[Release] Garage Door Opener App - LGK Virtual Garage Door

Installed this today via HPM working with a Zooz Zen16 MultiRelay and a Aeotec SmartThings Sensor... working perfectly. Really appreciate the notifications!

@kahn-hubitat - Have you considered starting a new thread where you announce this release? I'd be happy to document the setup steps and virtual driver needed for it.

It took me a while to find this thread and your code, and knowing I could find it in HPM.

There is no real new release.. i gues i could start a new thread.. but this is basically the thread.

1 Like

Maybe change the title to add [Release] to it? Maybe also change the category to: “Custom Apps and Drivers -> Custom Apps”? You should be able to do this, and I can help if you’d like me to.

Go ahead or change me to the owner of the post.. you can change it as ambassador ... I cannot..
thanks.

1 Like

Done. I cannot make you the owner of the thread though… You’d have to create a new one for that…

In an effort to help others, here are the steps I took to make this app work great for me;

1. Created a New Virtual Device using the Type: Virtual Garage Door Controller, I called it "Garage Door Opener".

2. Installed this great app and configured it as so;
    Where the first is the Zooz MultiRelay child I'm using.
    The second is the SmartThings Contact Sensor in garage mode I have on my garage door
    And the last two are the virtual device I created in step1.

3. I then opened/closed my door an counted to see how long it took before deciding what value to put in the check timeout.

4. Added a tile to my dashboard, when selecting the virtual device, make sure you select Garage (Control) as the template type.

Working perfectly!

Step one was the big miss for me in the beginning, as was how to get the tile to work in Step 4.

I hope this is helpful to others

3 Likes

I'm using this and it works ok..

the problem I see, and I saw some mention of it, but not sure of a resolution.

If I hit the button to open it for example, it opens the garge and shows that the garage is now opened.

but if I open the garage , and it gets stuck or perhaps the switch does not fire, in a few seconds it still says open, even if the sensor does not report that.

example. I closed the garage, it started to close, detected something in the way, re-opened, and the title shows as closed. but the sensor and personally i see it as open.

I can't seem to find a garage door app that really works in this fashion. any suggestions?

edit: seems like an open issue?

Yes, the “Door Operation Check Timeout” feature is there for those situations you mention.

yea, I have that set.. I am looking at both the sensor and the door.. the door shows closed.. the sensor changed about 3 seconds after.

just to make sure I got it right

Swich/relay is my Zwave dry switch
Sensor is - my Contact sensor.

the Virtual Garage door, and door sensor are the the same "Virtual Garage Door Controller"

and its set to 30 seconds.

I don’t use a tilt sensor, I found them unreliable, instead I use a heavy duty door sensor.

Possible. but thats a moot issue, my Tilt sensor is working, and I can visually confirm the door is open or closed, and the sensor reports exactly what I am seeing. but if the sensor shows open because the obstruction blocked the garage and it returned to open. the app shows the door somehow is closed.

Ok, that is odd. I’d suggest trying something like the Fibaro Smart Implant, it’s a better solution for controlling garage doors and can be mounted directly to the motor and be powered by it.

It also offers a staggering amount of control over all the key items. Eg

Btw, if your door is getting stuck but everything mechanically checks out, have you tried turning up the “force” option in your motor?

Perhaps I am misunderstood.

I did a test. just to make sure that all Scenario are working.

I use the app to close the garage. I blocked the garage on perpose so it would auto retract back up.

example. if a kid left his toy, and the garage closed, and hit the toy, it would automatically detect the toy, and go back up. this is a safety feature built into all garage doors since prob the 1980's?

with that being said, the contact sensor or tilt sensor would obviously tell me the door is still open. but the App insists that the door is closed.

when I close the door with the app, it shows within seconds that the tile is green and door is closed, but the contact sensor has yet to register.

possibly i am being impatient, and have to wait a little longer and it will go back from green to red.

I will have to test that tomorrow when I can.

Hmm, ok I think I get what you are saying.

Try reducing the time out from 30 to 15 seconds and and see if that makes a difference? It’s never going to be instant, but a shorter timeout might help.

The one thing I wish this application could do is be able to flash lights or play sound as it closes. Other than that, the application works pretty good. I'm settled for 20 seconds before the door is determined to be closed.

Hey whatta want for free. I could add a light to flaah pretty easily

1 Like

Yeah, just some sort of automation notification that the door is closing. This is one of the big things when I switched over from MyQ. Just something where if it's an automated close, it notifies that it's going to close in a certain period of time. I did cobble something together but it's not graceful and it doesn't work under all conditions.

what would the parameters be.. blink on/of time? and number of blinks before starting to close

assume you dont need it for open?

Exactly, only for closing blink 4 or 5 times then start to close.

ok send donation to kahn@lgk.co paypal :wink:

new version in git hub and package manager with following options.. it only kicks in if you use close from the virtual door not the actual relay.. also make sure to increase your timeout check based on how many light flashes and delays between each.

1 Like