Moen flo virtual device

Has anyone seen code for a virtual integration of the Moen flo water sensor and controller?
It's a great new device that monitors the flow thru it and can sense leaks as small as 1 drop per day. It learns your normal usage and can notify and shut off the water if it senses something unusual. Seems like next step up from placing water sensors everywhere. Be nice to control it from Hubitat.

1 Like

What type of external controls are available? Is there an API? It sounds like a pretty self-sufficient device to me.

There's a smartphone app that can
1)turn the water on or off
2)Run a leak check

The unit provides the following data to the smart phone
1)Pressure,
2)Temp
3)flow
4)potential leak warnings.

Okay. And does the system have an open API or is it only accessible from their app?
Personally, I don't want Hubitat turning my water on or off....too unpredictable. Plus, how would you automate when you're going to need the water on?

Moen Flo support IFTTT:

Create applets that are triggered by critical alerts, warning alerts, and info alerts.
Turn on or off your home's water through your Flo by Moen device by using Flo in your applets.
Change your Flo by Moen device to home, away, or sleep mode through IFTTT applets.

Since Hubitat supports IFTTT, this would be the way to integrate since API doesn't appear to be public.

Flow isn’t new, but their partnership with Moen is. It’s one of those really well thought out devices that should really be left to handle the situation itself and just notify you. As mentioned, there’s an IFTTT channel. I would suggest not trying to control a device that is in total control of what it needs to be.

You may lose their guarantee if you override anything and there’s damage as a result that the system could have prevented if left to do its job the way it was designed to.

1 Like

I too want this integration.

• Ability to alert via more than just the app (blink lights)
  • Ability to turn water off via leak sensors. Flo waits until water has run for longer than a shower which is a ton of water that can be avoided with strategic leak sensors.

Both of these things can be done with ifttt, native is cleaner, more reliable etc.

They also have some sensors that integrate now. I would be nice to be able to pull that data in HE. Any options other than IFTTT?

I have went round and round with Moen about this. At first they said they were working on it then they stopped answering my polite requests for access to the API. Now they have released their own water sensors and are not supporting anything else. Without a water sensor you can get serious damage before their device shuts off because of long flow time.
I gave up and bought a Dome, so I have both on my main. Overkill but I don't want another flood.
Avoid Flo until they embrace the community.

1 Like

That is pretty annoying. I guess cross that off my list of things I want.

The data is forwarded to their website and they give you a tiny bit of access, but to see categories of water use (which is haphazard at best) and reports, they require a subscription that costs $5 a month. The only factor they use to shut off the water is how long it is running, unless you buy they additional water sensors. Without them they send a warning after 15 minutes of water running and it cuts off the water after 5 more minutes. So, the water will run for 20 minutes before shut off, which will cause a HUGE amount of damage if it is an actual leak. I suggested a drain sensor to detect water going down the drain, which indicates the use is safe. If the water is running and not going down the drain it could signal a possible problem. I offered to develop it and they then stopped answering me. I suggest a different solution such as the Dome valve, which I am now using with Samsung sensors.

I bought one of these as part of an unplanned re-pipe last month (as insurance against another slow leak) and have been using the IFTTT integration. I was semi-ok with the IFTTT integration, but it was not as smooth as the Dome valve that I had for responding to alerts from the leak sensors I already had. Then Moen emailed me last week that they were discontinuing the IFTTT integration.

After looking at the web app, it appears that the Flo uses a straightforward REST API for control (but possibly Firebase for the realtime data). I cobbled together a basic driver that replaces the IFTTT capabilities (update valve state, set the device mode).

It's my first Hubitat driver, so if anyone is interested in helping me test it... let me know.

It's available here: GitHub - dacmanj/hubitat-moenflo

(Import URL: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dacmanj/hubitat-moenflo/master/moenflo.groovy)

David

6 Likes

I will give it a try. This is perfect timing as I recently got an email form Moen that they are discontinuing IFTT integration.

Installed and connected. It is pulling data, but so far when I tell it to close, it does not obey.

Did you populate the device id from Flo - My Account?

I did. Right next to the link to view the QR code correct? It sees the data, such as temp, psi and flow rate

Yes, that's where it is. Also, just remembered that I made it required, so of course you did. Anything in the logs when you click close? Does changing the mode work (home/away/sleep)?

Do you see device_id, user_id, location_id, encryptedPassword and token in the Device Details?

I added a debug logging option in GitHub if you want to update to that version and turn on debug logging it should show more of what it's doing. The mode changes should return code 204 and the valve updates and polling requests should return 200.

Thank you. I will look at it tomorrow. I appreciate your responsiveness.

Here is what I get:

alve Update Exception: groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Forbidden