Milight / easy bulbs

I am currently thinking about adding Hubitat to my home setup. I currently use Smartthings & Home Assistant. What I was trying to see is if you were able to tie Milight / easybulb / limitlessLED lights to Hubitat without writing my own app? I listed three but believe they are all on the same UDP protocol. I have both milights and easybulb. I love how easy home assistant is to setup this type of light.

Thanks!
B

1 Like

Have you looked into the Yeelight App. You can bring in bulbs that are MiLight and Yeelight into either of the phone apps so might work.

I have a few apps that can control the bulbs. But how would that then work via Hubitat?

Hubitat has native Yeelight support. If you add the bulbs to the Yeelight app, Hubitat should be able to discover and use them.

excellent info. Thank you both for your time. I think I will order one of these guys and give it a whirl . I have 20+ milights tied to a ESP board I programed to mimic an infinite controller.. so this functionality is pretty much needed for me.

Thanks again!
B

1 Like

Just realized you were also the one who replied on the group of lights question I asked. Thanks again for all your quick and helpful responses. I did have another issue with the milights. The yeelight app requires a login. The mi-light & easy bulb setups all use local controllers and do no outside communication. Do you use any Milight, easy bulb, limitlessled bulbs with your setup? I am thinking I will have to create some home-grown solution for these :frowning:

No problem!

I don't, but I do have yeelights. If you add your milights to the yeelights app, can you enable local lan control on them?

I was hoping to not have to create a new account, but ill give it a shot and see

So the milight/easybulbs won't work with this app. Its expecting builbs to have wifi. The bulbs I have do not connect to wifi directly. they connect via a hub that is connected to wifi. I tried to connect the hub to the app to see if would allow that, but that too did not work. So the Yeelight route for the milight easy bulbs is not going to work :frowning:

Do you have the Wi-Fi MiLight Gateway? They use the Limitless LED api... I might be able to look into implementing that if nobody else has.

2 Likes

Hey,

Yes I do have several of those. They worked in home assistant and Smart things but so far I don't see any solution within hubitat. I just got my hubitat a couple days ago, so I am still learning. Once I get more familiar with it I am happy to try to assist in any app development. Not sure how that process works on this platform yet.

1 Like

My coworker actually has these ... maybe he will let me borrow them to develop. It's very similar to SmartThings --- if you could point me to the driver you used with it there, I may even be able to get that working.

1 Like

The "SmartApp" in smart things on my setup is called MiLight Manager.

I think it came from fireboy1919 : MiLight Manager

2 Likes

How difficult is it to send UDP from Hubitat? So far I havenโ€™t gotten my head around writing code for HE. Iโ€™m sure it is simple but I must be missing something.

Once I can understand that I would like to try talking to the MiLights. Currently Iโ€™m using a Hue emulator running on a PC to integrate with Wink. I would like to remove that part if I can go directly from HE.

There's an example in the docs: HubAction Object - Hubitat Documentation

// Send UDP Message
new HubAction("My UDP Message", Protocol.LAN, [type: HubAction.Type.LAN_TYPE_UDPCLIENT])

// Send Binary UDP Message 
new HubAction("48756269746174", Protocol.LAN, [type: HubAction.Type.LAN_TYPE_UDPCLIENT, encoding: HubAction.Encoding.HEX_STRING])

If anyone is using the ESP8266 MiLight hub, I wrote a driver for it (currently supports white bulbs only, but plan to add colour bulbs in the future).

The esp8266 hub is really good, and supports more than 4 light groups (like having multiple limitlessled hubs), as well as listening for messages sent by other remotes/hubs. I currently have an rpi listening for those messages to update light status in Hubitat - hopefully in the near future MQTT will be supported on HE to do this directly!

1 Like

NIce, I have the ESP hub as well. Hoping to get that into Hubitat sometime :slight_smile: looks like you have started working on that! nice. If I get time I could also look at adding that... but time is not something I have a lot of these days!

Ive actually forked your milight and got colors working, but cant seem to find how to set default value / save last value of a current capability? Just shows as black and nulls on load. any suggestions where to look? Documentation page says "its missing" ? ha.

You need to add the attributes linked with that capability, ie. you added capability "Color Control" (shouldn't that be one word?) so the attributes you also need to add in to the same metadata definition part are RGB, color, colorName, hue and saturation (from: Driver Capability List - Hubitat Documentation )

Edit: once you've added them you can update them with sendEvent(name: "hue", value: 100, isStateChange: true)

ok, ill have to look at that. And for the name, no, "Color Control" worked fine. Just setup all my RGBW lights and they are all working just fine. I would like to get a default value set, and I guess once MQTT is setup on device, we could know the state at any given time.

Cool, I'll have to dig out my RGB bulb (old one, no W) and have a try with your update.

It still works because it ignores it if it doesn't know what it is :wink:
The way I understand it is, if you use the Hubitat documented Capabilities (in this case it's "ColorControl" from the docs) then Hubitat knows what commands and/or attributes your device supports. You can still have those commands without the capability, and they'll still work, but eg. if a rule required a device that supported "ColorControl", your devices wouldn't come up as an option.