Nest Developer access now live

Not that I trust Google/Nest, but that is a one time fee if I read it correctly? Not an ongoing thing?

That might make it worth it for some people.

I think the $5 fee is just a deterrent to keep the masses from signing up for an account that most would never end up using.

2 Likes

yep.. and getting someone's credit card on file to have some accountability if the API key gets misused somehow.

I'm assuming that $5 fee is just for the developer who wants to get an API key.. not for everyone who wants to add this driver if/when done..

Seriously :rage: why what's the point! What else is it going to be use for?

My guess is that if a user wants to use an unofficial Google Nest integration, like a community developed one, then the $5 fee will apply.

However, if a company like Hubitat develops a commercial, approved-by-Google integration, then there would be no $5 fee for end users.

Waiting for Google is like waiting for a 19th century steam locomotive. You don't know where it is, you don't know if it's still running, and if eventually gets there, you don't know how far it can take you.

If you're an iOS/HomeKit user, I highly recommend this method. It's worked for me for over a year now, with only a few minor changes when Google revised the connection method.

Nuts, that's a real shame it doesn't include the Protects. I'll hold on to my $5 for the time being as they're the only Nest device I use. It's tricky to find interlinked, battery-powered smoke and CO detectors (or it was 10 years ago when I bought the Protects, which are pretty close to expiring now).

1 Like

Anybody figure out how to connect through Groovy yet... :man_shrugging: :wink:

1 Like

I've been thinking about it all day. Whats holding me back is the thought that once I get something clunky working someone who knows what they are doing is going to post something good. Lol.

3 Likes

Btw google cloud is down

Nope, and they still don't let you set the humidistat setting.

That alone was my reason for getting a Nest originally (using an unofficial API to adjust). When they made the unofficial API continually break, I switched to Ecobee and haven't been happier with my thermostat/humidistat setup.

It's not too tricky anymore, new code requirements for new construction strongly recommend the smoke detectors to be linked so that they all go off at the same time (it's not a requirement... yet). So there are a tone of manufacturers out there that have interconnected alarms..

That said.,... they all suck.. honestly, the Nest Protect is probably the best one out there. I have 4 of them, and I really hated when Google bought Nest....

Will anyone fess up to working on an integration yet?

I think many, like myself, abandoned Nest a while ago, when Google shut down the Works With Nest program. They should have allowed for an overlap period to encourage migration instead of an exodus. :wink:

2 Likes

That’s fair but it’s really to large of a platform for hubitat to ignore it.

I never implied it was being ignored by Hubitat... Just that the community devs might not be too excited to work on it if they no longer have Nest devices. I switched to Ecobee and am much happier with the comfort level of my home.

I'd love to get the video streams working. I've been poking around in the API documentation and think I've confused myself more than anything. Going to call a programmer buddy and see if he can take a look.

Really? It is in the UK has been for years

It is a LOCAL code requirement in many, many places in the US. So many, in fact, I wasn't aware that it wasn't a national code requirement...

2 Likes

Yeah, as @BorrisTheCat mentions, in the UK it's been a requirement since the early nineties at least for houses of more than two stories, IIRC. In my place they achieved this by cabling all the smoke detectors together, but they didn't bring a mains supply to any of them! :roll_eyes:

Instead, they went with battery operated units, all of which were completely useless by the time we moved in. They were a big name brand, but when we got in touch they hadn't produced that model for years. Nobody else made a battery-powered, wired-interconnect detector and the only one that got close was the Protect with the wireless interconnect.

I suppose I could have pulled cable from the lighting circuit, but we'd just had all the ceilings and floors done. :man_shrugging:

:joy:

They're stupidly expensive (and had some issues in the early days) but they've always worked for me. And the little pathfinder light is way more useful than I'd expected, even if it's a half acknowledgement that Google likely know my family's sleeping patterns, when the house is occupied and whether the dog needed to go out in the night.

2 Likes