Nest Developer access now live

I'm probably an outlier but I'm not sure how I'll use this integration. I use Hubitat for automations and I use Google Home for manual controls. So I need Google Home to see Hubitat but I'm not sure I need Hubitat to see Google Home. I would like to use the presence capability of the Nest devices in Hubitat automations, but that doesn't appear to be something that gets exposed. That said I did fork over the 5$$ to play around with it.

I'm in the same boat.. but, I've already got 3 Nest thermostats and no plans on replacing them. And at least it seems like the API would work just fine to manage them today

I wonder though how easy/fast it is to become a 'partner' to be able to use this outside of the sandbox?

I'd like to be able to see/control my 3 Nest thermostats on my dashboard. I don't change them too often so more for viewing the current temp.

I'm also curious about the doorbell camera.. if I could view a livestream on my dashboard that might be worth getting one.. although i'm unsure if it'd work w/out paying the monthly fee (which is why I don't have a doorbell camera yet)

Same. Google has proven to be untrustworthy in their hardware and device support for everything other than the vanilla Chromecast.

They even killed the Chromecast Audio that was widely used in whole home audio setups.

I'm voting with my wallet when it comes to google/nest hardware.

I'll do without before I'll buy a nest product.

3 Likes

Yeah, I'm probably an outlier. The doorbell cam would be a question mark, you can use it with out a fee and get livestreaming but would the API require the monthly fee to expose that to other devices?

I'd like to be able to turn a camera on or off. But I don't see that in the API unless i'm missing it. At least I can now integrate the doorbell into HE tho!

The thing I find somewhat pathetic with this, is the lack of support (still) for 3rd gen hot water support :cry:

God if i could get nest integrated into HE i would die happy. I really want to use all the temp sensors in my house as remote sensors for nest. i have two thermostats i would want to integrate.

Your comment reminded me of when I had an ecobee4 and kept wishing they would eventually get their servers fixed to where there weren't outages every other week. Finally bit the bullet and cut the bounding chains from cloud devices and went with a zigbee thermostat and now use all the temp sensors in the house to control it, never been happier and would highly recommend to everyone to ditch the cloud devices.

2 Likes

Yeah i certainly have thought about doing that.

But I don't think Google's integration will let you do that directly anyway. Ib looked through the options yesterday and didn't see any way to do that / any way to make a virtual temp sensor.

And if you are going to use an external program to adjust/fudge the setpoint to force that to happen... Well, you don't need nest at all, and should get a regular zwave or zigbee thermostat.

But to your point... You should be able to assist the thermostat node and setpoint with Google's integration. So if that is good enough for your needs, then you should be able to get there.

1 Like

This was all I really wanted. Google disappoints again... [sigh]

3 Likes

100%

it may or may not last. For now if it'll let me react to motion events from my one nestcam my wife thought was a good idea to buy me ill be happy to actually get some use out of it.

Just got an email that google has finally opened up third party integrations to nest devices. (After having shut them down a little while back)

Here's a link with more info. I don't have a ton of time to write a thermostat integration app, but I might try to get started over the weekend.

Looking forward to seeing what the HE dev community can do!

1 Like

I've paid my $5. And ready! :grin::roll_eyes::blush:

3 Likes

I can't find where to sign up?

Try this:

https://developers.google.com/nest/device-access/registration

1 Like

I would die happy if i could finally integrate nest.

1 Like

It all looks one-way. I'd have liked to be able to push stuff onto the Nest Hub or recorded messages out of the cameras etc