[NEW APP] Room Lighting

So yeah... it worked fine this morning.

Activate = activate state, not activate light. got it.

1 Like

Another issue I found tonight with a different one.

at 5:13 it shows Turn Off Event: .....

However it never turned any of the lights off. None of these are in a scene. Came home to all the office lights on.

Verified in the devices there was never any off command sent.

Please show the entire setup page not just portions of it. What is the event at 5:13:44? What is z--Office-Lights Activator and why/how did it send an Off Event?

z-RL-Office Lights Activator is the name of the activator device for this app.

At 5:13 I had left the house and part of my routine for that is turning off all the lights. So I turn off the activator.

However none of the lights turned off. This is the events from one of them:

I had basically been in the office working and left. When I came home all the office lights were still on.

1 Like

Add Away to your modes, so that those devices show up for Away. Each one should have the Off column checked. The way it works is that when the turn off events occur, it looks at the table for the then current mode. If there aren't any, it has nothing to turn off.

1 Like

23 posts were split to a new topic: Request for Expanded Functionality in Room Lights

You kind of gave us a fix for this a while back by creating a contact motion app for us. I've been using it ever since.

The new Wiz integration added another possible value to colorMode - "Scene". So when setting up a RL instance Scene is a possible starting value. Unfortunately RL doesn't have Scene as a choice and so isn't able to set the Wiz scene. Is it possible to add the Wiz scenes to RL? If not, you may want to find a way to not show Scene as a starting point in the app.

How did you get to that? Was that from importing a Scene?

No, just setting up a new RL instance and choosing Wiz color bulbs that are currently running a scene. From one of the devices page:

OK, I will look into this.

Would you post a screenshot of the portion of Application State from App Status page that shows the capDevs entry.

Never mind. This will take some sorting out, but needless to say that "Scene" is not a valid value in Room Lights for those devices, and they need to be set to RGB.

Thanks, I get that. But was hoping that you could add the scenes that are part of your new built-in Wiz driver to RL. It would make it a lot simpler to use RL to set Wiz scenes. Maybe you could be an official "works with" partner

I understand. Have to get it sorted out, as presently the Wiz driver isn't offering a command to set the Scene.

It's got the setScene command. My work around is to set up a virtual button device and a Button Controller app that uses custom commands that then get used in a Room Lighting app.

Your device screenshot above does not show that command. Where do you find it? I don't have any of these bulbs.

I see the command in the driver. I was thrown by your screenshot. Did you not show the whole thing?

Correct, that was not the full screen, here is a shot with all the commands.

Thanks. We will get it sorted out for the next release.

1 Like

Question and possible enhancement request. Or maybe there's some other way to do this.

My bedroom lights. Ceiling lights are on a Jasco switch. Table lamps are Hue bulbs. Ceiling lights come on during the day. Lamps come on in the evening and asleep. All of this works fine.

This evening I needed a little extra light, so I turned on the ceiling lights. RL turned them off again. I notice in the Activate Options there's "don't activate if turned off manually."

I think what I need is "don't activate if turned on manually." Any chance of adding this?

There's no way to limit activation via a switch per mode. That also might work. But I don't want to limit activation during the day when I want the ceiling lights to come on.

This is what the Evening and Home (day) modes look like:

1 Like

I will look at this. So, the problem is that RL is turning the light off, that you had turned on, right? At first blush it seems that "Don't turn off if turned on manually" should perhaps apply for a case where Activation means to turn off. Would that work for you?

This is similar to e problem another use had who wanted to be able to turn on a light that was turned off like yours is, and have it come on to preset levels. These are sort of thorny cases. They are understandable -- it's just not obvious (yet?) how best to deal with them.

Update: But, there's an inherent contradiction here. How is the app supposed to know when you want the light turned off, and when not to turn off. You've told it to turn if off. It can't read your mind.

It seems as though, just with the other request, this needs to be handled outside of Room Lights. For example, you could use RM for that one light. It has complex logic to determine what should be done with it. Room Lights doesn't really have that sort of logic.

2 Likes