[MyQ] He's dead, Jim

Guessing that they think that all the people using the API with unauthorized apps will switch over and pay to use the MyQ subscription (I have no idea how it costs). Maybe when they realize that no one actually subscribed after the change, they will open it??? Most likely not.

1 Like

:person_shrugging: I really don't have a horse in this race. I own a Chamberlain garage door opener because it came with the house, and I think its actually quite nice. Quiet, smooth and has good features. When it dies (if that occurs before I do) then I'll be looking at their Jackshaft openers so I can regain that ceiling space in my garage for another kayak.

6 Likes

I have one of these and LOVE it for the exact reason you stated (except I don't kayak).

2 Likes

I just put two new openers in my garages, I wish I had known about these. I definitely would have seen about getting one.

1 Like

I will most likely buy a jackshaft opener in 2 years when the new house will be built and will probably have to go with the Chamberlan or LiftMaster because that's pretty much the only ones on the market. But who knows what will happen in two years? One thing is for sure is that I will not be getting MyQ :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Bonus points on this one because it actually bridges multiple generations. (Q from TNG and the most recent season of Picard,.... and the obvious classic)

1 Like

I agree, Dr Who was one of the better characters in Star Wars.

2 Likes

Better than Dr. Spock, though?

Good luck with that. Only their lowest models don't have MyQ. Obviously you don't have to use it. But the app is actually OK these days.

1 Like

FWIW, they're the same company ....

1 Like

Angry Sign Language GIF by ConnectHearOfficial

Ya I know, reason why I mentioned both brands (that have MyQ). And pretty much the only one with Jackshaft openers that are compact and don't use an external chain etc. like you see in commercial settings.

1 Like

Must have missed chatter about this - has life360 hinted at this somehow?

They have not, AFAIK... But I posted this earlier in the L360+ thread (along with a recommendation to start packing a spare chute).

Time will tell!

2 Likes

So this is what's going on with HA... They don't have a solution either. They do seem to have more detail though

3 Likes

Not directly. But they have moved a bunch of their cloud backend, and had some transitory breaking changes in that process.

One could assume they moved around the backend for cost savings/restructuring.

One could just as easy assume they moved around their backend in preparation for making a pay to use model...

With a lot of people slamming Life360's cloud servers with high frequency refresh requests that their backend was never designed for, it is only a matter of time (my OPINION) before they Cry Uncle and have to do something about the reverse engineered access...

3 Likes

Similar.
Go local. Works with any garage door.
I went with a Zooz Zen16 relay, Aeotec/Smarthing Content sensor which has a title mode (and temp), and this app instead of the Zooz one. [Release] Garage Door Opener App - LGK Virtual Garage Door - #119 by SoundersDude

Can't remember why, but this app worked better for me vs the Zooz version.

Interesting article about MyQ with some alternatives:

3 Likes

I just purchased two of these units from Konnected as a possible solution, will update once I get them delivered and installed.

1 Like

@aaron.robinson
Looks promising
Yes keep us updated. Im interested