Migrated my Airbnb to Hubitat

I migrated my main house a year or so ago... and now with SmartThings deprecating the groovy IDE, the time has come - and I've spent the last 24 hours ago re-pairing 75 devices to Hubitat. I wrote my own 'Rental Lock Automator' (auto code lock from airbnb calendar) that interfaces with the Maker API on Hubitat.

I used WebCore for all of my airbnb automations, so I just installed it on the Hubitat and moved everything over. Generally speaking, it was all easy.

Just wanted to say thank you to the Hubitat and WebCoRE developers.

Edit: Oh! And ActionTiles! It's how I interact with Hubitat :).

I'll be updating this page in the upcoming week to reflect that I'm now using Hubitat :).

15 Likes

Hi @klinquist, you inspired me to use Hubitat to automate thermostat functions for checkin/checkout. Can you expand on what integration/open source code you are running on the Pi to grab the information from Airbnb cal?

Posted earlier by @klinquist

2 Likes

What Ashok said :). Airbnb has an iCal link on the host’s page that contains reservation info.

2 Likes

Hi @klinquist , I was originally on Wink and happy for four years, and then things went south with Wink. I moved over to SmartThings and things were generally fine there as well.

I was using the Airbnb integration while with SmartThings, and it immensely simplified the management of door codes.

I like the ease of SmartThings, and have not felt like I had the time to deal with Home Assistant or Hubitat, as I heard there was a steep learning curve to both.

Between having Apple products in my home and hearing that Hubitat has a native HomeKit integration, I decided to get a Hubitat hub and play a bit.

I read about your Airbnb integration with a Pi. I’ve not done anything with a Pi in the past but saw that you said if you had more time you’d just write the code and do it properly in Groovy.

I assume if this project/process were written in Groovy, then it would run on the Hubitat Hub as an App or something along those lines?

Could it be be possible to re-write or edit the code used for this process that was created for SmartThings?

Correct.

RBoy's Rental Lock Automator is commercial/not open source, it would have to be re-written from scratch.

I already had a pi running at my airbnb, and my integration seems to be working well, so the justification & motivation to re-write it in groovy is small :).

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming @klinquist!