Nest Developer access now live

I'm already able to hit REST endpoints to adjust my thermostats. So far, so good; And looks like, at the very least, a functional replacement for what was deprecated earlier this year.

I'm going to continue playing around. It seems like you can subscribe to events, which is what I'm really curious about.

3 Likes

When you're ready for beta testers, I'm ready!

Nest Thermostat (with 3 temp sensors), 2 Hubs, 1 Max Hub, Outdoor Cam and Hello Doorbell. Also have 3 protects but I know they are not included in this release.

:grin:

2 Likes

I'm probably a little while away from beta testers, lol. Right now it's just curl/postman and no actual code written. I'll probably get a node sandbox setup to iron out the API call structure, and hopefully it won't take too much work to port it over to HE.

What I really want to figure out is how to subscribe to events so I can avoid polling the thermostats for updates.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Well this is promising. Any employees want to comment?

It looks like even though one of the pictures shows a nest protect, they aren’t covered by the program yet/ever?

I signed up...i have no idea what to do with it...but rather have it than not at this point...

1 Like

This is google’s take on what nest had back in the day “nest developer program” and allowed backdoor to adopt nest into smartthings. After google took over nest, it started converting “nest accounts” into google accounts. I was one unlucky person who did that and lost my oauth to my nest thermostat after account conversion.

Thank you for posting this @dvan

Now i just gotta figure out how to do this for hubitat.

1 Like

Reading through the getting started guide it doesn’t seem like this will be particularly easy to setup but will give us a level of integration slightly more then we had before. I am particularly intrigued by images and video streams from the cameras.

Not that I trust Google/Nest, but that is a one time fee if I read it correctly? Not an ongoing thing?

That might make it worth it for some people.

I think the $5 fee is just a deterrent to keep the masses from signing up for an account that most would never end up using.

2 Likes

yep.. and getting someone's credit card on file to have some accountability if the API key gets misused somehow.

I'm assuming that $5 fee is just for the developer who wants to get an API key.. not for everyone who wants to add this driver if/when done..

Seriously :rage: why what's the point! What else is it going to be use for?

My guess is that if a user wants to use an unofficial Google Nest integration, like a community developed one, then the $5 fee will apply.

However, if a company like Hubitat develops a commercial, approved-by-Google integration, then there would be no $5 fee for end users.

Waiting for Google is like waiting for a 19th century steam locomotive. You don't know where it is, you don't know if it's still running, and if eventually gets there, you don't know how far it can take you.

If you're an iOS/HomeKit user, I highly recommend this method. It's worked for me for over a year now, with only a few minor changes when Google revised the connection method.

Nuts, that's a real shame it doesn't include the Protects. I'll hold on to my $5 for the time being as they're the only Nest device I use. It's tricky to find interlinked, battery-powered smoke and CO detectors (or it was 10 years ago when I bought the Protects, which are pretty close to expiring now).

1 Like

Anybody figure out how to connect through Groovy yet... :man_shrugging: :wink:

1 Like

I've been thinking about it all day. Whats holding me back is the thought that once I get something clunky working someone who knows what they are doing is going to post something good. Lol.

3 Likes

Btw google cloud is down

Nope, and they still don't let you set the humidistat setting.

That alone was my reason for getting a Nest originally (using an unofficial API to adjust). When they made the unofficial API continually break, I switched to Ecobee and haven't been happier with my thermostat/humidistat setup.