My Hub keeps crashing, I don't have any custom apps

Sorry for the troubles. Please check your private message, I followed up with some details.

3 Likes

I to have been having crashes since the last update last week. However, if you have no response from the hub how are you supposed to do a backup if you can't get into the hub? The only way is to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to come back online.

Jan 15th for the public Edge to switch. Chromium only on Dev/Beta/Canary release for now.

1 Like

There's an automatic database backup made each day. You can restore from the most recent.

While it's a nice sentiment, but it's not always possible. Most of the time when my hub becomes unresponsive, 8081 is not available.

Get the Chromium version, it's awesome.

No reason to flag this comment. This community is going to the pansies, lately. SmartHomePrimer is one of the more helpful members of this community. Show some respect.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't play nice with HTML standards, therefore neither Edge nor Internet Explorer are supported browsers at this time. We recommend Google Chrome for best experience, but there are other browsers that Hubitat Elevation supports:

1 Like

The new Edge release candidate built on Chromium is now available. Microsoft is going to retire IE and the current non-compliant Edge browser very soon.

3 Likes

I appreciate your response. I had assumed it was an Edge problem. Maybe the chromium version will behave once it’s ready for prime time. In the mean time it’s good to know that Firefox is a supported option.

I couldn’t log in to the community with the latest beta. Some sort of JavaScript error if I am remembering correctly. Probably best to steer clear of using with HE until it’s official.

So I did the database rebuild as per the post at the beginning and my hub lasted a day without crashing. I haven't added anything new or any different apps that were running. It is ever since the last two upgrades that the hub is crashing every other day.

It does work after all. I hadn’t looked at the settings, and it must default to not allow cookies. I changed that and logged in without issue.

1 Like

Hub has been freezing a lot lately. I can't do a soft reset because it gives me an error status code 401. Now what do I do?

@pcgirl support@hubitat.com is your best bet now.

You can fix the 401 error easily yourself if you want to try another soft reset. Go to hub http://hubip:8081 , click log off and then log in again and try the soft reset. The 401 means that your login expired

1 Like

Since has done earlier resets I still think she should try support.

1 Like

Hubitat replaced my hub, which is when I discovered a "restore" doesn't rebuild the z-wave network, so I'd be forced to manually exclude and add back every single z-wave device, even with a backup. Prior to starting this work, I plugged the new virgin hub into my network, and a few hours later, the new hub with no z-wave devices, essentially doing nothing, crashed and became unresponsive on my network, inaccessible from the web interface.

So Black Friday came around, I purchased an Eero Router system for my home (3 wired Eero Pro's, and 4 Eero Beacons) to replace my original router setup (1 Airport Time Capsule, and 3 wired Airport Extremes as extenders). With the Eero setup my original Hubitat Elevation device hasn't crashed once, nearly 3 weeks of uptime. I contacted Hubitat technical support about a Week ago, but they never responded to this discovery.

So Hubitat pushed an update which bricked their device on certain types of legacy routers / networks, namely Apple, didn't realize it, and isn't interested in troubleshooting it. Life moves on, my Hub is back online, although after about two weeks my Amazon Echo connector crashed, forcing a reboot, the hub itself hasn't crashed once with the Eero mesh router system.

3 Likes

I'm sorry to say, but I'm really glad you had this issue, because I think I'm in the same boat. I've been struggling with the exact problem set you've described above. I have a C7 that started locking up almost hourly a few days ago (after running flawlessly for 9 days straight following the v.145 update).

I have ~70 Zwave devices, 3 Zigbee, and no LAN devices. No integration with any cloud services other than what HE provides from the mobile app... so I have even less LAN interaction with my hub than it sounds like you did. I also have different network equipment from the sounds of it (Asus router, netgear unmanaged switches). I'm going to plug the HE into another switch to see if the issues go away... I had changed ports on the same switch, but have not changed out the switch outright (unmanaged Netgear 5 port).

The only oddity is timing of the issue beginning... yours sounds like it lined up with an update, mine doesn't.

You can roll back firmware if you think another is more stable. But you shouldn't be having lockups.

Do you have lots of power reporting devices? Those if misconfigured can take down an otherwise healthy hub.

The other thing you probably should look for is ghost devices in the Zwave menu. I don't have a C7, but I think that the last column will be blank I think?

Yup - that is one of the key symptoms. No routing in the last column.

When the issue first started, I was on v.145 (had been for 9 days straight, no reboots, rock solid). Once the lock ups started, I eventually did get to a point where I was getting stuck at blue light. I performed a soft reset at that time and reverted back to v.142. While that got me back to green light, the roughly hourly freezing persisted.

I believe I only have a few devices that report power (and I think they're all Aeon / Aeotec outlets, but I'm using the Generic Z-wave smart dimmer driver... not sure if they're actually reporting with that, I'll need to double check). I can confirm that the logs have been less than helpful in troubleshooting... nothing obvious stands out, no errors outside of the other known Z-wave inclusion issues, but I have had little issue in that space thankfully.

I do have two lingering ghost devices that I have been unable to remove. I've attempted the recommended steps by others but can't seem to shake those two (I had more previously, I think my highest total was 5 at one point). Those two have persisted since I was done migrating all of my devices over from ST, so I assumed they were similar to what others have been seeing with the C7s. The remaining two could absolutely be a part of the issue, but I believe I've exhausted my options there short of a hard reset, which I'd rather not do just yet.

Its far too early to celebrate, but I moved my C7 to a different switch roughly 3.5 hours ago, and haven't had a lock up... that's a record since the issue started. If I get to 24 hours, I'll move it back to the original switch to see what happens.