Nest Integration [Limited Release]

Nest hello, nest thermostat, 5 protects and virtual present device. I'm not sure if I had issues or not but my hub kept stalling and since I have disabled it it's been fine so it suggests it was the problem but other stuff was going on aswell. The only way for me to check would be to re enable it for a week or so but I don't want to move all my automations again right now. I mostly moved as it not being supported currently until nest sorts there stuff out, where as NST manager is.

Wouldn't you be able to use this: Local execution  |  Actions on Google Smart Home  |  Google Developers

to continue hubitat integrations?? It would require talking to google assistant first but I'm doing that anyways as is with current deployment software, and it would maintain local autonomy rather than having to go to cloud for response.

Any updates on the status of Works with Nest and the future of this integration?

As you may know, Google has decided to shut down the "Works with Nest" program, along with the Nest API. They recommend using Google Assistant, instead:

I am indeed aware of that announcement but I have also read in numerous places that they have back peddled on this to some degree as yet to be defined. A number is third parties seem hopeful that they will define a new path for third party integration. Have you heard that as well?

The 'official Nest integration was deprecated and is no longer offered. But there is a user created version called NST Manager. I've been using it for a few months now and it works for me, but your mileage may vary given the wacky nature of the Nest APIs lately.

I would love to see this come back for those us of that still have Nest accounts. It should work just fine until they decide to actually shut it down right?

Unfortunately it would not work. If you didn't have devices authenticated by August 31st, you can no longer authorize new devices, even if you have a developer key.

Yea - I have been playing and I see that now!

So for now, Nest integration to HE is dead, correct? I tried installing the files last night and it brought me to the Nest login, but when I input me userid / password, it just said there was a problem. And since I didn't do this prior to Aug 31, I'm SOL until and unless Google decides to resurrect the program, right?

Correct :frowning:

Depending on your needs, if you are in the iOS ecosystem, there is a HomeKit option that has worked out OK for me. The only pain about it is the 2FA code that has to be fixed every time you need to restart Homebridge, and the volatility of HomeKit automations. Otherwise it’s a good option until Google gets their act together.

1 Like

yea - i was testing this but I really just want to trigger presence - home/away in Nest based on Mode on Hubitat. Which doesn't seem to support in homekit?

I got no devices in homekit (only have cams) so I might have to dig in to figure out whats wrong. I was using the access token.

1 Like

Ah I see. Sorry, I only have Nest Protects, so the presence doesn't do anything for me. HomeKit presence works quite well though, if you have newer iPhones that have the always listening Siri. They seem to not "sleep" so much.

yea - was thinking about homekit route even over hubitat presence - but I need to trigger nest some how still..

going to keep ST up just for that...

So with that integration (assuming you mean your Nest thermostat when you write "trigger"), you should be able to trigger a Nest thermostat with a HomeKit presence detection. We're talking things outside of HE a bit here, but you could trigger a virtual switch at the same time so you would know something happened in HE if you needed that for say Dashboard or something like that.

Of course, this all assumes you have an iPad that can run the latest iOS, an Apple TV 4 or later, or a HomePod so you can run HomeKit automations. You'll find the automations in the Apple Home app (even in iOS 13.1) are still fairly limited, but if you run the Eve app (free) you can create "Rules" which take HomeKit automations a bit further and will allow things like temperature based triggers which don't show up in the Home app.

I dont have an Nest Thermostat :confused:

I just use Cams

I only have Wyze cams. What is it you’re triggering? Recording, or ON/OFF, or something else?

Home/Away - which is probably the same thing the thermostat is using. The notifications I get are based on the home/away status.

Maybe it didn't auth right and thats why nothing is showing in home kit.

Sometimes I wish we could accessing the configuration via cloud connection. Having to wait until I am home to tinker is annoying lol

You can setup a VPN and access that way, or you can leave a computer on at home with a Teamviewer connection. The latter is how I do it. I have a MacBook Pro always running becuase that's where my Homebridge, Google Assistant Relay, Insteon Server, and CastWeb API live. So I just remote in and launch a web browser. Teamviewer for private use is totally free.

1 Like