same with turning it off.

Did you turn on debug logging in Room Lights (not helpful for the device itself)? We need to see what Room Lights sees from the device.

I'm been fighting with the App, and it's great so far, but I wonder if it suits my needs, so i'm searching for help here.

I have 3 lights outside, two of them are on when it's night mode. And the other one "door light" only turns on when it's Night mode and a door contact opens or detects motion...Which should remain ON for 2 minutes. Then the third "door" light should turn off.
I'm struggling to make it works with only Room Lighting App, I managed to turn light 1 and 2 when mode change...but then I don't know if i can activate the "door" when is night and there is motion or contact open.
The only way i find to do it is using Rule Manager for activate light 1, 2 on mode Night and then use Room Lighting to activate and turn off the "door" light...but i'm doing all it by now, just using Rule Manager.

Thanks in advance!

@bravenel - I did turn on the debug logging for Room Lights. This is whats showing up in the logs.

Shows that the lights are being turned on when I turn them on, but not when I turn them off. There are no events listed in the Room Lights events tab.

Different triggers implies 2 different Room Lights, or Room Lights plus Basic Rule, or Room Lights plus RM rule. Room Lights doesn't have IF THEN logic.

That shows only Evan's Bed Lights reporting its state. But it's hard to tell what you're doing to generate those logs. Instead of whatever that is, hit Activate button in the app, then a bit later hit Turn Off button in the app, and post those logs.

I had been toggling the green/red circle to test if the lights were turning on.

At 7pm, "Kids Sleep" Mode turns on, which triggers the activation of Evan's Bed Lights and "Ice Cream" (which is really the other kid's bed lights, but Google Home was giving us a hard time).

Then I manually toggled the red/green circles a few minutes later before turning off the debug logging in the Room Light app. I needed to manually toggle them because there isn't any other expected behavior until the lights turning off at sunrise.

OK, this is very hard to trouble shoot from a distance. You're doing too many things for me to understand what is going on. The logs you have posted are very confusing. If you want my help, you have to do one thing at a time, and post the logs that I ask for -- otherwise it's just not possible to help.

Turn on debug logging again. Turn Off the lights with the app Turn Off button, Clear the logs. Hit the Activate button in the app, and post those logs only.

I am upgrading to this app. But I do not undertand where should I keep my Lights GRUOPS and SCENES. Should I use only this Room Lighting app or only [Groups and Scenes app]

You can import Groups or Scenes into Room Lighting, and they should work the same. After you import one, disable the original on the App Page, Resume the new one, and check it out. See this post:

Sorry, @bravenel. I was trying to capture a log of the app when the Red X appeared.

Here's the log from activating, per your request.

So only two of the 5 lights are reporting. That would explain the Xs in the display.

Is the app not turning them on or off as you would want? If so, use this option:

That will bring up a new column in the table, called Force:

Check the Force box for any light that doesn't report reliably.

Yep, I have noticed, they now have a repeating status, in orange, and restricted, which looks scary but it just means I had a time restriction on one app. I have into really delved into this one yet but the Motion and Mode Lighting app made it real easy to program a recent action as did "Simple" Automation Rules. You can program a whole set of actions all at once.