Water pressure monitor?

I would like to monitor the water pressure in my home and add the data to my HE environment. In doing a quick search of support topics I did not find any related to water pressure monitoring.

Does anyone know of a water pressure monitor I can integrate into my system?

Many thanks,
Barry

I use a "Flo by Moen". It has some community support, but I just let it do it's thing and notify me if there are issues. I do not have it integrated into HE at this point. It does have some nice readings internally, and IFTT support for integration if required.

After installing a warrantee replacement unit, thinking the 1st unit was faulty, I can tell you over tightening the unit will stop the 'turbine' from spinning and not give you GPM readings. Do not over tightening.

1 Like

My guess from all I've seen is you will need a home grown solution. There are a number of options I can think of:

The simplest would be an existing Zigbee or Z-Wave device capable of reading an analog signal + a pressure sensor Maybe this sensor although for the cost I wouldn't expect much in terms of accuracy and repeatability.

That is what I was thinking. Though I wasn't aware the Moen system did that, so thanks @TechMedX .

1 Like

For those interested here are a couple screen shots. I turned the water on so that flow rate is with a kitchen faucet open. The "ON" button at the bottom of #1 can be used to quickly shut off all water. It also shut the water off for me once when a sprinkler was left running for hours (bad reception at the timer, fixed.)

It's not cheep, good tech rarely is. However the ROI is priceless, IMO. Living in a house, on a well, that didn't have proper filtration for year (previous owners) we have already had one 'pin hole' open up. Thankfully it was in an area of the basement that could get wet.

After that I decided a device that could monitor "flow rate" would be able to spot leaks, well before we ever could. I hope it never happens, but when traveling it is nice to know I can shut my water off at anytime, from anywhere, if needed to. Coupled with the automatic shut off for "unusual activity" it's reassuring. 'Someday' I will integrate it into my system to trigger shut offs with wet/dry sensors for even quicker response time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response, I looked at the Moen and I don't see where it will show me the static pressure in the water line, which is what I am after. Some of the other responses suggest a more home grown solution and that may be my future.

Nice to know that you (all) are out there for support to those of us who are just beginning our Hubitat experience.

Thanks again,
Barry

Is that not what the 51.4 PSI is? My water pressure (set by the air pressure of the bladder) fluctuates between 40 PSI (low - pull water from well), and 60 PSI (full - turn of pump to well). Unless I'm missing something?

3 Likes

The above picture was during use. When off the pressure was sitting at about 55PSI. In the past 2 hours, due to usage, my water pressure has dropped to 52.9 PSI. During my last flush (TMI?) the pressure dropped to 49.8 while filling, and then stabilized at the now current 52.3. Not sure how much more detailed pressure info you could get/want out of a unit.

FYI - the app needs love, and they do update it from time to time. I have recently noticed (even during these tests) that after not using the app for a while, and reopening, the display gauges do not update. I have to fully close the app and reopen it before they are current/moving. This dose not effect long term reporting/alerts. I think it is an app 'sleeping' issue, but I'm not a dev so that is a complete guess. It was not always this way, so it's likely to be fixed.

2 Likes

If you start to consider a home grown, look at the Haas Zigbee board. It has built in A/D that it will send to Hubitat.

I've already used them for 3 different sensors.

John

Hi and my sincere apologies for missing the pressure indication on the first set of pictures. I did visit the vendor site and was hoping to find specs, but it was mostly sales info with very limited technical data. If I understand your situation correctly, the Moen unit operates in a stand alone mode and not integrated with your HE system. My interest in strictly in monitoring the water pressure in our city delivered water system and to know when it drops below a comfortable level. This happens all too often here due mostly to broken water lines and the way we traditionally find out, is when you turn the tap and nothing comes out. Again thanks for taking the time to respond.
Barry

1 Like

thank you John, I will take a look.

Barry

FYI - they do send low pressure warnings (below, usually while I am changing filters) but only under 20 and over 150. If that is all you need, it might be overkill, but it would work

modbus programmable controllers with a lot of I/O (digital and analogic). You can hook pressure sensors, temperature sensors, add water counters, add relays, etc. It features a TCP/IP port, so you can reach it through Node-Red on a Raspberry, a pc or even a NAS, then hubitat.
Industrial build. Low price and useful as a multiple I/O board.

https://www.barix.com/devices/barionet/barionet-100/
same kind of device, with a nice add: Dallas 1-wire (DS18B20 sensors) for wired long range temperature sensors

Arduino and 1 water pressure could be the solution too

Thank you Mike. Interesting gadget and certainly would support a 0-5v analog pressure sensor. However, in giving this project more thought, I think I am biting off much more than I can chew. I think after finding a way to communicate with the pressure sensor and receiving the raw data, I still have to create a way to convert that data into something calibrated to derive the pressure in the water line. Thus, I will keep an eye out for more of an off the shelf solution that is affordable, which may be an oxymoron. Your suggestion is really appreciated.
Barry

Not trying to oversell but I though it might help if you had more complete information.

If you purchased a Haas Board
And a A pressure transducer

And a 5V charger with a micro USB connector (same as for cell phones)

And a box of some sort.

That is literally all you need.

Now if you are serious about going for a home grown I have an extra pressure transducer (think automotive quality, much better that the eBay one) you can have for the cost of shipping. However I would appreciate it if you wouldn't take the transducer just because it is offered. If comes calibrated to 3% and if you know the 5v supply voltage It will be tighter that that.

John

Sorry for the silence. I've been involved in something that takes more time that I have to give.

One mystery is still in my head: How does the analog voltage (current?) from the transducer become displayed in the Hubitat as X lb per square inch? Is there a conversion table somewhere that provides these values?

Many thanks,
Barry

It probably would have helped if you could read the chart.

So the output of the transducer is
%Vs = 0.6061* Pressure (psi)
If Vs = 5v
Vanalog = 5 * %Vs
Vanalog =5v * 0.6061* Pressure (psi)

Vanalog = Vin (by connecting the transducer to a analog input pin)

The arduino input is
counts = Vin / 5v * 1024counts
and Vin = 5v * 0.6061* Pressure (psi)

counts = 5v * 0.6061* Pressure (psi) / 5v * 1024counts

solve for Pressure PSI and your are good to go. Note the 5V cancel so if the 5v varies there is no effect on the accuracy of your measurement

John

You can use a Shelly UNI and a pressure sensor , it has a voltage meter and its easy to read the data with hubitat